This is the Best Looking Stanley Cup Finals since...

hockey week

I like when two teams who don't share a single color match up against each other. It's why the Raiders and Chiefs games always look so good.

My favorites are the aforementioned 2003, 2006, and....

9933.JPG

1990_StanleyCupFinals.jpg

The worst looking finals?

STANLEYCUP.JPG

This inter-squad scrimmage. I was pulling for Toronto over Carolina in the Eastern finals that year because the Red Wings red and white vs the Maple Leafs' blue and white would've looked like a bubble hockey game.

2002_06_17_HURRICANES_RED_WINGS_LARGE.JPG

Their matchups from here on out will look even worse

frozen_inside060907.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2010-Stanley-Cup-Final-Game-3_6.jpg

The good thing about the Hawks winning in Philly was that the Flyers weren't wearing their Reebok-ified whites. Thank goodness for smaller mercies.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Why do I remember the n stars in their new logo when they played Pittsburgh? I know it was on center ice at least.

It was not on center ice. They ended the "N-Star" era with the loss in the finals. The new logo was placed on the boards during those playoffs; I recall seeing it and thinking it was some kind of alternate logo.

The vid on this page shows it: http://www.bringmeth...91-stanley-cup/

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I loved those jerseys as a kid. Actually, I loved all of the Capitals' look in general from that era. Still do. Better than the 'effed-up rendition of an already crappy logo they have now.

Anyway, my favorites:

timeline2.jpg

1178825092_0409.jpg

1982-canucks-williams-bossy-campbell-080092566.jpg

(Yes, seriously. Color-on-color needs to happen more)

hawks_pens_1992_325x183.jpg

(Just like in the present series, Pittsburgh's black and Chicago's red are their respective superiors, but neither matchup looks bad at all)

oBIgzrL.png

Biased? Sure, but here's some love for the Caps only Stanley Cup appearance.

capitals-olaf-kolzig-adam-oates.jpg

In all seriousness I really did like the blue Caps jerseys, not sure why they stopped wearing them for the boring black jerseys. Give me the swooping 1 legged eagle over the Capitol building logo any day.

How could I forget this one? I loved those blue jerseys and socks. The black look they ended up adopting fulltime was a major downgrade.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Biased? Sure, but here's some love for the Caps only Stanley Cup appearance.

capitals-olaf-kolzig-adam-oates.jpg

In all seriousness I really did like the blue Caps jerseys, not sure why they stopped wearing them for the boring black jerseys. Give me the swooping 1 legged eagle over the Capitol building logo any day.

That Caps look worked so well with the blue sweaters/socks. The black look totally tanked the scheme.

My personal favorites:

BjIeBf5.png

Dwv7HRt.png

These two photos make me weep for the pre-edge era... None of these teams have come close to looking this good since.

The worst looking finals?

STANLEYCUP.JPG

I see nothing wrong with this matchup. This was the best the Sabres have ever looked and until June 4th, it was the best Dallas ever looked.

My personal favorites:

BjIeBf5.png

Dwv7HRt.png

These two photos make me weep for the pre-edge era... None of these teams have come close to looking this good since.

Disagreed about the Lightning.

Yes they desperately need some black in their look (and the victory stripes). But their current look is the cleanest they've ever looked. Their old black unforms don't hold a candle to the newer stuff. The white yokes and all the other chunky white patches are gastly, and the blue is nearly invisible. The crest had 2 fonts that were opposite to each other, which made the logo be what it always has been: a BAD logo from the 90s.

It's hard not to look clean when there's nothing but three solid stripes on a blue base.

But I'm not going to be one to Bolt-jack this. I thought the 2004 Final looked very nice, and, personally, Tampa and Calgary have both downgraded since then (Tampa twice so). 2010 and 2011 were nice. On the whole, this would probably have to be the best looking one since 1997, to me, with 2010 not far behind. The Flyers orange does wonders for them.

spacer.png

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

V9DWmg2.png

*Cody McLeod is not mighty.

Reebok totally ruined the Avs beautiful uniforms. Very sad.

It was a 90s design that became outdated. Just like the weird Stars jerseys.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

V9DWmg2.png

*Cody McLeod is not mighty.

Reebok totally ruined the Avs beautiful uniforms. Very sad.

It was a 90s design that became outdated. Just like the weird Stars jerseys.

Hardly... The Avs original jerseys look just as good today as they did in 1996. Reebok just butchered them with arguably the worst designed template in the history of Hockey.

Why do I remember the n stars in their new logo when they played Pittsburgh? I know it was on center ice at least.

It was not on center ice. They ended the "N-Star" era with the loss in the finals. The new logo was placed on the boards during those playoffs; I recall seeing it and thinking it was some kind of alternate logo.

The vid on this page shows it: http://www.bringmeth...91-stanley-cup/

I'm pretty sure it was on the ice in front of the penalty boxes as well. It may be in the video you posted but I couldn't bring myself to relive that wretched game 6. It's kind of fuzzy in my photo but I'm pretty sure that's it next to the Cup logo. BTW, that was taken before a much happier result in game 3. North Stars went up 2-1 in the series before the Pens just overwhelmed them. I was really rocking the 90's look ...mullet & all!

1991scgm3.png

CCSLsig.png

Join us at Space City Lions - Houston's Aston Villa Supporters Club

Archived