2013 NBA Offseason Happenings

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that happenes, they should merge, Charlotte, Orlando & washington for 5-7 years, then they MIGHT have a small chance of being in the 8th seed race.

I could get behind the Charlandington Wiznetics...

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

The Adam Silver era gets early traction. Make way for apron advertising for local games. Where the Twitter handles are currently at.

Per Darren Rovell:

The NBA will allow advertising on the court for the first time next season.

The league sent a memo to its teams saying they will be permitted to sell space on what is referred to as the apron. The space covers the out-of-bounds area on the sideline between the baselines and the coaches' box where teams currently advertise their website or Twitter handles.

A team can place a company's logo on the floor in front of both team benches, but it has to be a decal. That's because teams can sell the space to a company only for games that are televised locally.

Players will get a slice of the pie from any revenue generated from the new signage opportunity as it will be calculated into the league's basketball related income.

The idea, proposed by deputy commissioner Adam Silver, who will take over for David Stern next season, will be evaluated over a one-year period to determine whether the league wants to make it a permanent piece of space to sell in the future. It is in lieu of putting corporate logos on jerseys, a proposal that has somewhat stalled. At one point, Silver said he believed that giving teams the rights to have a company's patch on jerseys would generate $100 million annually.

Chris Granger, executive vice president of team marketing and business operations for the league, told ESPN.com that he expects the apron advertising to be worth more than the jerseys because the television exposure will be so much more.

Sponsor decals are permitted to be up to 60 square feet. Granger said he doesn't expect any overly negative fan reaction because the logos are not inside the lines.

http://espn.go.com/c...ogether-sources

Not that I believe either one really wants to play in Atlanta, both seem to be open to the idea if it allows Chris Paul and Dwight Howard to play together, which they both are hoping to do.

This would be very surprising.

I would have assumed that they can't stand each other. I've read that Chris Paul can't stand Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan's lackadaisical, just want to have fun attitudes. So he wants to play with Dwight Howard? Dwight Howard thought Kobe was too demanding and intense, and he wants to play with Chris Paul? Their styles of play are a perfect match, but I wonder about their personalities. And the idea that each would walk away from max deals in L.A. to go to Atlanta seems far-fetched.

(mostly the idea terrifies me and I'm trying to talk myself into believing it won't happen)

PJU85JF.png

Hardass Chris Paul playing with hardass Kobe Bryant would be awesome. Too bad Charles Oakley's long retired, because that would be an amazing group of angry guys. And they could put Kwame Brown and Darko Milicic on the team, just to see who breaks out in stress hives first.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Clippers both dealt with disappointing exits in the playoffs, so of course they're making moves for next season. In terms of moves to make, though, the possibility reported by Adrian Wojnarowski sounds pretty freaking huge.

Boston would send Kevin Garnett, who would waive his no-trade clause, and the right to hire head coach Doc Rivers in exchange for DeAndre Jordan and two first-round picks. Also, according to Wojnarowski's sources, assistant coach Tyronn Lue would presumably follow Rivers to the Clippers, which sucks for the Celtics as he'd be a strong candidate to replace Rivers. Apparently, the last piece is Los Angeles also sending Eric Bledsoe over, which is the obstacle holding everything up.

If it went through, this would be a hugely beneficial trade for both parties. The Clippers would acquire an excellent head coach—at a hefty price, Rivers is making $7 million a year right now—and Garnett, who's still a great player, regardless of age. This kind of move would also likely entice current free-agent point guard Chris Paul to return to the team.

If they did that and they had the dough to bring in Howard, the Clippers could be something.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

As a Clipper fan, today has been insane. Stern must be loving the fact that on an off night for the NBA, these trade rumors have kept people talking about basketball.

Right now the Clippers are saying they're "moving on" from the Doc deal, but it smacks of a leverage play. They did the same thing a couple times during the CP3 trade negotiations. They're clearly trying to get Danny Ainge to blink and agree to a deal without Eric Bledsoe in it.

As for the Blake and Bledsoe for Dwight rumor - no, no, and hell no. Lakers won't do it, and I have a hard time believing the Clippers actually would either. Sounds bogus to me.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

i like the clippers-celtics deal, but if the clips dont want to part with bledsoe then fine we have Rondo & Bradley anyways thats just crowing things, id rather try for griffin or more draft picks and expiring contracts, unless we can flip bledsoe for a fordward/center and building blocks to say utah in a sign and trade for millsap/jefferson?

If Ainge asks for Griffin, that'd probably kill the deal for good and make Ainge look delusional.

Jordan + 2 first-round picks + taking on Lee or Terry's contract is more than fair compensation for a 37-year-old on the verge of retirement and a coach who does not want to be in Boston anymore.

The Clippers have all the leverage here: if Ainge doesn't compromise, LAC can just walk away and hire a solid coach like Brian Shaw or Lionel Hollins without giving up any assets at all, whereas Boston is stuck with a disgruntled coach and an aging core going nowhere.

xLmjWVv.png

Why do Paul and Griffin want to shy away from a large market? I know it's a Lakers town, but the Clippers still have leverage. That's why they haven't gone back to San Diego or gone to Anaheim.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Why do Paul and Griffin want to shy away from a large market? I know it's a Lakers town, but the Clippers still have leverage. That's why they haven't gone back to San Diego or gone to Anaheim.

I always assumed the Clippers didn't move because Sterling is notoriously cheap.

Anything with Griffin would be a trade; Paul is a free agent. Moving? Why Sterling has owned the team outright for over a decade and has zero debt. It is more cost effective to pay rent at Staples Center and receive those benefits than to move to Honda Center and be a sub-tenant of the Ducks.

4th in attendance this year. I woudn't consider it small, being the 2nd biggest city in the US by population.

And....

According to multiple sources the Clippers killed the deal with the Celtics over one damn draft pick. Boston wanted 2 no. 1 picks and Jordan for Garnett and Rivers. This after Boston backed off Bledsoe, then backed off of those contracts they wanted off the books as well.

Just as the Clips look like they are turning around they do this? It reeks of Donald Sterling, worst owner in sports. I'm a Clipper fan for life but my God.

Edit: apparently there was some hold up on Rivers' contract amount, which he is looking for $7 mil a year, that also caused LA to step on the brakes.

According to multiple sources the Clippers killed the deal with the Celtics over one damn draft pick. Boston wanted 2 no. 1 picks and Jordan for Garnett and Rivers. This after Boston backed off Bledsoe, then backed off of those contracts they wanted off the books as well.

Just as the Clips look like they are turning around they do this? It reeks of Donald Sterling, worst owner in sports. I'm a Clipper fan for life but my God.

To be fair, I'm not quite sure the deal is nearly as dead as it's hyped up to be. The exact same thing happened with the CP3 trade - the deal getting killed over the asking price - but both sides settled down and eventually compromised.

Ultimately, this deal not getting done would hurt the Celtics a LOT more than it hurts the Clippers. Doc probably isn't coming back to Boston no matter what, leaving them scrambling for a coach, and they will risk losing KG and Pierce for nothing. Then they'd be forced to face the prospect of rebuilding with a bunch of bad contracts on the books and having got nothing in return for Doc, Pierce, or KG - either that, or they all stay and the Celtics continue paying extremely high payrolls for mediocre teams over the next three years. Meanwhile, the Clippers could just hire another coach and make other moves. I'd be very happy with Brian Shaw, for example. If Ainge is smart, he'll realize the Celtics will be a complete disaster zone unless he swallows his pride and agrees on a deal. Otherwise, good luck to them.

I'm also not buying the idea that CP3 staying with the Clippers was contingent on this deal in particular - otherwise, common sense dictates that it would have been done already. The fact that they're comfortable playing hardball on an extra first-round pick suggests they have plenty of different CP3-approved options on the table to reload the roster.

xLmjWVv.png

The Clippers and Celtics both had payrolls around $70million and both got knocked out in the first round. So I guess they both paid the same for mediocre teams. Boston has their core under contract for at least another season and still have Doc. The Clippers have no coach, could lose Paul, and have only 5 guys signed for next season. Yeah Boston is really hurt right now. Aside from Blake Griffin there is nobody on the Clippers worth trading for.

Archived