Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

The way to do the shot count is to throw it up only at stoppages. Ideally, with all manner of shots flying about and shots on goal not telling the whole story, you'd want to break the count into on/missed/blocked to get a full picture of scoring attempts. You don't need all those numbers running in real time, and they'd probably be inaccurate anyway. It only needs to come up intermittently. 

Yup, agreed.  I hate score bugs that have shots on goal all the time and especially ones that the shots tally is nearly the same size as the score.  As if there were some direct correlation or relevancy to that SOG count.   It's too much and clutters up the screen. 

10 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Yup, agreed.  I hate score bugs that have shots on goal all the time and especially ones that the shots tally is nearly the same size as the score.  As if there were some direct correlation or relevancy to that SOG count.   It's too much and clutters up the screen. 

Worst part is how much hockey twitter wants everyones heads cut off if there's not a SOG counter on the scorebug. Meanwhile I'm all

FBidy22WEAAhGPJ?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Hockey Twitter Coach's Corner would be a good bit but I don't really have proof-of-concept yet. Ron MacLean and a girl with purple hair and self-diagnosed "cartilage misalignment" crammed into a single camera shot, we'll work out the details later.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Shots on goal being a full-time feature on a score bug was never a feature until Fox networks began using them in 2014-'15, which really wasn't all that long ago when you really think about it. How did we survive all those years watching games without that information available at all times? 

Kinda like the full-time strike zones that are on almost every baseball broadcast these days, come to think of it. Really wasn't an addition we ever actually needed but now people will complain about whenever its missing. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

Wow I missed a lot but that new Fox baseball bug is ugly as all hell. How have they gone from having the nicest uniform graphics in pretty much all of sports to having clashing, over-the-top, plain ugly graphics? You'd kinda figure they learned that less is more but oh well.

Hockey is looking very nice so far, though! Not really feeling the AT&T bug (lots of padding everywhere and weird spacing) or the font choice on the TNT bug (Roboto?? this isn't 2014), but besides that, everything feels fresh and modern.

9yqZQ7j.png

Also can we please appreciate how nice the NHL on TNT set looks?? The video walls are stunning.

• Like 8

On 10/6/2021 at 8:25 PM, RyanMcD29 said:

I like that it looks pretty unified with what they had last week for the NHL on TNT with a few tinkers for the scorebug that borrows from the last set. They do the same for the NBA in a few weeks and it's probably the first time since like 2003 Turner Sports has had a unified graphics package for sports

lololololol no they're bringing back the same NBA scorebug for like the 8th straight season

• Like 2

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

3 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

lololololol no they're bringing back the same NBA scorebug for like the 8th straight season

A quick YouTube search tells me that, at least functionally, TNT has used the same score bug since the 2012-'13 season, which is honestly pretty remarkable. That makes this ten seasons. I can only wonder how many different score bugs/banners ESPN has used in that same time frame.

(The answer appears to be "at least seven".)

• Like 1

spacer.png

How crazy is it that Coach's Corner was seemingly shot in a broom closet for all those years? An intermission show with a single static camera. You may not have liked the xenophobia, but the production values were downright charming.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like having the shot totals on the scorebug. Shots aren't a perfect metric for telling the true story of a hockey game, but they do a better job than nothing. I know I could just Watch The GameTM, but I like having them right there to refer to throughout.  And it's helpful if I tune in late and see a team losing, let's say, 2-0 halfway through the second period, then it paints a better picture of what I've missed if I can immediately see what the shot totals are. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 11:31 PM, Kramerica Industries said:

A quick YouTube search tells me that, at least functionally, TNT has used the same score bug since the 2012-'13 season, which is honestly pretty remarkable. That makes this ten seasons. I can only wonder how many different score bugs/banners ESPN has used in that same time frame.

(The answer appears to be "at least seven".)

Actually, the current TNT score bug has been around since 2016, but there have been slight alterations to it since then.

By comparison, here's the 2016 version:

TNT-NBA-Bug.png

And here's the current version from a 2019 game, featuring the turrible on-court shot clock graphic:spacer.png

• Like 1