Sydney to host MLB '14 opening series

Hathaway Browne

This is certainly going to be interesting to see how they configure the field and the new stand.

Baseball%20LARGE.jpg

http://www.scgt.nsw....ws/scgbaseball/

http://www.scgt.nsw....transformation/

I love some of the language in the articles --

A total of 3500 square metres of turf will be temporarily removed from the SCG to accommodate the dirt in-field, diamond shaped running bases and outfield warning track, while a 2.4 metre high home run wall will be erected 120 metres from home plate at the southern end of the SCG.

The centre wicket square will not be affected.

Rival team bullpens, where team pitchers warm up before taking to the pitching mound, will be located at the southern end of the ground in front of the Churchill and Trumper Stands.

I have no idea why my pasted text has a blue background.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

From that article:

Adrian Gonzalez’ salary of $US21,857,143 for the 2013 MLB season is greater than the combined annual salary caps of all teams in this year’s AFL, NRL, Super Rugby and A-League competitions.

Holy crap.

From that article:

Adrian Gonzalez’ salary of $US21,857,143 for the 2013 MLB season is greater than the combined annual salary caps of all teams in this year’s AFL, NRL, Super Rugby and A-League competitions.

Holy crap.

It is true with the current exchange rate, although, it wasn't the the case two months ago then the Australian dollar was worth more than the US dollar.

AFL: A$9,130,000

NRL: A$5,800,000

Super Rugby: A$4.5 million

A- League: A$2.48 million (excluding Marquee, guest and replacement players)

I saw, I came, I left.

This is a good move; Australia might be fertile ground for serious baseball development one day.

Doubt it. Cricket is pretty big here and has a lot of rich historical and traditional links with Australia. Kind of like Baseball in America.

Cricket is not in the same category as NRL and AFL (2 of the most popular sporting leagues in Australia) but it's not that far behind them either.

I'm still annoyed they didn't play that exhibition at Lord's a few years back as was purported. But I'm excited about a series in Oz.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

"Sydney has a history of hosting significant baseball games at the SCG, with the Chicago White Sox playing against a combined NSW team in 1914," he said.

I don't think he knows the definitions of the words "history" and "significant".

Archived