Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

These are screenshots from NBA Final from 1970-2017, in 5 year increments, at least thru 2000. Notice how sparse the graphics are in the early ABC years, and they only flashed the score periodically.

38972642861_a0266c375a_b.jpg

1975. The CBS broadcasts likewise were generic and only flashed the score after baskets, though more frequently than ABC.

38972642701_a9d926ced5_o.jpg

1980. Notice the CBS logo is absent..which would be heresy today.

38972642651_50fcb3d8f3_o.jpg

1985: The graphics are much bolder, with strong drop shadow. Still crude by today's standards, especially the cheesy scoreboard clock inset

l38972642551_52a7f555c4_o.jpg

1990. The bold graphics are a little less crude.

38256445034_c5c85ab31e_o.jpg

1995. When NBC took over they moved the graphics into the modern age. 

38972649261_198047e447_o.jpg

2000. This incarnation was the best, IMO. They did a great job of flashing the graphics after baskets and periodically during game, and eliminated useless screen clutter by abandoning the bar. Numbers could have been a little larger, however.

38086002145_218967ba8d_o.jpg

2003. Beginning of the ABC years, part 2. This was the first year that the score graphic stayed on the screen during the whole game, not just after baskets....for better or worse. In fact, we get two ABC logos for the price of one. 

38972648951_97c433ce64_o.jpg

2010. The bottom bar returned for the ABC/ESPN Finals coverage. I'm surprised Disney didn't stick their logo up in the corner 

38256444784_29074c0e9b_b.jpg

2013. These were the first NBA Finals games not to appear on one of the major broadcast networks (though ABC was still a partner w/ ESPN). Bottom graphics bar remains

38972648791_37bc5201a4_b.jpg

2017. The ABC/ESPN formula continues with the score bar thinner, but expanded across the screen

25102428408_d75ccd3c04_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/7/2017 at 8:14 AM, Lights Out said:

Unpopular opinion: I actually liked TBS' score bug from last year. They definitely needed to shrink it down a bit, but other than that, there was nothing wrong with the design.

XWtggNR.png

The one they had before that was also excellent.

zOCEXXR.png

I like TBS graphic and it would be perfect for NFL if TBS has the NFL

On 12/6/2017 at 6:36 PM, Old School Fool said:

Oh man, I forgot about that. I just recently moved back to Comcast Xfinity cable for the first time since 2007 and I found KICU in the channel lineup and had some nostalgia about that era. I love when sports are on local TV like that, it's sort of a lost art now cause everyhting is on Fox Sports or NBC Sports.

I remember there was a rain delay for an A's game once on KICU and the corner logo during That 70's Show wasn't the network graphic, instead it was the A's logo with an umbrella over it saying Rain Delay in place of Oakland Athletics. It was pretty cool.

That's cool and clever San Diego XETV 6 did the same with the Padres they were showing Still Standing during the rain delay and instead of CW6 they had the friar swinging an umbrella instead of the bat

• Like 1

2013. These were the first NBA Finals games not to appear on one of the major broadcast networks (though ABC was still a partner w/ ESPN).

I think the games still ran on ABC, but produced by ESPN.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

One of my biggest sports broadcasting pet peeves...

I'm watching Davidson-New Mexico State on ESPNU. Davidson is wearing red with white numbers. NMSU is wearing white with gray numbers. Guess which team is denoted on the score graphic with red background/white numbers and which one is dark gray/white?

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a screenshot from Week 1 of the 1994 season showcasing Fox using the scoreboard graphic for the first time in a regular season game. Notice how it doesn't have a gray background for visibility like it eventually would later on. Wikipedia says they debuted the graphic for the first time in a 1994 Preseason game between the 49ers and Broncos.

ptg5sI3.png

• Like 1

bSLCtu2.png

I remember watching that game. They were having problems with the graphic during the first half; sometimes it wasn’t there at all, sometimes it was there but not legible. Eventually they got it working with the proper background.

6qJU27f_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 6:36 PM, Old School Fool said:

I love when sports are on local TV like that, it's sort of a lost art now cause everyhting is on Fox Sports or NBC Sports.

Good point. NFL preseason games have sort of become the last bastion of locally-produced professional sports telecasts.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 10:20 AM, RyanMcD29 said:

Also one thing to lookout for in the coming weeks may or may not be NBC. Usually on a Super Bowl year they break out the new graphics for the Winter Classic and Wild Card weekend rather than waiting for the Super Bowl itself. The last time they updated they also did a soft launch of their new scorebug on NBCSN a week or so around Christmas. So something to keep an eye on for the next few weeks there. Personally I'd rather them stick to what they have given I love how much they work the primary and secondary colors into everything, but that's generally not how sports TV works these days with the Super Bowl graphics changeup.

We've made it to the final weekend and we haven't seen any changes in NBC's regionals and they still held on to their current package for their two playoff games as well as the rest of their non-football programming.

Haven't watched much on NBCSN either, so I'm expecting something new come Sunday. On the way to XLIII in '09, NBC did the same thing for their Wild Card doubleheader and didn't update until the night of the Super Bowl.

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

1 hour ago, insert name said:

With the direction many of the networks have gone, I expect a very bland and lifeless look. 

If the following scoreboard is any indication, NBC may have gone there, but for the gradients in the score:

9bf81643fbbe856b46f2a7aac546c60e.png

Edited by buzzcut

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

32 minutes ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

Was that a concept or something teased as a real thing?

According to this thread, this is the new scoreboard.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

1 hour ago, buzzcut said:

If the following scoreboard is any indication, NBC may have gone there, but for the gradients in the score:

9bf81643fbbe856b46f2a7aac546c60e.png

That's way better than anyone else has gone in recent redesigns and keeps the primary/secondary color thing NBC had going that I loved. I approve

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse