Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

17 hours ago, PERRIN said:

I hate all the stupid shadows and gradient textures. That was the only thing I disliked about the previous NBC scorebug, but this just looks goofy. Looks worse than every scorebug NBC has had since I started watching football in 2009. The previous one was dynamic, unique, and modern, though some of the shadows and textures didn't work. This is just awful. Not a single graphic looks good to me. Can't wait for 3 years from now when they change again.

You say you started watching football in 2009, well let me show you what NBC was using in 2003 for it's Notre Dame games. Thankfully we were spared of seeing this often because NBC didn't have the rights to the NFL at the time.

w1DZRqL.png

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Hurl 1

bSLCtu2.png

16 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

You say you started watching football in 2009, well let me show you what NBC was using in 2003 for it's Notre Dame games. Thankfully we were spared of seeing this often because NBC didn't have the rights to the NFL at the time.

w1DZRqL.png

I always think of Arena Football when I see this scorebug. 

• Like 3

XM4KeeA.png

2 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

and to think, that was the first time NBC had an always on scorebug (not counting the Turner partnered NASCAR telecasts)

IN THE YEAR 2003!

It's weird realizing the NBA On NBC didn't have a scorebug in it's final year. I didn't notice it back when when I was younger but now in retrospect I realize how ridiculous it was they broadcasted the 2003 Finals like that. Every network had one by then.

• Like 1

bSLCtu2.png

The new scorebug for NBC is a toss-up for me. Not a fan of the fonts, but going compact is an interesting change away from how they've used a scorebar all through the SNF era to this point. I wonder if the possession indicator will be modified at preseason or the kickoff game, only because I don't know how confusing that half-circle highlight is or isn't. And, of coarse, there's my most hated feature of scorebugs since the rise of sports betting: showing the team's record.

Like some others, I'd hope for the changes to carry over to their RSNs and any other sports featured on NBC now that it's without NBCSN. Not counting on it though since their RSNs are more likely to die out soon and the next best thing you'd find on NBC for sports is Notre Dame football, then arguably the Premier League or NASCAR as far as popularity and/or viewership.

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

On 2/11/2022 at 10:35 PM, maddybutsports said:

just kinda eyeballing it from the image, all nfl scorebugs (besides espn) will fit in a 4:3 tv aspect ratio with this new nbc bug. life has come full circle 

I've heard this is to look better on vertically-oriented smartphone short videos. Kind of funny how things have come full circle that way, yeah. 

• Like 6

On 2/15/2022 at 9:54 PM, Old School Fool said:

It's weird realizing the NBA On NBC didn't have a scorebug in it's final year. I didn't notice it back when when I was younger but now in retrospect I realize how ridiculous it was they broadcasted the 2003 Finals like that. Every network had one by then.

2002 was the last year of the NBA on NBC. There was no bug because Dick Ebersol thought showing the score would make people change the channel. Their AFC package never had bugs, either, right up to Super Bowl XXXII.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 12/19/2021 at 12:04 PM, YELDARBfield said:

Starting to really appreciate the Bally Sports double-wide scorebar-ticker-chyron:

I hated the Bally's one when they first switched over from Fox licensing last year, but it's become passable compared to some of the stuff that's out there now on other networks. Removing the unnecessary gray underneath the scorebug and ticker and letting that space be transparent was a big improvement. Just wish the ticker itself was not continuous and only popped out once in a while, with the score bug otherwise being centered.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 1:11 AM, ChiCity95 said:

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but if not, then here it is:

df194jk-d928af20-6443-4663-9337-6eb95363

From one of Fox's first MLB games in 1996. I guess later on in the season, it got modified and we ended up getting this: 

yankees-braves-1996.jpg

If I remember right, Fox used that lower right hand corner graphic for only their first week before moving it to the upper left their second week.

I know it's been said, but the Bally's sports scorebug is truly dreadful. Unbalanced, distracting, and not even designed for mobile. Just a miss in every possible way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 hours ago, wentvoltage123 said:

MASN finally updated their scorebug and graphics for baseball this season

Well, it's about time! So I guess in terms of MLB teams, this means that the...*checks notes*...NBC RSNs now have the longest active graphics package (current one has been used since 2016).

23 hours ago, wentvoltage123 said:

MASN finally updated their scorebug and graphics for baseball this season

Cool beans. If only I cared enough about the Orioles to watch. 

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...