Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

1 hour ago, simtek34 said:

oh boy that has all the makings of a disaster

• Like 2

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

What is with ESPN's obsession of using yellow/lime on their MNF graphics? It's like they're trying really hard to be cool and hip, except they're about five years too late on that trend.

I'm disappointed that ESPN is the only network that made changes to their NFL graphics this year. FOX has the most bland graphics of all four networks. CBS could use an update as well, as I think the current graphics are a downgrade from the previous design they had. NBC is #1 and it's not even close, though I do kinda miss the 2006-2013 scorebugs. But still, the current SNF graphics are about as close to perfect as you can get. I think FOX and CBS both need to move their scorebugs back to the top of the screen. By stacking the scorebug right on top of the scores/fantasy stats ticker, the screen looks too bottom heavy. They should just get rid of the ticker completely because it's not really necessary anymore. These days, everyone can just check on their fantasy teams or look at scores on their smartphones.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 11:39 PM, Tracy Jordan said:

What is with ESPN's obsession of using yellow/lime on their MNF graphics? It's like they're trying really hard to be cool and hip, except they're about five years too late on that trend.

I'm disappointed that ESPN is the only network that made changes to their NFL graphics this year. FOX has the most bland graphics of all four networks. CBS could use an update as well, as I think the current graphics are a downgrade from the previous design they had. NBC is #1 and it's not even close, though I do kinda miss the 2006-2013 scorebugs. But still, the current SNF graphics are about as close to perfect as you can get. I think FOX and CBS both need to move their scorebugs back to the top of the screen. By stacking the scorebug right on top of the scores/fantasy stats ticker, the screen looks too bottom heavy. They should just get rid of the ticker completely because it's not really necessary anymore. These days, everyone can just check on their fantasy teams or look at scores on their smartphones.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm mostly fine with the current state of NFL graphics. ESPN's is definitely the worst in my opinion. Ever since MNF moved from ABC to ESPN, the only two packages that I really enjoyed have been 2006-2007  and 2010. I know that the "flat" look of CBS and FOX is starting to grow stale with a lot of people, but they work for me. Especially in the case of Fox, since the 2014-2016 set that the current look replaced was one of my least favorite from them.  

• Like 4

Fox has far and away the best graphics package as far as I'm concerned, if we're only talking about what's used for the NFL. I don't care for NBC having a separate package for SNF and doubly so because I think their "standard" package is better even if they have used it for several years by now (I mean, if it's good and works, why replace it?). Fox and CBS are different takes of the same idea, I just like Fox's application better. 

ESPN keeps changing the MNF package and they keep not getting it right. The best package they probably had, for my money, was the one circa 2009-'10. I was fine with that one. The next one was fine enough, but every one since 2015 has been a gradual downgrade from the previous one.

• Like 2

spacer.png

On 9/20/2019 at 10:47 PM, Kramerica Industries said:

Fox has far and away the best graphics package as far as I'm concerned, if we're only talking about what's used for the NFL. I don't care for NBC having a separate package for SNF and doubly so because I think their "standard" package is better even if they have used it for several years by now (I mean, if it's good and works, why replace it?). Fox and CBS are different takes of the same idea, I just like Fox's application better. 

ESPN keeps changing the MNF package and they keep not getting it right. The best package they probably had, for my money, was the one circa 2009-'10. I was fine with that one. The next one was fine enough, but every one since 2015 has been a gradual downgrade from the previous one.

I'm sorry but Fox's is terrible. Flat design doesn't work in on screen graphics. Especially when there's no outline on the bug.

• Like 5

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

the mid-00s ESPN package was "flat with no outlines" and is probably still my favorite ESPN set, and football set ever

GsTPLNI.png

really, the main problem I have with the FOX/CBS sets is their continued insistence on a bottom bar rather than a classic-style bug, but the fashion for that one seems to cycle in and out every few years (especially for FOX). 

• Like 4

I'll say this though: CBS tried their hardest to make flat design work in sports, and it's great. the gradient gives it the minimum amount of personality, and the outline actually makes it pop out and doesn't make the graphic bleed into the turf.

• Like 2

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

• 2 weeks later...

Some disappointment that NBC didn't adapt their NHL scoreboard to the Premier League version. Maybe that's just due to the mutual association with Sky and the PL that doesn't exist with the NHL - that I know of, anyone; I have no clue who holds NHL rights in the UK - but the PL graphics are one of those subtle changes that looks sleeker and more finished when you compare it to what came before it. It makes the NHL graphics look old by comparison. Fine on their own but not as good as they can be knowing what they now have.

• Like 1

spacer.png