Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

On 9/8/2020 at 8:56 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Goes without saying but FOX used the new graphics they used in the Super Bowl and XFL on their preview show that aired on Sunday.

And as expected rolling it out with college football. But I do say it looks way more generic with them using the college names with no logo on them. It was good in the Super Bowl after a drive or two of getting used to it, but a big part of that was the bells and whistles of the logos and using each team's actual font. It's way less lively when you take that all out.

• Like 3

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

The biggest thing that annoys me with the new Fox bug is that there's too much wasted space. The bottom bar is the same width as the top half-bars that display the score, but all it has on it is the quarter, clock and, when counting down to :00, the play clock. 75% of the space on it is nothing. To say nothing of not enjoying the central location of it. The original ESPN MNF bug was the same thing and I didn't care for that either, but even then, at least that bug was more compact with its information. 

The fact that I liked the 2017-'19 banner only annoys me even more.

• Like 2

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

The biggest thing that annoys me with the new Fox bug is that there's too much wasted space. The bottom bar is the same width as the top half-bars that display the score, but all it has on it is the quarter, clock and, when counting down to :00, the play clock. 75% of the space on it is nothing. To say nothing of not enjoying the central location of it. The original ESPN MNF bug was the same thing and I didn't care for that either, but even then, at least that bug was more compact with its information. 

The fact that I liked the 2017-'19 banner only annoys me even more.

Space-wise, I'd prefer it if the new bug was a bit lower on the screen (at least when the out-of-town ticker isn't up). It's also bit odd having the new bug paired with the '17-'19 design aesthetics of the ticker.

I'd have to assume that FOX will add in team records starting next week to fill in some of the empty space.

Also, there's a chance this could be the final season of the current NFL on CBS package (since they have the Super Bowl this year and whatnot). I really hope that it isn't, though. I know that the "flat" trend in broadcast graphics has grown stale for a lot of people, but I've come to really enjoy CBS' take on it. The current package is hands-down my favorite in network history (the '06-'08 one would be up there as well).

• Like 4

The NFL on CBS package is one of the best in the industry. The scoreboard has a slight polish to it, like it isn't fully flat. I love the folding theme during t/o breaks and TD's.

It reminds me of the NBA on ESPN package, as it has flat-but-not-too-flat scoreboards, folding graphics, and slightly 3-D logos.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 8:26 PM, _J_ said:

ESPN is a downgrade for me.

ESPN has like five different score bugs depending on what they're doing as far as intro, halftime and during the game. It's also annoying that they keep showing off different parts of the overall new intro, solely for the sake of showing all of the new graphics. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 1 month later...

I've mentioned a few times that I'm not a big fan of the new NFL on FOX package, but the firm that designed it gave a pretty interesting interview/presentation on the evolution of broadcast graphics that I thought I'd share.

I've also been thinking about making some collages of various graphics packages, similar to some of the ones found earlier in the thread.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else seen the new graphics for TSN's Sportscentre? Saw them last night and today after the NFL game and liking the look. Finally updated their old look that was a few years old w/ a lot of red and 3D moving graphics to a 2D, arrow-focused and grey-heavy look that is pretty nice, though I think should still benefit from a little bit more red in some parts. 

• Like 1

spacer.pngspacer.png

Not to derail the more recent graphic talk (and do send pics of the new TSN layout when you can, Canadian pals), but lately YouTube has been recommending 90s/00s NFL clips after watching some old Primetime episodes and a lot of them have been post-return NFL on CBS. Man, CBS really went out there putting a whole graphics package set to Arial and Impact as their fonts.

• Like 1

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I happened upon an old NFL on CBS telecast of a Bears game at pre-spaceship Soldier Field and I had the same thought: the graphics looked incredibly chintzy for CBS, and not in the dated way that Fox stuff contemporary to it looks bad now, but more like, damn, you really could have done better.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫