Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

I'm surprised by how much I ended up disliking the Bally branding and imaging. I knew I would dislike it, but not this much. Sinclair had that "American Sports Network" concept that didn't take off, even bringing that back would have been better than this.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Mr. Krabs said:

NBCSN just debuted a new scorebug for Wednesday Night Hockey. With both the dissolution of the channel coming soon and the eventual transfer of NHL rights from NBC, my reaction to this is "sure, NOW you change it up." 🤦‍♂️

hhfNs8w.png

Here it is.

And as you can see, the Capitals have a runner on second.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 7:20 PM, The AFC South said:

New Bally Sports score bug

MoSQaGf.jpg

I've noticed that Bally's has made the gray space under the scorebug somewhat if not totally transparent, which helps a little.

vlcsnap-2021-05-16-11h06m15s841.png

Still holding out hope that that they will eliminate the continuous out of town scores ticker, although that's probably unlikely.

• Like 4

Man, I do not like the new NBC scorebug for NHL. It's way to small. Everything is too close to each other, especially if a team goes on the PP. There's no breathing space. Probably the current worst socrebug on the national networks. 

• Like 4

XM4KeeA.png

On 5/16/2021 at 11:09 AM, projectjohn said:

I've noticed that Bally's has made the gray space under the scorebug somewhat if not totally transparent, which helps a little.

vlcsnap-2021-05-16-11h06m15s841.png

Still holding out hope that that they will eliminate the continuous out of town scores ticker, although that's probably unlikely.

The way they have those logos squeezed into those wide rectangular boxes, not fitting vertically yet having so much extra space on the left and right,  looks sort of awkward.  I think they should just go with "CHI" and "DET," and if still they really want to keep a logo in the box, they should make it smaller and shove it towards the left.

On 5/22/2021 at 12:52 PM, SCalderwood said:

The way they have those logos squeezed into those wide rectangular boxes, not fitting vertically yet having so much extra space on the left and right,  looks sort of awkward.  I think they should just go with "CHI" and "DET," and if still they really want to keep a logo in the box, they should make it smaller and shove it towards the left.

For me, the downside that stands out to me is that I'm not a fan of how the logos have a 3D tilt inside the boxes. With some logos, it may be hard to notice without looking closely, but for others, it's a bit weird. It took me a week or two to notice it and personally it would have been better without it for the always-on scoreboard. It's fine with me when it's featured on the go-to/out-of-break scoreboard and the intro graphics, but that's it.

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

Don't know if this has ever been brought up here, but CBS actually had a baseball graphics package built out to match their NFL package in 2013 or so and another one to match the CBS Sports redesign in 2016. The thing is, it was only ever used for softball and college baseball. It's something that I've never seen on actual live TV and it's a rare treat that's really interesting to see.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

VGTF7lo.png

spacer.png

JiSqtan.png

Rz6SkhU.png

aefn8MD.png

Updated version of the same bug

glDCkAk.png

d1ikABP.png

• Like 3

It's alright -- the boxes for the team scores are a bit too big and the team logos are zoomed in too much, but I think it's an interesting look for the current Bally package. The pitch count to the side is a bit weird, as well; maybe put it at the top of the graphic or just under his team? That bit just doesn't match.