St. Louis Cardinals Navy Blue Hat Back?

Edge

I was watching Sunday night baseball between the Cardinals and Reds and noticed that the Cardinals were wearing their navy blue "STL" hats. I thought the Cardinals dropped that hat in favor of the red hat?

Think the plan now is to wear the navy caps against other teams whom wear red at home. There was a poll before the season started on which caps the Cards wear on the road, Red ended up winning, but there was an option to wear red and wear the blue against teams that wear red. So far they have ended up wearing red on two occasions against other red teams (opener against Arizona and against Washingtion which were both early in the season). They have worn blue so far against Cincinnati and Philadelphia on the road. I think I covered it lol.

Think the plan now is to wear the navy caps against other teams whom wear red at home. There was a poll before the season started on which caps the Cards wear on the road, Red ended up winning, but there was an option to wear red and wear the blue against teams that wear red. So far they have ended up wearing red on two occasions against other red teams (opener against Arizona and against Washingtion which were both early in the season). They have worn blue so far against Cincinnati and Philadelphia on the road. I think I covered it lol.

IIRC the blue cap for all road games ended up winning the vote and they just decided to ignore the results.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yep. Blue won the vote, Cardinals just decided it wasn't decisive enough to follow, likely because it's not what they really wanted. The idea of a poll was stupid in that case.

At this point it seems they're generally wearing navy when they go on the road and face another team with a red cap. It's too infrequent to be worth while, IMO.

As I've stated before, if they want to do something different, they should take that policy and also apply it at home. (Meaning when the Reds come to Busch, the Cardinals should wear navy with their home white duds.)

And then as I've stated frequently, I'd also like to see them ditch their unnecessary alt. And while I don't think it's a must as some do, they can go ahead and put the St. Louis script on the road uniform. Lastly, might as well ditch the Sunday alternate cap, too, though I could go either way on that.

As I've stated before, if they want to do something different, they should take that policy and also apply it at home. (Meaning when the Reds come to Busch, the Cardinals should wear navy with their home white duds.)

Don't agree with this. Red should always be the primary home cap. I like the Sunday cap, but can go either way as far as keeping or ditching it.

The tally for the navy cap so far is 2 series: Philly and Cincinnati. Arizona series is excused because of coming straight from Spring Training and not have the navy ones packed because of the lateness of the poll. However, they wore the red caps IN Washington, which was the series right AFTER playing in Philly, where they wore navy. So.... Yeah. It's a mess. At this point I think the remaining series' in Cincinnati and probably in Anaheim would be the only times we'll see them the rest of the year.

I had gotten used to the reds on the road, but after seeing them worn in Cincy and now wearing red in New York, I've been reassured that the navy caps are the way to go.

I agree with wearing navy on the road all time. Beginning of the season kinda liked the red reminds me of the 80's, but need to go back to navy on the road. Red needs to stay at home

I agree with wearing navy on the road all time. Beginning of the season kinda liked the red reminds me of the 80's, but need to go back to navy on the road. Red needs to stay at home

Didn't like the decision then and still don't, the Cards look best with Navy hats on the road.

Don't agree with this. Red should always be the primary home cap. I like the Sunday cap, but can go either way as far as keeping or ditching it.

The tally for the navy cap so far is 2 series: Philly and Cincinnati. Arizona series is excused because of coming straight from Spring Training and not have the navy ones packed because of the lateness of the poll. However, they wore the red caps IN Washington, which was the series right AFTER playing in Philly, where they wore navy. So.... Yeah. It's a mess. At this point I think the remaining series' in Cincinnati and probably in Anaheim would be the only times we'll see them the rest of the year.

I had gotten used to the reds on the road, but after seeing them worn in Cincy and now wearing red in New York, I've been reassured that the navy caps are the way to go.

I just think the occasional navy caps at home (with the system I'm proposing) is another nice why to tie in a major chunk of the teams history without being drastic.

But beyond that, I typically agree with you. I'm used to the red caps. They look good. Navy just looks better (on the road).

But what they're doing now isn't a good enough solution. It's a mess.

I've always hated the Cardinals' use of navy caps on the road. The simple change of cap makes them seem like way more of a navy team than red, which I don't like. Everything on the gray jerseys is even primarily red with navy outlines, so I just don't get why navy caps would be used beyond history.

More importantly, the Cardinals should use the St Louis script with the birds on the bat logo for the road jerseys.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/7225812013/St._Louis_Cardinals/2013/Jersey_Logo

I wish they'd bring them back again as the full time road hat. I can't stand it when they wear the red hats on the road. For some reason they start looking like the Angels or Reds to me, which bothers me because I feel that the Cards have one of the best looks in baseball and shouldn't be confused for anyone else. Maybe its just me

I still contend that the red cap would work better with the roads if the STL was navy outlined in white.

Or... outlined in yellow. Or maybe the navy cap with the STL outlined in yellow. OMG I just went there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I still contend that the red cap would work better with the roads if the STL was navy outlined in white.

Or... outlined in yellow. Or maybe the navy cap with the STL outlined in yellow. OMG I just went there.

No navy STL on the red cap and absolutely NO yellow used anywhere outside of the bat and beaks of the birds.

Honestly, I think they should ditch the alt cap and wear either the BP cap or the navy cap with the Saturday fauxback. (I prefer the BP minus the unusual outline.) Resolves a few issues in my opinion, but limits the navy intrusion to a historic aspect, which is what most seem to associate it with.

It has been discussed on these boards a couple of times, and Paul Lukas made reference to those same discussions on his blog in May 2010.

Here is the original thread from 2010: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/73036-st-louis-cardinals-helmet-oddity/

Here is what Lukas had to say about it shortly thereafter (scroll almost to the very end of the page):

http://www.uni-watch.com/page/144/

On Friday I ran this photo of Red Schoendienst wearing a reverse-field Cards cap logo. Now someone on the Chris Creamer boards has come up with an example of that same logo appearing on a batting helmet. That shot is from the 1964 All-Star Game. I forwarded both photos to Brian Finch, who runs the Cardinals Hall of Fame. His reponse: “I honestly don’t know. I’ve noticed that before but have never found the time to look a little deeper. It’s on my list.”

And the topic came up again the following year:

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/81995-odd-1960s-cardinals-cap/

Archived