Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

Leave it to Fox to come up with one of the worst scorebug redesigns I've ever seen. Also gets into my nitpick of networks not having unified looks and boy this clearly is meant for only baseball and it looks so out of place with everything else

On a side note, ESPN's new graphics set for the NHL based on The Point show looks pretty slick, utilizing both primary and secondary colors for teams. Wait and see on the in-game graphics but so far so good

• Like 2

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

1 hour ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

FBiWSQvX0AoqKOq?format=jpg&name=large
US national hockey broadcasts loving that upper left score placement!

ESPN recycling the music from their last foray into NHL broadcasts, too.

I like the scorebug and placement. The "aerial" cam view will take some getting used to, but I think it's useful to get a better view of the near boards that typically obstructed. 

Gosh! I love that they brought back the theme! 

I saw, I came, I left.

On 10/12/2021 at 7:54 PM, VandyDelphia Mike said:

FBiWSQvX0AoqKOq?format=jpg&name=large
US national hockey broadcasts loving that upper left score placement!

ESPN recycling the music from their last foray into NHL broadcasts, too.

I'm surprised they didn't put a shots counter. They'll probably add that at some point during the season. 

XM4KeeA.png

12 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

They'd show it every now and then. Hopefully they show it fully though.

FBjNP-IUUAcO-Cj?format=png&name=small

Every now and then seems appropriate for the shots on goal stat.

For me, I need to see it as often as hits and errors on a baseball broadcast. Maybe even less. Others may differ.

• Like 4

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

10 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

They'd show it every now and then. Hopefully they show it fully though.

The way to do the shot count is to throw it up only at stoppages. Ideally, with all manner of shots flying about and shots on goal not telling the whole story, you'd want to break the count into on/missed/blocked to get a full picture of scoring attempts. You don't need all those numbers running in real time, and they'd probably be inaccurate anyway. It only needs to come up intermittently. 

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

The way to do the shot count is to throw it up only at stoppages. Ideally, with all manner of shots flying about and shots on goal not telling the whole story, you'd want to break the count into on/missed/blocked to get a full picture of scoring attempts. You don't need all those numbers running in real time, and they'd probably be inaccurate anyway. It only needs to come up intermittently. 

8 hours ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

Every now and then seems appropriate for the shots on goal stat.

For me, I need to see it as often as hits and errors on a baseball broadcast. Maybe even less. Others may differ.

Well, thanks for that. That's something new for me. I don't really play hockey. I just watch and know the basic rules.

My raitonale behind SOGs being shown all the time was that most networks that air the NHL (like TNT, Sportsnet, TSN, and Bally) are doing it.

The NBC/Comcast RSNs have been a holdout on running a constant shot count, which I appreciate. It can become information overload in a hurry. But I really do think that if you're going to communicate shot information on screen, you need to display all three "flavors" of attempts to really quantify the possession game. Otherwise, you're just tracking goalie stats.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫