The Battle of Markham

sparkychewbarky

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I love this. Personally, I preferred the hem stripe on the original one, though the rest of the updates are definitely upgrades. Solid Work

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Northlanders and Beavers Away Unis

Northlanders Aways

The Northlanders wanted to keep the white to a minimum in trying to maintain their dark, "menacing" look,

so they just basically swapped the grey on the homes with the white of the aways.

It turned out O.K.. The logos held up well because of their thick black outline.

The Nor'landers added an extra logo on the lower back.

Hopefully, there's enough white on the socks. (awaiting league approval)...There should be.

nlawayuni2.jpg

The Beavers Aways

The home-to-away transition didn't go quite so easily for the Beevs.

They wanted to keep the golden sprig and white letters, so they put a dark line around both.

...It looked a little washed out.

They then decided to put a dark shape behind the lettering and sprig; but what shape would work best?

The Ontario Provincial Police force is iconic in Ontario.

They're known as the O.P.P.. (We used to call them the Ontario Potato Pickers).

Their triangular shoulder and cap patch is well known throughout the province.

OPP-crest14.jpg

We've borrowed that shape to use on the away chest logo, and also, in an upcoming "Official Fan Club" concept challenge.

So, here's the Ontario Beavers Aways...

beevsawayfixed.jpg

Up next...the funny-looking ones are summoned to the front lines in, "The Clash of the Mascots"...

Guest darkpiranha

Seems to me that the sleeve stripes could possibly somehow incorporate the XX from the tail. Or maybe the shoulder yoke could be the tail. After seeing the distinctive XX in some of the other iterations of the beaver that it should be featured somewhere else as well.

Seems to me that the sleeve stripes could possibly somehow incorporate the XX from the tail. Or maybe the shoulder yoke could be the tail. After seeing the distinctive XX in some of the other iterations of the beaver that it should be featured somewhere else as well.

That's a great idea darkp.

There'll be "Special Events"and "Alternate Uniforms" challenges coming up.

I'll use your suggestions then.

Thanks!

Bring on those mascots.

Here ya go, GP...

The Clash of the Mascots

Time for something a little different...

The Battle of Markham Competition Committee (BoMCC) asked the two opponents to:

- create 2 mascot concepts that reflect the image of the team

- include, along with graphics, an explanation of how each one will "act"

- provide an example of what your mascot will emulate.

The first to introduce their contenders is the Ontario Northlanders.

Northlanders

"The Northlanders have chosen two legendary warriors to represent the team; each one quite different from the other.

The Northlanders were referred to by friend and foe alike as the "Wolves of the North".

We have created a character that is the mascot-ish version of our popular secondary logo.

The mascoteer who will be this character will need to be around 5.5 ft. tall, a good dancer, and very athletic. (a gymnast?)

...very similiar in manner to the award-winning Toronto Raptor."

Introducing...WULF

wulf.jpg

"Our next entry is a total contrast to the lively "Wulf".

He will command a presence by his sheer size, and because of his size, will usually be found in 1 or 2 areas of the arena.

His motions will be limited but the gentle giant will have an appeal quite similar to the "Where the Wild Things Are" fantastic creatures.

He is the fore-father of the "Hockey Flow" and "Playoff Beard"."

Introducing...Bobby Thorr

bobbythor.jpg

"Beat that Beavers..."

2nlmascots.jpg

Up next...The Beavers suit up...

hahaha I love how much effort you put into your designs.

At first, I was skeptical about the names (Halifax and Ontario ending in "Landers") but I love the wolf logo! (I've always liked Markham Marauders or Markham Northmen or even Ontario instead)

I'd like to see the Wolf logo on the front with the ON logo and Trillium as shoulder patches, but other than that, the colours are freaking amazing!!

The Beavers was another skeptical name. Usually when someoone makes a Beavers team, they try to over agressi-fy the logo to make "Beavers" sound like a respectable name. You sir, you went with a classic look and boy does it look fantastic!! Its subtle and not in your face but it is clear it is a beaver and a B and a hockey stick... go figure. Again love the colours on this one too!

Great work as usual Sparky!

Great concepts as always.

Although my local university hockey team doesn't have a bad logo, if they had something like your Northlanders it would be a big improvement. They could even keep their name (Thundewolves or Wolves) if they used your shoulder crest as a main logo. If they would have had someone as creative as you and had as many locals of Scandinavian descent as they have of Finnish maybe they would have considered this.

Beavers jerseys are great - the Beaver 'B' is amazing and the script works very well but I prefer the white jersey with the triangle over the green. Don't think the leafs look as good outside the triangle. If you are up for minor revision ideas at this stage, could consider adding the triangle to the green jersey, swapping the shoulder crest with the leafs, or removing the leafs and putting the Beavers name straight across the jersey.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

hahaha I love how much effort you put into your designs.

At first, I was skeptical about the names (Halifax and Ontario ending in "Landers") but I love the wolf logo! (I've always liked Markham Marauders or Markham Northmen or even Ontario instead)

Thanks #1. The "Northmen" idea's a good one. It's shorter than "Northlanders", and has the same meaning (Vikings). Hmmm.

Top shelf Sparky. You are a Bada_ _!

Bobby Thorr..OMG

My mistake, thought this was up for votes.

I still vote Bobby Thorr.

Those are so cool. Great job.

Thanks. Bobby Thorr's a little different, eh?

Great concepts as always.

Although my local university hockey team doesn't have a bad logo, if they had something like your Northlanders it would be a big improvement. They could even keep their name (Thundewolves or Wolves) if they used your shoulder crest as a main logo. If they would have had someone as creative as you and had as many locals of Scandinavian descent as they have of Finnish maybe they would have considered this.

Hi greyraven. Thanks, and I'll send Lakehead U. this link, although, like you say, they DO have a pretty decent logo.

The Clash of the Mascots - Cont'd

The Beavers- "Sparky and Chewbarky"

duos.jpg

Calvin and Hobbes, C-3PO and R2D2, and Yogi Bear and Boo-Boo, are all members of the "Tall-Guy-Short-Guy" union.

The Beavers have gone with this classic "schtick", with their "Sparky and Chewbarky" duo. (Chewbarky's the short one)

The Beavers were also inspired by this...

The Bruins Bear is hilarious as just some guy in a bad bear outfit...

So, because beavers are kinda funny looking just as they are... Sparky and Chewy will also be "au naturel",

(although Sparky wears a scarf to hide his too-long head/neck, which was necessary to give him more height.)

Chewy is operated by a 5 ft. guy who will be peering out of Chewy's nose, while Sparky's "mascoteer" will be about 6 ft. tall, and will look out of Spark's mouth.

That combo should result in a desired 2 ft. height difference.

sampc4.jpg

sampc3.jpg

O.K.... we'll get back to the serious stuff with the upcoming "Alternate Uniforms" tilt.

It'll be the Northlanders' "Golden Wolf" uniform, against the Beavers' "Beavertail" kit.

Attack of the Alts

Time for the Alts to go over the top...

The Beavers "Beavertail" Yellows

The Beavers stray a bit from their traditional looks, with an alt that's a little more contemporary.

They acknowledged some requests to put the Beaver "B" on the front by itself, and to somehow incorporate the diagonal tail lines into the design,

with a subtle watermark on the back panel...

beaversalt.jpg

The Northlanders "Golden Wolf" Sweater

It seems that the Beevs and Nor'landers have swapped styles as the Horde goes traditional with their alt entry.

"Gold on Gold with Black"...

nlaltuni.jpg

The next challenge requires the two sides to apply their schemes to their Fan Clubs.

Now that the logos, uniforms, and alts are done, the combatants will be asked to utilize their logos/image in various applications such as

fan clubs, special events, an on-line store and merchandise, event vehicles, etc.

The first "Application" challenge involves fan club logos/marketing...

The Ontario Beavers..

... remain on their strategy of having a lighter, more colourful theme.

As mentioned before, The Ontario Provincial Police force is an iconic institution in this province.

Many performers, artists have been photographed wearing the famous shoulder patch/cap triangular logo; and so the Beavers have created a somewhat humorous identity for their fan club

based on the O.P.P. graphics.

The Beavers encourage all to become a member of the "Ontario Beavers Patrol"...

battlebeevsfanclub.jpg

The Northlanders...

... of course have come up something a little more ominous.

A group/army/mob of Vikings/Northlanders/Barbarians have been historically referred to as a "horde".

The Nor'landers have maintained their darker look with the "Horde" warrior logo...

battlenlfans.jpg

Next challenge..."A Special Event"...

Archived