The Battle of Markham

sparkychewbarky

Guest darkpiranha

It's threads like this (and GotPixels and America League) is why I come to these forums. Perfect intersection of design and FUN. Take note everyone else. Technical and league/brand/manuracturer accuracy is nice, but it's threads like these that make everyone stand up and take notice and puts a smile on our faces.

Can't wait to see where this goes (I'm totally not sold on the Beavers name, but I'm totally giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're taking it somewhere interesting)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's threads like this (and GotPixels and America League) is why I come to these forums. Perfect intersection of design and FUN. Take note everyone else. Technical and league/brand/manuracturer accuracy is nice, but it's threads like these that make everyone stand up and take notice and puts a smile on our faces.

Can't wait to see where this goes (I'm totally not sold on the Beavers name, but I'm totally giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're taking it somewhere interesting)

Thanks darkp.

Hope the Beavers win you over.

The Ontario Beavers-Logos

The following is part of the Beavers' Logo Debut press release...

"Welcome to Ontario...

All teams strive to create a unique and popular identity.

We have hopefully achieved that goal by reaching back to the roots of our game.

We've gone back to a script font logo with standard block numbers.

We've gone back to a basic colour scheme that has been worn by an elite group of championship franchises that includes the Oakland "A's", the Green Bay Packers, and the Edmonton Eskimos of the CFL.

We want to inspire the memories and "feel" of a Saturday morning house league game in some small Ontario town.

We are your "Hometown Hockey Team"..."

The Beavers' identity is derived from the beaver (of course), the 3-leafed sprig from Ontario's shield, and from the vintage script-font hockey sweater.

beevsstuff.jpg

Rather than the over-used "aggressive-animal" interpretation,

roadkill.jpg

...The Ontario Beavers have opted for a more"noble" looking creature.

beevlogos5.jpg

The primary is the arced word "Beavers" over a golden sprig of leaves.

The "Beaver B" will begin the word "Beavers", but can also stand alone.

The secondary shoulder patch features crossed, "home-chewed", birchbark hockey sticks in front of the Ontario "O", which resembles a swirl of pond water.

Again, being traditional and familiar, is part of the Beavers' strategy.

We'll see if it works.

Up next...Home uniforms.

vikings2.jpg

"...Beware the Northlanders, forging towards us like a dark wave with sparks of gold and sharpened steel..."

Ontario Northlanders- Home Uniforms

The Northlanders wanted to create a home uniform that was "dark and menacing, with slashes of brilliant metallic gold".

They've developed a concept that doesn't utilize traditional striping, but rather panels of background colour to contrast with the metallic yellow-gold logos and highlights.

The sweaters feature oversized "wolf" shoulder patches.

nlhomes.jpg

Up next...The Beavers respond with their Home Uniforms...

Will the wordmark be on the front of both jerseys because the outline looks clumpy in some places.? I actually like the secondary, maybe it'll be on the alternate? :upside:

You're right TorinK...The font (Laura) is irregular and clumpy, in an effort to capture a "rustic" look.

We'll see if it works...

Wow, I fell behind a little bit. Love the Beavers, the Primary logo is a tad weird, but it is definitely something I could see a pro team doing. Love the Beaver logo and the secondary, though the secondary doesn't entirely fit with the rest of the set but still looks good.

The Highlanders uni is awesome. The only thing I don't like is the contrasting nameplate, but that's a fad that is occurring.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Wow! I love this thread. Those unis are sick!

Thanks JR

Wow, I fell behind a little bit. Love the Beavers, the Primary logo is a tad weird, but it is definitely something I could see a pro team doing. Love the Beaver logo and the secondary, though the secondary doesn't entirely fit with the rest of the set but still looks good.

The Highlanders uni is awesome. The only thing I don't like is the contrasting nameplate, but that's a fad that is occurring.

Hi Lafarge. The logos might make more sense when you see them on the unis. You're right on the nameplate. I'll change that.

The Northlanders home kit is nasty good, also the Beavers logo is fantastic. I cant decide who to vote for, you make a compelling case for each team.

Thanks Mojo. I hope at the end of it all, that they're "tied" in popularity.

The Ontario Beavers- Home Unis

What do these sweaters have in common?...

3samples.jpg

The front of a hockey sweater is a pretty large "blank canvas".

Most teams fill that space with a large single logo.

The above sweaters use a number of smaller individual logos or letters to complete the front.

A large area is filled, but there is still a nice open feel to it, because of the spacing.

I don't know what you'd call that style, but the Beavers utilize it with their sweaters.

beavershomeunis.jpg

Again...uber-traditional. Nothing "out-of-the-box" here, and yet they would be a unique look in the current NHL.

Up next...Away Unis.

Both of these uniforms are great. Very different from each other, but great all around.

I do think a second team in TO would likely steer away from having any maple leaves whatsoever in their identity, but it does look nice on the Beavers home.

Here's your first criticism. I hate the way the black (or dark paneling it seems) interrupts the striping on the Beavers uniform and that the hem doesn't have matching double stripes.

Aside from that minor annoyance I really like the time you've put into these designs. It's clearly evident that this wasn't a simple slapdash project and that you cared a great deal about your execution.

Midway.png

Looks great. Green and yellow is a combination that needs to come back. I'd cheer for them over the maple leafs any day.

Thanks. So would I.

Better yet, what would be tossed on the ice? :)

Well, the Leaf fans tossed waffles. Beaverites could toss "Beavertails"; (a deep-fried pastry, popular up here)

Both of these uniforms are great. Very different from each other, but great all around.

I do think a second team in TO would likely steer away from having any maple leaves whatsoever in their identity, but it does look nice on the Beavers home.

I thought about that nas.

If the Beavers weren't also in T.O., the sprig of maple leaves wouldn't be a problem, IMO.

The Stars have a silver star as part of their logo...so does Columbus. The Caps have stars in their logo.

The leaves are a design element that the Leafs have no control over. The generic maple leaf up here is pretty much public domain.

Ever since I started watching the Leafs, their ownership has been this faceless corporate group that rips off its loyal fans.

Leaf fans are also funding the Raptors, TFC, condo development, etc.

Personally, I'd love to p-off Leaf ownership with the leaves in the Beavers' identity.

Oh that B-eaver is FANTASTIC. I love these sets, and this series as a whole.

Yeah that B logo is insanely cool.

This is too good. I'm angry.

Thanks guys. The "B" logo's getting a lot of love which is good.

Here's your first criticism. I hate the way the black (or dark paneling it seems) interrupts the striping on the Beavers uniform and that the hem doesn't have matching double stripes.

Aside from that minor annoyance I really like the time you've put into these designs. It's clearly evident that this wasn't a simple slapdash project and that you cared a great deal about your execution.

Thanks Midway. I acted on your advice.

bevunis3.jpg

Archived