HFBoards Bad Comment Aggregator Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nowhere as egregious as the usual fare, but this still gave me a chuckle:

Sorry to say but the bolded will always happen. If Chi fired Quenville tomorrow and Montreal hired him, everyone in QC would be pissed because he isn't a Quebecois/doesnt speak French...

Joel Quenneville's family is from Quebec and he speaks fluent French. whoops

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 months later...

I think my favorite thing about the Hockey Internet w/r/t front offices isn't that they think they're better than the worst general managers, a time-honored tradition of liking sports too much, but rather that they think they're better than the best ones. To hear it from some people, Stan Bowman, Ken Holland, and Peter Chiarelli are all too retarded to put their pants on in the morning, despite successive playoff berths, Final appearances, and Stanley Cups. Jim Nill hasn't done anything but react to other people's bad decisions (forced or unforced) and he's the greatest GM who ever lived. Steve Yzerman's three third rounds and a Final loss in six years are identical to the Rangers' braintrust (in fact, the Rangers had those three in five with no misses), but no one's had a kind word for Glen Sather since he left Edmonton. David Poile's tenure in Nashville predates the iPod, he's never made it out of the second round in such time, and he's a genius because he picked up internet darling P.K. Subban by waiting for a dumb guy to be even dumber. It's like being a virtuoso, but your instrument is the wind chimes.

I have a feeling I can tell you what a team constructed by a "knowledgeable internet fan" would look like. You'd have lots of high-finesse project players, flaky Europeans, and NCAA grads. You'd fetishize possession metrics to the exclusion of virtually everything else and skimp on goaltending because we heard that's what the Red Wings did. Power play attempts would be way up, penalty minutes would be way down. All told, you'd finish about 10th in the conference. If this sounds at all familiar to you, it's probably because you've witnessed the Carolina Hurricanes of the last ten years. And if you want to know what a fanbase would look like without all the ever-so-detestable "hurr durr grit sandpaper FAAAAAART SPORPS" stupids and poors, well, they'd probably look like that of the Hurricanes, too. I'll take my idiocy and three championships.

• 4 months later...
On 11/25/2016 at 10:36 PM, FGM13 said:

"hahah, expansion would be so silly!" -us in 2013

Oops.

We weren't wrong...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=124985693#post124985693

Bickell was overpaid, but there's a difference between a 2.5 guy getting 4 because of timing (and probably marketing pressure from above), and what MS left him as.

In an ideal world, the Blackhawks organization hears Bickell's words about not knowing what's going on with his body and really pushes to find out, rather than simply demoting him to the AHL. Thankfully, he was traded to a very progressive organization in a state with a ton of great medical science.

What exactly makes the Hurricanes "progressive"? not having working-class fans?

That's exactly what it is: a great deal of the cooing over things the Hurricanes, Stars, Lightning, Predators, and Panthers do has a lot to do with the idea that without old generations of benighted working-class goon-lovers exerting some indistinct pressure to play Old-Time Hockey as they must in Boston, Philadelphia, and all of Canada, good smart people are free to labor only on behalf of other good smart people. I have no doubt that there's heavy classism at the root of this. That socioeconomic stratum exists in the New South, of course, but those people don't follow hockey, they just watch college football or NASCAR like they grew up with. Never mind that the Hurricanes have largely been a jobs program for Whalers, MSU grads, and failed Red Wings, people still trumpet this crap about how if you ignore all the losing they've done for the last ten years, they're ~*actually*~ one of the best teams in the league! Never mind that fishing for power plays, playing crap defense, and virtually marrying a goalie because he won halfway through George W. Bush's second term doesn't win you anything, at least it's progressive. It's amazing the things people want southern teams using stats to be.

And I love that the land of potty anxiety is the vanguard of medical science while Chicago apparently treats diseases with bloodletting and candles.

• 2 weeks later...

Christ.  I don't even know to start with this thread.

I sometime contribute in the history section when it has to do with old arena pics and the like and generally avoid the whole whose better than who and stat comparisons but the title of this one unfortunately caught my eye.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2159621

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

23 minutes ago, greyraven8 said:

Christ.  I don't even know to start with this thread.

I sometime contribute in the history section when it has to do with old arena pics and the like and generally avoid the whole whose better than who and stat comparisons but the title of this one unfortunately caught my eye.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2159621

aZoeXuL.gif

I mean, to be fair, Lidstrom is what, the second-best defenseman who ever lived? Your average HFBoarder doesn't know why Gordie Howe is ranked ahead of Nazem Kadri.

I've been waiting for someone to broach this topic: "The NHL should move to 3 v 3 perminetly if they want to grow the sport"

The NHL should fundamentally change their entire game if they want to be bigger. "Australian rules rugby should perminetly (LOLZ) move to 11 on 11 and wear pads if they want to grow the sport."

3 on 3 overtime, while exciting in 5 minute chunks, and really good for avoiding shootouts, would be awful to watch for a full sixty minutes. As the players have gotten bigger and faster ice size is fixed and making it bigger isn't going to happen. These measures will happen before they adopt full on 3v3: elimination of the blue lines, bigger nets (yes please), 4 on 4. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'd like to run the numbers on playoff overtime and see how quickly games tend to end, even at long-change five-on-five, when the only outcomes are an unconditional win or an unconditional loss (that is to say, no weighting of whether it's division, conference, or interconference). I feel like we overrepresent the marathon games in our minds while most sudden-death goals come within the first ten minutes.

Archived