*WARNING* LONG POST TO FOLLOW

So a new term has popped up around the CCSLC over the past few years. The term "Original 6 dress up." It seems to have originated with the Tampa Bay Lightning's unveil of their current uniform set in 2011 that aped the Maple Leafs' colours and the Red Wings' striping pattern and picked up steam when the Carolina Hurricanes just unveiled a new uniform set five days ago, part of which aped the Red Wings' colours and the Maple Leafs' striping pattern. Some have even applied it to the new Dallas Stars set because, despite their unique colour scheme, their new home uniform shares striping pattern similarities with the Rangers' and Blackhawks' home sweaters.

Yet the term has also been retroactively applied to a wave of faux-retro uniform designs that have swept the league recently, with many people applying the term to uniforms unveiled as far back as 2003. Like most terms popularized here, such as "BFBS," "clown suits," and "POTD" many people have misappropriated the term "Original 6 dress up" to the point that when using it or discussing the arguments associated with it they no longer understand what exactly it means.

So I thought I'd start this thread to both help explain the meaning and proper use of the term, as well as provide a single place for us to all discuss the trends that seem to have led to its emergence in the first place.

First, a history lesson. The term "Original 6" refers to the Boston Bruins, Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, New York Rangers, and Toronto Maple Leafs. Now despite what the name says these teams are not the NHL's original six teams. In fact of the six only two, the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs (then known as the Toronto Arenas), were founding NHL teams.

The original five NHL teams included those two, the Montreal Wanderers, original Ottawa Senators, and the Quebec Bulldogs.

The Bruins became the NHL's first American team in 1924, and the Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Cougars (later Red Wings), and New York Rangers would join in 1926.

The Wanderers folded during the NHL's first season, the Bulldogs moved to Hamilton and then to New York to become the Americans, the Montreal Maroons and Pittsburgh Pirates/Philadelphia Quakers joined, and the Ottawa Senators would move to St. Louis to become the Eagles. These teams all folded, mostly due to the Great Depression. The last of these teams to die off would be the New York Americans, who held on as the Brooklyn Americans for one year. At the end of the 1941-42 season they folded, leaving the NHL with six teams until 1967. These remaining six teams became known as the Original Six, as they made up the league during the advent of television, and thus many people who experienced the NHL for the first time in a mass media sense knew these six teams as the "original" NHL clubs. The name's stuck, even though only two of them were around since the start of the NHL.

I mention all of this to perhaps instill the idea that while the "Original 6" were on their own during the NHL's first true golden age and have tons of history and tradition between them they are not the be-all-end-all of hockey tradition. Though not the same franchise as the original Senators the current Ottawa team is carrying a torch older then the NHL itself and the teams called the "Original 6." Are they playing "Original 6 dess up" with their fauxback alternate? No. They're honouring something much older.

So let's really get down to it now that the mystique of the Original 6 has been tarnished a bit.

We'll get started with the aesthetic side of things by looking at the current uniforms worn by the Original 6 teams. While the O6 teams have tweaked their looks over the years (some more then others) each team is currently wearing a uniform that, all in all, represents their traditional aesthetic.

Boston Bruins

Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Red Wings

Montreal Canadiens

New York Rangers

Toronto Maple Leafs

Ok, so those are the Original 6 teams looking like Original 6 teams. Now that we've all had a chance to take in what O6 teams look like let's turn our attention to the teams accused of playing "Original 6 dress up." We'll start with the ones that the term actually applies to.

Carolina Hurricanes

Tampa Bay Lightning

Both these teams are doing a kind of pick and choose activity from O6 menu of design. The Lightning are wearing a Red Wings striping pattern in Maple Leafs colours and the Hurricanes are wearing a Maple Leafs striping pattern in Red Wings colours.

Carolina Hurricanes explained

Tampa Bay Lightning explained

In both cases you have newer teams (the Lightning a 1992 expansion team, the Hurricanes the result of a 1997 relocation rebrand) using striping patterns AND colour schemes used by O6 teams. You could just go ahead and put the Lightning in full on Leafs templates and the Hurricanes in full on Red Wings templates and it wouldn't alter the overall design of either. And if you thought that the differences in striping between Lighting/Leafs and Hurricanes/Red Wings make enough of a difference so that you can tell them apart on the ice you would be mistaken. In the two years since the Lightning switched to their Original 6 dress up look Lightning/Maple Leafs games have become borderline unwatchable due to looking like inter-squad scrimmages.

Pictured: Nonsense

If you don't think that's bad, keep in mind it's a still image. Imagine two teams dressed like that playing at the fast pace you see in the NHL. The scrimmage effect becomes incredibly obvious. Given that the Lightning in Leafs colours and a Wings template was enough to cause that effect I can only assume the Hurricanes in Wings colours and a Leafs template will cause the same effect when the Red Wings visit Carolina.

The Hurricanes and the Lightning further legitimize the term as it applies to them when you consider the men behind the rebrands of both teams. Steve Yzerman, the Lightning's General Manager, played for the Red Wings his entire career, winning three Stanley Cups with the team. Peter Karmanos Jr. owns the Hurricanes and is a Detroit native and life long Red Wings fan.

Both teams even cited the Original 6 as "influences." The Lightning stated that they specified the blue they wanted to use as the same shade the Maple Leafs use and the PR word salad the Hurricanes' staff put out when they unveiled their set talked about the Original 6 being "an influence."

In short both the Lightning and the Hurricanes use templates and colour schemes traditionally used by Original 6 teams, had redesigns spearheaded by people with sentimental attachments to the Original 6, and specifically mentioned the Original 6 as influences on their designs. If any two teams deserve to be labelled as playing "Original 6 dress up" it's these two for the above stated reasons.

Now you'll notice that the Hurricanes' white road sweater does not follow the same pattern as their home reds. In addition to a different striping pattern they have also included black and silver to the striping scheme. Does the road Hurricanes uniform play "Original 6 dress up"? In a word, no. Simply having a straightforward striping pattern is not enough to qualify as playing "Original 6 dress up." Here's a snapshot of the NHL uniform-wise from the early 1990s to illustrate that point.

http://nhluniforms.c...93/1992-93.html

The NHL had twenty-four teams for the 1992-93 season. So eighteen teams employed some form of traditional striping. Were they playing "Original 6 dress up"? No. That's just the traditional aesthetic for a hockey sweater's design. No different then the way a baseball uniform is designed with a wordmark and number across the front. Simply having straightforward striping along the hem and sleeves of a sweater does not mean they are playing "Original 6 dress up."

Any dislike of the Hurricanes' new road look is based on the fact that many, myself included, consider it underwhelming when compared to the the look they had prior to the redesign. That does not mean that they're playing "Original 6 dress up" though. It simply means for that team wearing something more unique and out there was preferable to something more expected. While the Hurricanes' red home sweater is a true case of "Original 6 dress up" the white road sweater is not. It may have failings in other areas, but it is not stealing an Original 6 team's look simply by having a simple striping pattern.

Which brings us to the Dallas Stars and their new redesign.

Dallas Stars

Some people here cried foul and accused them of playing "Original 6 dress up" too. Probably not helped by the fact that they unveiled their look less then twelve hours after Carolina unveiled theirs. Well we have to ask. Are they? No. For many of the same reasons the Carolina Hurricanes' new white road sweater isn't. Simply having a traditional striping pattern does not mean the team is playing "Original 6 dress up."

While the Dallas Stars' new home sweater has striping pattern similarities with the New York Rangers' and Chicago Blackhaws' home sweaters (see above) the Stars avoid playing "Original 6 dress up" by using a unique kelly green and black colour scheme. No one's going to mistake the Rangers and Stars. Had the Stars gone with their original plan of a red, white, and blue redesign maybe this would have happened, but as it is they went with kelly green and black, so it didn't. Besides, the Stars have a long history of using traditional striping patterns.

http://nhluniforms.c...NorthStars.html

So while the Hurricanes' road uniform and the Stars' redesign both employ traditional striping patterns that does not mean they're playing "Original 6 dress up." It simply means those uniforms use a striping pattern more in line with hockey aesthetic tradition which is not the same thing at all.

CONTINUED IN PART II

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would still call the Stars' sweaters Original 6 Dress-Up. The color scheme isn't enough to outweigh the home sweater's glaring similarity to the Rangers' home, and the road is very Maple Leaf-esque recolored in green and black. Also, much like the Hurricanes, Coyotes, and Lightning, they have the awkward combination of a very modern logo and very faux-retro sweaters.

I understand that the Stars are a long-established franchise with tradition, but Dallas is not a traditional hockey market and they won a Cup in distinctly non-traditional uniforms. Their new uniforms aren't nearly as bad as the collegiate crap they had worn previously but they still come across as trying too hard to portray a level of tradition that doesn't exist in Dallas.

And yes, I agree straight hem stripes don't automatically make a sweater O6DU, but it's possible to have straight striping designs that aren't exactly the same as or at least very close to designs that Original 6 teams already use.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

im not a big hockey follower, but from a football fans perspective it seems like these O6 designs set the cultural standards for hockey. what i see in those O6 uniforms are the traditional elements and style that is comparable to the Browns, Packers, Colts, Bills, Cowboys, 49ers, etc. they make up the major parts of the graphic language of the sport. i dont think the Hurricanes have great uniform, but i do think it's acceptable and it looks like a hockey uniform.

sports design seems to always have been behind slightly in graphic design trends. there's a lot of web 2.0 principles still being applied to sports design today (heavy layering of embellishments) but across the board all the 4 major sports are catching up to where graphic design was years ago. simplified elements and bright, retro inspired colors. thats what i see in the Stars identity, the Broncos switching to an orange primary jersey last year, the Astros and Blue Jays throwing back to older designs, the Nuggets bringing back an old design, and on and on. as graphic design has found it's way more linked to the past than creating something completely new and pushing forward, the same is going on in the sports niche. so its not surprising to me that the Stars and Hurricanes have embraced traditional culture standards, and gone with a more timeless identity. at least in the sense that it will have a long shelf life without becoming stale, but it does seem to fit within the zeitgeist of modern design

if there is one major thing that bothers me about general public opinion its that there is no grey area. something is either great or terrible. it's OK to have a design that just works well and is timeless. the brand will add value to it over time. i think the Hurricanes fall into that grey area. it's just OK.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Part II

Now let's talk about the uniforms accused of being "Original 6 dress up" retroactively since the advent of the term in 2011 when the Lightning unveiled their current uniforms.

Columbus Blue Jackets (alternate only)

Florida Panthers (alternate only)

Minnesota Wild (home and alternate only)

Nashville Predators 2009-11 (alternate only)

Phoenix Coyotes

Pittsburgh Penguins (alternate only)

St. Louis Blues (alternate only)

Are these uniforms playing "Original 6 dress up"? Again the answer is no. Straight hem and arm stripes are not enough to qualify as playing "Original 6 dress up."

The Coyotes probably come closest, though their 2003-07 uniform set was closer in that it included hem stripes. The current Coyotes set, which lacks the hem stripes, is thus set further away from the Original 6 aesthetic. I think the problem with the Coyotes set is that it employs an Original 6 idea, but not an Original 6 aesthetic. The idea is simple, white and only one other colour. The Coyotes avoid playing "Original 6 dress up," however, by picking a colour that's unique to them; maroon. If the Montreal Maroons were still playing and we were talking about "Original 7 dress up" then the Coyotes' set would probably qualify. They don't though, so the Coyotes avoid the label by managing to use a colour no Original 6 team has ever used. Even if they employ it in a very Original 6-like way.

The Predators' 2009-11 alternates also come close with a roundel (more on that later) alternate and a vaguely Maple Leafs-esque colour scheme and striping pattern. And while this uniform did draw a few Maple Leafs comparisons when they were used I think the additions of black and silver, as well as the very non-Original 6 element of sublimated checker patterns in the stripes is enough to separate it from being "Original 6 dress up."

The Wild are an interesting case. Due to the retroactive nature of the phrase "Original 6 dress up" on these boards they have perhaps the earliest uniform to have the label of "Original 6 dress up." That being the jersey that serves as the bases of their current home sweater, their 2003-07 alternate sweater.

Minnesota Wild 2003-2007

What's funny is that I was around when that thing was unveiled. In fact it may have been the first big unveiling I was a member for. And this place LOVED it, especially in comparison to the decidedly not-Original 6-but-still-traditionally-striped (see how that works?) 2001 Edmonton Oilers alternate. Yet now we have members who weren't even posting back then applying the new "Original 6 dress up" label to it.

It's not the case though. The colours of red, green, wheat, and gold are unlike anything any Original 6 team wore. While the roundel could be seen as O6 inspired (more on that later) its striping is also unique. Nor it or the current version that serves as the Wild's home sweater with added phantom yokes can really be called "Original 6 dress up." The Lightning look like Leafs. The Hurricanes look like the Wings. The Wild, despite going traditional, still look like the Wild.

And the same can be said for the new green alternate. Which gets perhaps more "Original 6 dress up" accusations then the home reds. Again we look at the uniforms the Original 6 actually wore. No one wore green as a primary colour. No one used a stylized script like the Wild use. No one used that striping pattern. And I'm pretty sure no one wore phantom yokes. Like the green Wild alternate with the script or not, you cannot accuse it of playing "Original 6 dress up."

Now onto the Blue Jackets, Panthers, Penguins, and Blues. And because the CCSLC is the CCSLC I'm going to state up front that nothing I'm about to say means I'm defending the designs of the alternate sweaters in question. I'm just discussing them as they are. So everyone collectively settle down.

The notion that the alternates employed here are "Original 6 dress up" is ludicrous. If ANYTHING they play "Original 1967 expansion team dress up," but the Penguins and Blues are '67 expansion teams anyway.

To analyze these uniforms we have to look back at the team that started the trend they're all based on, the Pittsburgh Penguins. During the 2007-2008 season the NHL held its first "Winter Classic," a game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Buffalo Sabres. Both teams wore throwbacks for that game. While the blue and gold Sabres throwbacks were on everyone's mind due to its use as an alternate with the then-recent Buffaslug redesign the Penguins reminded everyone that, hey, they used to wear double blue and white with a roundel logo. While the Minnesota Wild's 2003 alternates brought roundels back it was the Penguins with their high profile Winter Classic set that started the trend. They used the Winter Classic throwback (originally worn as the coloured uniform from 1968-71) as a full time alternate. Coincidentally the Blues also unveiled an alternate that year. A blue jersey with mostly white stripes and their logo in a roundel. In 2009 the Panthers unveiled their double blue roundel alternate sweater, and the Blue Jackets followed suit in 2010. Suddenly a trend was born.

While the Blues, Panthers, and Beej can be accused of jumping on a popular trend that does not mean they were or are playing "Original 6 dress up."

While roundels were used by the Original 6 they were only used by one team. The Chicago Blackhawks.

http://nhluniforms.c...Blackhawks.html

They last wore a roundel full time during the 1954-55 season. And they most certainly didn't wear double blue. In fact the two O6 teams that did wear blue, the Rangers and the Leafs, have never worn a roundel. Like I said the double blue roundel trend got started with those Penguins throwbacks during the 2008 Winter Classic. If anything any sweater that apes that style is ripping off an Original 1967 expansion team look. Not the Original 6.

The current Penguins alternate, a fauxback, isn't playing "Original 6 dress up" either. It's taking various elements from Penguins uniforms in the past (mostly the team's inaugural 1967-68 set) and putting them together in different ways to make a new uniform. Bad history? Yes. Original 6 dress up? No.

So to recap....

Simply wearing traditional striping patterns does mean a team is playing "Original 6 dress up." That's simply the standard style of the hockey sweater. It only qualifies as "Original 6 dress up" if a look copies the striping and/or colour scheme of an Original 6 team with an attempt to emulate the traditional look that team has established over decades, maybe even a century, of existence.

Bash the Wild's home and alternate, the Blue Jackets' alternate, the new Stars look, and the Hurricanes' roads all you want. There are legitimate reasons to dislike those uniforms. If you accuse them of playing "Original 6 dress up," however, you're using the term wrong.

credit to NHLuniforms.com for most of the images.

I'm just not seeing any reason to draw comparison between the Stars and the Rangers whatsoever. It's likely that in the design process the final home uniform just happened to end up having a similar striping design without deliberately aping on the Rangers. Their colour scheme and logo package should be more than enough to set them apart. None of the O6 teams wear green either, so we can't really call it O6 Dress Up unless you want to stretch as far back as the Toronto St. Pats, and even then it's a weak argument.

The Stars franchise name and history stretches back to 1967, they had a classic look back then and their new uniform is more of a modern take on that. Just because they won a Stanley Cup in a wacky, modern uniform doesn't mean they should necessarily stick to something like that. What if it were, say, the Boston Bruins who relocated, became the Tampa Bay Bruins and won a Stanley Cup in a similarly wacky modern uniform? Would the same O6 Dress Up arguments be made for them today?

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I find it amusing that Buffalo Sabres uniforms are never mentioned despite the fact they are a direct and intentional copy of the Toronto Maple Leafs uniform from the 1969-70 season...

tigercatssignature-1.png

I find it amusing that Buffalo Sabres uniforms are never mentioned despite the fact they are a direct and intentional copy of the Toronto Maple Leafs uniform from the 1969-70 season...

1967-1970 actually, but your point stands. That was pretty blatant, but I was mostly interested in how the term was applied to modern uniforms and trends in the NHL.

sports design seems to always have been behind slightly in graphic design trends. there's a lot of web 2.0 principles still being applied to sports design today (heavy layering of embellishments) but across the board all the 4 major sports are catching up to where graphic design was years ago. simplified elements and bright, retro inspired colors. thats what i see in the Stars identity, the Broncos switching to an orange primary jersey last year, the Astros and Blue Jays throwing back to older designs, the Nuggets bringing back an old design, and on and on. as graphic design has found it's way more linked to the past than creating something completely new and pushing forward, the same is going on in the sports niche. so its not surprising to me that the Stars and Hurricanes have embraced traditional culture standards, and gone with a more timeless identity. at least in the sense that it will have a long shelf life without becoming stale, but it does seem to fit within the zeitgeist of modern design

This is something I think so many people miss when talking about all of this.

There was a trend for a while where each design basically had to top the others in ridiculousness, and yes, you still see it to a small degree, but the vast majority of design in general goes the other way.

No fans want to wear sweaters full of giant warning flags and NASCAR numbers. Not even in North Carolina.

Unlike say, college football, where things are being designed for 18 year olds, professional looks are being designed for merchandise movers, an older demographic who doesn't want to look ridiculous when they go out to a game or buy a jersey.

im not a big hockey follower, but from a football fans perspective it seems like these O6 designs set the cultural standards for hockey. what i see in those O6 uniforms are the traditional elements and style that is comparable to the Browns, Packers, Colts, Bills, Cowboys, 49ers, etc. they make up the major parts of the graphic language of the sport. i dont think the Hurricanes have great uniform, but i do think it's acceptable and it looks like a hockey uniform.

if there is one major thing that bothers me about general public opinion its that there is no grey area. something is either great or terrible. it's OK to have a design that just works well and is timeless. the brand will add value to it over time. i think the Hurricanes fall into that grey area. it's just OK.

Well said. While I don't agree with you about the Hurricanes' home red sweater for the reasons listed in my first post I do think the Hurricanes' road look falls into that grey area. It's not trying to look like an O6 team, but it's not as good as what came before, in my opinion. It's an ok hockey sweater. I wish they would have used it for the basis of the home reds if they were dead set on this redesign, but it's nothing special. Just sort of there and unoffensive.

No fans want to wear sweaters full of giant warning flags and NASCAR numbers. Not even in North Carolina.

The current Hurricanes' look hasn't tested very well with the team's fanbase.

I'll grant you the Rangers comparison, but I think the kelly green and black colour scheme is more then enough to let it stand on its own. It's a brilliant colour scheme unique not just to the NHL but the Big Four in general. The only other team that uses it would be the Boston Celtics, and only then for an alternate uniform.

The Leafs comparison, I just don't see. The Leafs' traditional two striped pattern as, as long as its been used, followed a simple A-B-A colour placement pattern. The Hurricanes' new home striping is closer because it uses that A-B-A two colour pattern. They just swapped red in for blue.

The Stars' road striping pattern, however, goes A-B-C. The black stripe at the top doesn't repeat after the white space. It turns to green, which effectively makes it a different pattern in my opinion. If both stripes were green or black I could see your point. As-is I think it's unique.

The Stars' road uniform simply makes use of striping tricks that the Red Wings still employ and that the Devils used to. That is to use the base colour of the sweater as part of the striping pattern. So let's include the base in each sweater's pattern.

The home is green-white-black-white-green. The road is white-black-white-green-white. That black-white-green portion is what's being replicated on both sweaters using the bases of each sweater to help "fill in" the rest of the pattern.

I'm just not seeing any reason to draw comparison between the Stars and the Rangers whatsoever.

Really?

tqWZKgo.png

New York's centre stripe is much thicker than Dallas, who also has a differently coloured collar. The stripes are also too close together on the white jersey to draw comparison with that particular Leafs jersey, not to mention the Stars lack the sleeve dip.

I still think Dallas gets a pass here because neither their colour scheme or logo package makes any obvious attempt at "paying tribute" to other franchises.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

If their terrible prior look was selling well, they wouldn't be unveiling new looks. People are bitching and moaning now, but of course they're going to sell better than the prior look did.

If their terrible prior look was selling well, they wouldn't be unveiling new looks.

Not necessarily. Their owner all but said this was a change for the sake of change situation.

People are bitching and moaning now, but of course they're going to sell better than the prior look did.

The Buffaslug, perhaps one of most universally hated designs of all time, sold like hotcakes too. Initial sales bumps for new merchandise =/= fan approval of new designs.

1967-1970 actually, but your point stands. That was pretty blatant, but I was mostly interested in how the term was applied to modern uniforms and trends in the NHL.

Well I suspect the main reason most don't realize the connection is that the Leafs switched to a new uniform and logo the same season the Sabres entered the league, so it wasn't until recently the teams each wore the same template. Though I have no idea if the Leafs have ever worn their retro 3rds when they've played Buffalo.

Still a lot of Buffalo fans demanded the return of those original uniforms and you don't hear the complaint of original six dress up with regards to the Sabres despite being the most blatant usage. I have no problem with it myself. Don't care. But my feeling is that most of the complaints come from those that want the uniforms of their teams to look a certain way and are having a tantrum when they don't get their way, and are trying any excuse to poke holes in it. I have a three year old, so I've see it before... :D

tigercatssignature-1.png

Hell, these are even more similar to the Stars' road look:

432.jpg

Neither are exactly the same, but they're close enough for the Stars' road sweaters to be far from original. Neither are Original Six teams, but they're still old sweaters that the Stars' road look resembles.

I'd be surprised if this jersey factored into the design of the Stars road jerseys at all. And even if it did, the Cup winning look that so many people love is a direct rip of an All-Star jersey. I still think this idea of Original Six dress up is being taken way too far. There's only so many ways you can put straight stripes on a hockey jersey. Whatever a team comes up with is bound to look like something that another team has done at some point and that's not a bad thing.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived