2017 World Baseball Classic (USA is WBC Champion, 2021 Bracket on bottom of Page 9)

RoughRiders99

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everybody for all of the feedbacks! You guys are the ones that really helped me to keep this thread alive and enjoy it even more!

Yes, yes, USA absolutely just dominated this tournament, thanks to the powerful roster that USA had in that MLB The Show Rosters I downloaded.

I think for my next version, if I'm doing one, I will download another roster that one of the users mentioned back in page 3 or 4 and see how it goes there!

If you want to help me out think and plan out the 2021 version of the WBC, please feel free to PM me or leave some ideas in this thread.

I haven't thought about it too much, but I know I'd like to have at least one pool/round to be hosted in Hawaii. MAYBE a little expansion here or there. New tournament structure? Or keep it the same? Who should be the hosts? Does Cuba deserve to host a round? WBC Finals in another country other than USA? Etc etc etc. If you have any ideas, leave them here!

Thanks everybody!!

LLWS Style, Have countries make 2,3 teams and have a series to see who represents them and Make both Sets. EX: USA east vs. west

I've thought about making two international style tournament:

One would be the normal WBC that we see today that would have professional athletes from MLB and such. The only way to get in this tournament is by invitation.

Another one would be a re-invention of the "World Cup" or whatever they call it with up to 127 teams (that's how many teams International Baseball Federation [iBAF] listed) with amateur players (I.E. USA would have collegiate players). It would be somewhat similar to the Soccer World Cup with all of these qualifications and certain confederations getting a certain amount of berths, ending up in a 16 or 32 team tournament.

EDIT: Not saying that I will actually make 127 uniforms for all of these countries, but I'm saying I might put together a tournament structure and what type of format they will have. I've always loved these type of things. I guess you could call me a Bracketologist!

Here are some of my quick thoughts on where the venues should be for the '21 Classic, according to the results of the '17 Classic:

Championship Round: United States.
2006 - Petco Park, San Diego

2009 - Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles
2013 - AT&T Park, San Francisco

2017 - Safeco Field, Seattle

2021 - ?????? Houston? Miami? Tampa Bay's "new Rays stadium with the sail roof?" Arizona? I'd prefer to have it somewhere new, but preferably in the United States because...because.

Second Round: United States has to host at least one. Miami again? Houston? Arizona? Arlington, Texas? Minneapolis, Minnesota? Another could be in Japan? Korea? Korea does have that brand new stadium opening in 2016 I think.

First Round:
-
Japan? Korea?
- Panama? Cuba? Puerto Rico? (Hiram Bithorm Stadium has hosted at least one pool in EVERY classic so far)

- Western Canada, such as Vancouver? Somewhere else in Canada, like Montreal?
- United States? Europe?

Qualifying Round: (Countries are chosen based on their relegation from the '17 Classic)
- Italy

- Mexico

- Taiwan

- New Zealand

(Not sure how I feel about the last two since these two countries are fairly close to each other. I kinda want to spread them out.)

Sub-Qualifiers: (Countries are chosen based on their relegation from the '17 Qualifying Rounds (teams went 0-2))

- Phillipines (Hawaii could work here?)

- Germany

- Spain

- South Africa

Of course, this is just a general outline that I jotted down on who would host and where based on how they performed in the '17 Classic. We don't have to follow it exactly, but just a general idea of what it MIGHT look like.

Championship Round:

2021 - Keep it on the west coast... Angel Stadium, Anaheim / Coors Field, Denver

Second Round:

Pool 1 - New Rays Stadium, Tampa Bay

Pool 2 - Tokyo Dome, Tokyo

First Round:
Pool A - New Seoul Ballpark, Seoul (KOR)
Pool B - Hiram Bithorm Stadium, San Juan (PR)

Pool C - Western Canada
Pool D - Israel (Baseball is becoming really popular there)

NEWSGG copy.png

Championship Round:

2021 - Keep it on the west coast... Angel Stadium, Anaheim / Coors Field, Denver

Second Round:

Pool 1 - New Rays Stadium, Tampa Bay

Pool 2 - Tokyo Dome, Tokyo

First Round:

Pool A - New Seoul Ballpark, Seoul (KOR)

Pool B - Hiram Bithorm Stadium, San Juan (PR)

Pool C - Western Canada

Pool D - Israel (Baseball is becoming really popular there)

I agree with you on keeping it on the West Coast, although Coors Field would be crazy sick. But I think it'd be a little too cold to play there in March, but that's just my opinion.

Also, do you know any suitable baseball stadium in Western Canada? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is BC Place, and that's not a "true" baseball stadium. They can still convert it, but still...not a true baseball stadium.

Hello guys,

While I was watching the Cubs-Cardinals game on TV, I was just thinking about what other International Baseball Competitions there could be, so I devised a rough five-year plan that would happen after the '17 Classic. In '18, there would be qualifications for the "world" games, such as Pan-Am, Asian and Pacific Games. In '19, it's when the actual games would take place. In '20 would be a BRAND new event, somewhat similar to the now-ceased Baseball World Cup. It'll be sorta a reboot for the World Cup. Teams can get in this event based on their performance in the "world" games (Pan-Am, Asian, etc). Also, in the same year, it's when the actual WBC Qualifiers would take place, and that would be by invitation only, because we all know how much MLB wants USA to be in the finals. And then finally, in 2021, there will be the 5th World Baseball Classic taking place. Take a look at the outline and tell me what you think about it.

Thanks!

International Baseball Competitions

- 4th World Baseball Classic

- XVII Pan-Am Games Qualification

- XVII Asian Games Qualification

- II European Games Qualification

- 11th Al-Africa Games Qualification

- 16th Pacific Games Qualification

- IVII Pan-Am Games

· Ciudad Bolívar, Venezuela

· La Punta, Argentina

· Lima, Peru

· Santiago, Chile

- XVII Asian Games

· Hanoi, Vietnam

- II European Games

· TBD

- 11th All-Africa Games

· TBD

- 16th Pacific Games

· Nukualofa, Tonga

- Global Baseball Games (Have yet decided on a title for this event)

· Amateurs only

· For eligible teams based on performance in Pan-Am, Asian, European, All-Africa and Pacific Games.

· Brand New Baseball Event, somewhat a reinvention of the now extinct Baseball World Cup.

- World Baseball Classic Qualification

· By invitation only

- Miscellaneous

· By teams not participating in WBC Qualifications

· Exhibition Games Tour/Friendly Series

· Regional Tournaments

- 5th World Baseball Classic

EDIT FROM PHONE: forgot to mention that baseball is now out of the Olympics and this "Global Baseball Games" would essentially replace Olympic Baseball.

Here is the IBAF's International Baseball Competitions Outline link: http://www.ibaf.org/...c4-dabffbd49ca8

That is all that the IBAF has released about that event, but I suspect that it will be in Japan, because the NPB mentioned launching its own WBC style tournament in 2015; source is http://yakyubaka.com...nament-in-2015/ ... and the NPB hosted the last major IBAF meeting. However, that is just me speculating.

Here is my vision of the 2021 WBC, the tournament will have a moderate expansion of four new teams and the first round of qualifiers will use a 5 team double elimination format; click here for an example. The numbers next to each country indicates their seed within the group.

2019, Round 1 Qualifiers:
Double Elimination - Top Team Advances

Asia Group - Manila, Philippines

1. Philippines
  2. Pakistan
  3. Indonesia
  4. Thailand
  5. Sri Lanka

Americas/Pacific Group - Buenos Aires, Argentina

1. Argentina
  2. Ecuador
  3. Honduras
  4. Chile
  5. Guam

Europe/Africa Group - Slough, England

1. Great Britain
  2. France
  3. Croatia
  4. Belgium
  5. Uganda

Europe Group - Prague, Czech Republic

1. Czech Republic
  2. Sweden
  3. Ireland
  4. Russia
  5. Ukraine

2020, WBCQ Round 2 Qualifiers:
Modified Double Elimination - Top Team Advances

WBCQ Group A - Guangzhou, China

1. China
  2. Spain
  3. South Africa
  4. Asia Group Winner

WBCQ Group B - Sydney, Australia

1. Australia
  2. New Zealand
  3. Greece
  4. Americas/Pacific Group Winner

WBCQ Group C - Panama City, Panama

1. Panama
  2. Colombia
  3. Germany
  4. Europe/Africa Group Winner

WBCQ Group D - Mexico City, Mexico

1. Mexico
  2. Brazil
  3. Nicaragua
  4. Europe Group Winner

2021, Round 1
Round Robin - Top 2 Teams Advance

Seoul, South Korea

1. South Korea
  2. Netherlands
  3. Israel
  4. WBCQ Group A Winner

Tokyo, Japan

1. Cuba
  2. Japan
  3. Taiwan
  4. WBCQ Group B Winner

San Juan, Puerto Rico

1. USA
  2. Dominican Republic
  3. Puerto Rico
  4. WBCQ Group C Winner

Toronto, Canada

1. Canada
  2. Venezuela
  3. Italy
  4. WBCQ Group D Winner

2021, Round 2

Modified Double Elimination - Top 2 Teams Advance

Seoul, South Korea - Seoul and Tokyo Winners
Houston, USA - San Juan and Toronto Winners

2021, Finals
Double Elimination Final Four

Los Angeles, USA

The Finals would be a Double Elimination Series between the top four teams. The WBCSC might be open to this idea by 2021.

Hi everybody, for the past two days, I've been mixing and matching of what the 2021 WBC could possibly look like, based on the '17 Classic's results and a little bit on Amazins' post from a few days ago.

Here are some notable facts about this possible bracket:

- The Philippines will "host" a round in Honolulu, Hawaii, due to their lack of suitable baseball facility. Plus, I really, REALLY like Hawaii!

- Brazil will finally get a chance to host a round.

- In the first round, Canada will host a round in Vancouver in the newly renovated BC Place.

- The North American rivals United States, Canada and Mexico are all back together in one pool.

- Two new American ballparks will host the second round and the championship round in Tampa Bay and San Jose, respectively. (This is fictional, but one could dream!)

- Guam, Honduras, Uganda, Ukraine and Chile are the expansion teams. Bahamas withdrew from the tournament.

2021 World Baseball Classic

Sub-Qualifiers

Double Elimination – Top Team Advances

Pool A – Honolulu, Hawaii (The Philippines are the unofficial host)

1. Philippines

2. Nicaragua

3. Indonesia

4. Guam

5. Honduras

Pool B – Moscow, Russia

1. Russia

2. Ireland

3. Belgium

4. Germany

5. Ukraine

Pool C – Barcelona, Spain

1. Spain

2. Argentina

3. France

4. Croatia

5. Czech Republic

Pool D – Johannesburg, South Africa

1. South Africa

2. Sri Lanka

3. Thailand

4. Uganda

5. Chile

Qualifying Rounds

Double Elimination – Top Team Advances

Pool A – Auckland, New Zealand

1. New Zealand

2. Australia

3. Pakistan

4. Pool A, Hawaii Winner

Pool B – Taichung City, Taiwan

1. Chinese Taipei

2. China

3. Great Britain

4. Pool B, Russia Winner

Pool C – Rome, Italy

1. Italy

2. Sweden

3. Greece

4. Pool C, Spain Winner

Pool D – São Paulo, Brazil

1. Brazil

2. Colombia

3. Ecuador

4. Pool D, South Africa Winner

First Round

Round Robin – Top 2 Teams Advance

Pool A – Seoul, South Korea

- South Korea

- Netherlands

- Israel

- Pool A, New Zealand Winner

Pool B – Sapporo, Japan

- Japan

- Cuba

- Panama

- Pool B, Taiwan Winner

Pool C – Vancouver, Canada

- Canada

- United States

- Mexico

- Pool C, Italy Winner

Pool D – San Juan, Puerto Rico

- Puerto Rico

- Venezuela

- Dominican Republic

- Pool D, Brazil Winner

Second Round

Modified Double Elimination – Top 2 Teams Advance

Pool 1 – Tokyo, Japan

- Seoul and Sapporo Winners

Pool 2 – Tampa Bay, United States (Rays new ballpark)

- Vancouver and San Juan Winner

Championship Round

Double Elimination Final Four

San Jose, United States (Athletics new ballpark)

- Tokyo and Tampa Bay Winner

Archived