Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

For some extreme "things literally only I care about" energy, the ICC Cricket World Cup always has special graphics each year, last year was a strange package with an old-style top corner scorebug and a big banner with the batters' faces at the bottom, this one is more conventional (with the gimmick being gradients, given the rest of the package).

nSMBWpX.png

• Like 1

For reference this was the prior CWC package, featuring a massive banner at the bottom with the batter and bowler's faces. It was not well-received, though I do like the old-style score in the corner (which is how it worked until bottom bars became standard in cricket broadcasting)

7Lar1mf.png

• Like 1

The waiting game continues for NBC.

I’m not too much in a hurry for NBC to change. I do like this current graphic set. It’s clean and distinct. When I see this, I know it’s NBC.

I think NBC currently has the best graphics package. Everyone else blends together. 

• Like 1

XM4KeeA.png

On 5/10/2019 at 10:13 AM, RyanMcD29 said:

Although they pulled this off with a (separate) Wednesday Night Hockey package going to commercial and still keeping everything intact, this looks like a really big revamp with everything but the scorebug. I have a feeling with the Stanley Cup Final starting the same weekend as their first Indy 500 and the Premier League season all wrapped up, NBC finally pulls the trigger on the rest of the set

(though as I've said in the past, at least NBC's got a great graphics package to begin with so it makes the will-they-wont-they game more bearable. Now Turner's NBA graphics package, on the other hand...)

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

PzdLORY.png

Some on-point typography from whoever's doing the graphics for Roland Garros. 

It does amuse me that the whole flat graphics thing is happening worldwide too. Honestly I expect the next trend to be going back to like, the original FoxBox bug from 1994 and having them be partially transparent to give as much space to the on-field action as possible. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

NBC Sports' online package lets you choose between the straight NBCSN feed and an ad-free feed taken from the official world feed. I always like stuff like this, because it's interesting to see how NBC and the official world feed graphics present the same information in a different manner.

x2O6IeG.png

anIXnRq.png

Incidentally, these are the graphics i remember the best from when I started watching, just look at that too-cool-for-school minimalism complete with all-lower case captions. Pure style

fFm6dyj.png

Cycling race graphics have been fairly primitive for a long time, due to the difficulty of covering the race over hundreds of KMs of public roads live. Time gaps are actually taken from the camera motorbikes and can occasionally be inaccurate. It wasn't too long ago that even the constant display of distance remaining wasn't always shown - I'd say about 10-15 years, and prior to that you'd have race coverage with no constant on-screen graphics at all. 

28 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

I'm hoping that FOX will revamp their scorebug for the upcoming NFL season since they'll be hosting the Super Bowl, but I know it's wishful thinking. I miss their box scorebugs, especially the one from 2010-2011...

4908510507_6986b81165.jpg

Their current scorebug looks like they just let some producers kid design it with MS Paint. 

• Like 3

I definitely prefer the smaller form FOX bug to the bar. I hope they use something similar to what their current/FSN's current MLB bugs look like. 

Speaking of FSN, and things only I care about, FSN Utah (or whatever they're called, Root Rocky Mountains?) broadcasts the Tour of Utah, and they actually have their own Fox-styled cycling graphics, though they're actually based on the old (2016?) FOX graphics package. It's actually pretty well done, though it does the irritating thing NBC does of alternating between showing KM and miles left. I can get this for showing speed (MPH is easier for US viewers to instantly get than KPH), but every distance-related rule in cycling (no car feeds in last 20k, 3k mechanical/crash rule, red kite at 1k) is in KM, and honestly it's like if you broadcast athletics but used yards instead of meters or something because you assume Americans would find "100m dash" too cryptic. 

eGftnF1.png

I always find this kind of thing funny, you see it sometimes with ESPN3's streaming of fringe sports where they sometimes use old graphics packages for fringe sports nobody watches, though nothing beat when they broadcast domestic West Indies 50-over cricket (which even cricket fans wouldn't bother watching, it'd be like deciding to watch AAA Pacific Coast League baseball or something) using a ten-year-old ESPN graphics package. 

1J3WUdL.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...