• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they don't want to return to the Cup-era set, the Lightning should just take the useless piping off their alternate, use this logo as the crest, and make white and black versions for the road and third respectively.

mTY7Eui.png

This it's what the Lightning should have done. I'd personally go with the blue as the home but neither is bad. All their previous looks have been awful. Their current uniforms look really good, but are Original Six Dress Up. Those alternates have the best ballgame of blue, black, and silver the Lightning have ever worn by far.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The smallest nitpick added that the underarm splotch, where the victory stripes are, should not override the arm striping pattern.

I, too, prefer a black home to a blue home, but that's splitting hairs on preference. I would settle for a concept akin to that in a heartbeat, but we all know that another rebrand isn't in the beckons for quite some time to come.

spacer.png

im not a big hockey follower, but from a football fans perspective it seems like these O6 designs set the cultural standards for hockey. what i see in those O6 uniforms are the traditional elements and style that is comparable to the Browns, Packers, Colts, Bills, Cowboys, 49ers, etc. they make up the major parts of the graphic language of the sport. i dont think the Hurricanes have great uniform, but i do think it's acceptable and it looks like a hockey uniform.

I agree.

"Original 6 Dress Up" is to me a snarky term intended to demean a perfectly legitimate design aesthetic.

There's nothing wrong with a relatively new team wanting to follow the design cues that have come to define its sport.

My argument in relation to the whole "Dallas isn't O6DU but Carolina and Tampa Bay are because of the colours" is this:

All three teams went in with basically the same design philosophy. They all wanted a solid colour with basic, traditional striping. All three teams used an existing colour (or pretty close to it, but in each case a colour you would associate with their older looks). Dallas are getting away with it because their existing colour was green.

My argument in relation to the whole "Dallas isn't O6DU but Carolina and Tampa Bay are because of the colours" is this:

All three teams went in with basically the same design philosophy. They all wanted a solid colour with basic, traditional striping. All three teams used an existing colour (or pretty close to it, but in each case a colour you would associate with their older looks). Dallas are getting away with it because their existing colour was green.

I completely agree with this.

I really think the issue with the Lightning and the Carolina jerseys are that they're too plain and look similar to other current jerseys in that league, not that they're trying to look like Original Six teams, which I have no problem with in principle.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they're all "getting away with it"... unless you know something that the rest of us don't.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they're all "getting away with it"... unless you know something that the rest of us don't.

The way i see it is the stars have enough history (including north stars) that they can go classic and not have to worry about playing O6DU, tampa and carolina definitely are doing it though because they are new teams, with a modern look that was identifiable to them, and dropping them in order to look like a classic team and copying O6 templates and colors to look like wannabe leafs and wings, thus playing O6DU

From my perspective, when I see the stars new duds, I think of them as their own autonomous jerseys. I see a look in and of itself.

When I see Tampa's jerseys, I see knockoffs. As Ice_Cap put it, Detroit jerseys in Toronto's colours. Vice Versa for Carolina.

I just mean in the sense that there is absolutely no argument over whether Carolina or Tampa Bay fall into the O6DU category, but some people (including the OP) have been arguing that Dallas don't because no O6 team wears green.

As I said before, the three teams rebranded with a very similar design philosophy in mind. I don't think Tampa Bay and Carolina should be dragged through the mud and Dallas lauded when really, all three teams decided to go with O6 inspired, simplified, predominantly one solid colour and traditionally striped designs.

im not a big hockey follower, but from a football fans perspective it seems like these O6 designs set the cultural standards for hockey. what i see in those O6 uniforms are the traditional elements and style that is comparable to the Browns, Packers, Colts, Bills, Cowboys, 49ers, etc. they make up the major parts of the graphic language of the sport. i dont think the Hurricanes have great uniform, but i do think it's acceptable and it looks like a hockey uniform.

I agree.

"Original 6 Dress Up" is to me a snarky term intended to demean a perfectly legitimate design aesthetic.

There's nothing wrong with a relatively new team wanting to follow the design cues that have come to define its sport.

Yeah, I guess I just don't get what the problem is. If, just as a "for instance", the Seattle Seahawks decided to dump their current look and instead went with a look heavily inspired by the Browns or Packers, my only response would be Thank God.

The Lightning have had horrible horrible uniforms all through their existence. The crest with the state outline and the lettering and the lightning bolt was probably the worst in hockey. And black and royal blue is a terrible color scheme... just awful. OK, maybe the did copy someone else's look, but at least it's looks that don't outright suck.

I think people take issue when a team is relatively young and has never had a "classic" or "traditional" look, then switch to one. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I think that's why people have more problems with the Lightning and Hurricanes vs the Stars and say the Flyers, who ditched an edge template for a more old-school (but not O6) look.

It's like people don't have a problem with throwing back, but do with fauxing back.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Imagine the outcry if instead of rebranding to the south beach taffy uniform the Miami Marlins currently wear they had went with uniforms nearly identical to the Yankees.

51f7974A0-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

comme ça?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

mTY7Eui.png

I would be ecstatic if Tampa Bay did this. Those are clean & (somewhat) traditional jerseys that don't throw the entire team history away. The only thing Tampa Bay got right with it's 2011 redesign is making blue the primary colour. Ditching black from the striping and silver from the crests was unforgivable.

I think people take issue when a team is relatively young and has never had a "classic" or "traditional" look, then switch to one. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I think that's why people have more problems with the Lightning and Hurricanes vs the Stars and say the Flyers, who ditched an edge template for a more old-school (but not O6) look.

It's like people don't have a problem with throwing back, but do with fauxing back.

There was absolutely nothing modern, or "un-classic" about the Lightning's original look. Very simple striping, three colors in the jersey, about as simple as it gets.

I agree.

Yeah, I guess I just don't get what the problem is. If, just as a "for instance", the Seattle Seahawks decided to dump their current look and instead went with a look heavily inspired by the Browns or Packers, my only response would be Thank God.

The Lightning have had horrible horrible uniforms all through their existence. The crest with the state outline and the lettering and the lightning bolt was probably the worst in hockey. And black and royal blue is a terrible color scheme... just awful. OK, maybe the did copy someone else's look, but at least it's looks that don't outright suck.

Quite the feat, considering there was never a crest like what you've described.

What we have here is another example of what's wrong with hockey fans; the constant need to divide "them" from "us". In no other sport do you hear things as ridiculous as teams needing to base their look upon when they started playing.

As for my $0.02 on my favorite team, I am frustrated with the current uniforms because they lost what makes the team unique and are just a few tweaks from being great. A unique color scheme was lost when the silver and black disappeared and even more sadly it has never been applied correctly. Fill in the logo with the textured silver every other crest has had and put some thing black stripes on either side of the arm and hem stripes (spaced just a little bit apart so the primary color stand between them) and imo you really have something.

There was absolutely nothing modern, or "un-classic" about the Lightning's original look. Very simple striping, three colors in the jersey, about as simple as it gets.

I agree.

Quite the feat, considering there was never a crest like what you've described.

What we have here is another example of what's wrong with hockey fans; the constant need to divide "them" from "us". In no other sport do you hear things as ridiculous as teams needing to base their look upon when they started playing.

As for my $0.02 on my favorite team, I am frustrated with the current uniforms because they lost what makes the team unique and are just a few tweaks from being great. A unique color scheme was lost when the silver and black disappeared and even more sadly it has never been applied correctly. Fill in the logo with the textured silver every other crest has had and put some thing black stripes on either side of the arm and hem stripes (spaced just a little bit apart so the primary color stand between them) and imo you really have something.

I'd consider their number fonts the first few years to be pretty non-traditional, their alts have always been non traditional, and their crest was non traditional.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived