Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

On this subject, does anybody remember the New Years Eve game between the 49ers/Broncos in 2006? The bad snow storms in Denver caused the Fox trucks not to get their, so they used stuff from Fox Sports Rocky Mountain, and thus for probably the only time ever, you saw Fox Sports Net graphics during an NFL game. Watching that game was weird because the picture quality clearly wasn't on the normal level of the typical Fox Broadcast, I didn't have an HDTV at the time but even then you could just tell how off it looked. Also, the grass looked awful.

Poor quality, but this is from the game you're talking about:

7H82pQH.png

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

MLB on FOX 2005 (World Series) - 2007

These were the best Fox graphics ever and was also used for the NFL aswell. Current Fox graphics are good too, but these were just so good.

On this subject, does anybody remember the New Years Eve game between the 49ers/Broncos in 2006? The bad snow storms in Denver caused the Fox trucks not to get their, so they used stuff from Fox Sports Rocky Mountain, and thus for probably the only time ever, you saw Fox Sports Net graphics during an NFL game. Watching that game was weird because the picture quality clearly wasn't on the normal level of the typical Fox Broadcast, I didn't have an HDTV at the time but even then you could just tell how off it looked. Also, the grass looked awful.

I have the mildest preference towards the black background compared to the silver (chrome?) background, but the gist was the same. While I have no problems with what they've used (in some form) since 2009, I have to agree with your thinking. I loved those things, especially when you compare it to what CBS used around that same time.

And that game was the Joe Nedney field goal to end the Broncos season. I remember that game, but I think I just completely overlooked the fact that they used the FSN graphics for that game. I mean, I know they did, I saw it, I just didn't think anything of it. Probably because the FSN graphics and banner (at the time) were so much better.

--

If we're going to call it the Mousepad graphics, that's fine. I always thought that scoreboard was an abomination. It felt like an enormous downgrade from what they used from 2003-2005 (NFL) before that. And I had zero problems with their 2009-2010 score bug, either.

spacer.png

We've come a long way since the original FoxBox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPlY6OWwBA8

It was a goofy shape and the rest of the graphics package was a mess. But I wouldn't mind a return to something simple like this. Small, out of the way, translucent. No network logo, no ticker hogging the bottom of the screen. No giant down-and-distance arrows on the field. Those were the days.

Really? I thought that was a great update, but then I'm exceedingly minimalist in my sports chyron tastes.

I can be fine with minimalism, it's just I thought that it was a complete 180 from the bells-and-whistles stuff they had directly preceding that; the type of bells-and-whistles stuff I truly enjoyed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw75Z6vm1kc

(I'm posting a video to allow for the full display of animation and everything.)

I enjoyed those. I enjoyed those a lot.

But I could say that about a lot of Fox graphics ever since the second FoxBox came into being, sans the Mousepad banner (the rest of the graphics were fine). I think a lot of their sports production is lousy, but I've always enjoyed the graphics.

spacer.png

Always loved CBS' package from the early 80s. I believe the exact era this was used was from 1981 to 1985. Amazing that I still remember it even though I was in diapers for most of the time when it was used.

cbs_1981_1985_zpsa6f4cefb.png

FYI, it was this package that begat what is now an official NCAA logo.

NCAA-logo-jpg.jpg

• Like 1

Poor quality, but this is from the game you're talking about:

7H82pQH.png

I remember and damn shame FOX didn't used the FSN graphics look so clean.

I know I am opening the can of worms doing this...but what was probably the first thing to use a fixed graphic showing the score of the game? Videogames of course!

Here is the NHL Series from the genesis...(NHL Hockey, NHLPA 93, NHL 94 and NHL 95)

yr4j.png

Interestingly got NHL 96 - 98 they changed it probably to look more like TV at the time, so they went with just a clock and the score would come up during faceoffs. They would use the exact same graphics for Nhl 97 and 98.

s1tz.png

I know I am opening the can of worms doing this...but what was probably the first thing to use a fixed graphic showing the score of the game? Videogames of course!

Here is the NHL Series from the genesis...(NHL Hockey, NHLPA 93, NHL 94 and NHL 95)

yr4j.png

Interestingly got NHL 96 - 98 they changed it probably to look more like TV at the time, so they went with just a clock and the score would come up during faceoffs. They would use the exact same graphics for Nhl 97 and 98.

s1tz.png

Love the. NHL 95 graphics was the best kinda reminded me of the CBS graphics from 91-97.

Yeah, those NBA Live 98 graphics were awesome for it's time. I'm still a little surprised 2K hasn't tried to make their scorebugs and graphics like NBATV or even TNT. IIRC, wasn't the font used for that the same font for the Broncos names?

nbaliv98_790screen001.jpg

Also another great 90's basketball game graphics package was NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC. Had the NBA on NBC theme song and full graphics package. It's funny how it was probably the most authentic graphics package for 1999 and it was used for a 3-D NBA Jam evolution with players as muscular as Mr. Olympias.

On the subject of Videogame graphics, Madden '96 on the Playstation had the NFL on Fox graphics in use at the time. The game was never released because it was an inferior product for the Playstation. Had it been released, it would have been the first sports video game to utilize broadcast presentation until NBA Live '97 with it's TNT and TBS graphics.

gameplay-6.jpg

gameplay-8.jpg

gameplay-14.jpg

I believe it used the exact team logos Fox did for it's presentation, too.

control.jpg

Grabbed-Frame-2.jpg

NCAA Basketball 10 on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 had CBS and ESPN. Unfortunately, that was the only good part about the game.

959187_20091119_screen017.jpg

959188_20091119_screen009.jpg

The last few NCAA Football games and the current (yet awful) NBA Live 14 are using ESPN presentation aswell. Don't forget about the 2K games in 2004 and 2005.

bSLCtu2.png

Yeah, those NBA Live 98 graphics were awesome for it's time. I'm still a little surprised 2K hasn't tried to make their scorebugs and graphics like NBATV or even TNT. IIRC, wasn't the font used for that the same font for the Broncos names?

nbaliv98_790screen001.jpg

Also another great 90's basketball game graphics package was NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC. Had the NBA on NBC theme song and full graphics package. It's funny how it was probably the most authentic graphics package for 1999 and it was used for a 3-D NBA Jam evolution with players as muscular as Mr. Olympias.

I know what you mean but then again I love the NBA 2K graphics cause just like MLB The Show they make it like if those were real network. Speaking of 2K I used to loved how they used the ESPN graphics for NFL 2K5!

Fox Sports NBA Basketball 2000 (PC, PS1)

2mxogow.jpg

ESPN National Hockey Night (PS2)

2u60jtl.jpg

NBA 2K3 (Gamecube, PS2, Xbox)

s3q3bl.jpg

ESPN NFL 2K5 (PS2, Xbox)

28k1o9z.jpg

NHL 2K3 (Gamecube, PS2, Xbox)

2liv2bt.jpg

Back when NHL 2K was actually better than EA NHL series and the NFL 2K5 graphics look so clean I wish 2K was allowed to make NFL game again.

• 2 weeks later...