NFL Training Camp uniforms - all 32 teams (eventually)

oldschoolvikings

So, this is (hopefully) going to be my first long-term project for the concepts section… designing training camp uniforms (jerseys and pants) for all 32 NFL teams.

This idea popped into my head from a discussion in another thread. There were a few posts of a couple of teams from training camp and someone was wondering why the NFL didn’t try to market and sell the jerseys. A good question… seems like a good untapped market, not unlike baseball’s batting practice jerseys and caps. But, as is, the current state of these designs is all over the place from team to team. Some franchises obviously spend a bit of thought on the jersey (the Cowboys have a training camp jersey some members here think is better than their game jersey, and Tampa’s always gets a few comments) while other teams seem to have bought the cheapest jerseys possible, screened on plain numbers, and called it good enough. So, if they were actually going to try to reach a paying market with these, there would need to be some thought put into them, and some reason why anybody would actually want to spend money on one.

So, my first thought was, how to make them different from game jerseys and recognizably unique as what they are… training camp jerseys. My idea is to add graphics… wordmarks and/or logos to the front of the jersey. This means shrinking down the front number, but since there aren’t press box announcers trying to quickly read anybody’s number, I think we can get away with that. Also, I’m going color on color for offense and defense whenever possible, giving fans a chance to buy a jersey in a color they otherwise couldn’t. Also, every team will have a Quarterback jersey in red or some other bright non-team color for yet another unique choice.

Here are my “rules” that I’ve set out for myself to design these.

1. Each team will have three jerseys, a light color for offense, a dark color for defense, and a no-hit QB jersey.
  2. Whenever possible, we will go with color on color. QB jerseys will mostly be bright red, except when the team uses red as a primary color, in which case the QB jersey will be gold. If a team has orange in their color scheme, an orange QB jersey is a possibility.
  3. To keep the retail cost of the jerseys comparable to game replicas there will be no TV numbers and all stripes, logos, numbers and graphics will be screened on. Most numbers will be single color, although there will be a few two color number sets.
  4. All jerseys will carry a large graphic on the upper chest of either a team logo or large college-style word mark. Front numbers will be 6 to 8 inches to make room for this graphic.
  5. All teams will wear white practice pants with a simple (usually one color) stripe. Offense and defense will wear the same pants.
  6. All jerseys have a space for a small ad. Currently, some teams sell ad space on their jersey and some don’t… it seems to be up to each team individually. I would make the size and placement of the ad uniform for all teams. It’s conceivable a company would pay even more for this ad placement knowing these jerseys might be bought and worn on the street.
  7. No "editorializing" on a team's current uniform. All practice jerseys must be based on each teams game uniform "as is"... colors, logos, etc.

Please let me know what you think!

First up... the NFC NORTH

gbtc_zps539b7628.png

viketc_zps84c880fc.png

beartc_zpsaba2dd22.png

liontc_zps7eaddd18.png

The only one I like is Detroit. Mainly because you used a wordmark instead of the logo. I'd say go with something other than keeping the regular jersey stripes. Maybe look at an older jersey or try a crazy design to make them stand out

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The only one I like is Detroit. Mainly because you used a wordmark instead of the logo. I'd say go with something other than keeping the regular jersey stripes. Maybe look at an older jersey or try a crazy design to make them stand out

Well, my inclination with these is to keep them fairly simple. They are basically practice jerseys, and even if the plan was to market them to fans, a crazy design kind of goes against the practice uniform concept. As training camp jerseys they'd have to be mass produced pretty heavily, a lot for players who won't even make the team.

Also, I'm trying to work with each teams game look "as is"... and not change any colors, graphics, wordmarks, or logos. If I was redesigning a team's look, there are a few NFL teams I'd like to redo from the ground up, but that's not the plan here. The plan is to look at each team's game uniform, and extrapolate a somewhat simplified practice jersey from it.

That said, I expect these to get a little more "out there" as I go along. Starting with the NFC North might have been a bit of a mistake... compared to other divisions the north is a little more conservative, overall. Heck, every team has sleeve stripes... some divisions (the NFC South) have no teams with sleeve stripes, so those jerseys won't look anything like these. Planning ahead, designing a practice jersey for teams like Seattle and Jacksonville will force me to push the envelope, I'm sure.

I like that you have a plan for this that is well thought out and detailed. But if youre just going to collow the same formula for every team theres no need to go any farther. We can see its logo on front, over number, match jersey design. You dont have to get too crazy with it but i think giving each team the same treatment is a little stale

Also throw in a pair of shorts instead of pants . This might be a chane to do something different with the helmets too. Parcells used to leave the star off the Cowboys helmets during camp they " had to earn the star"

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I like that you have a plan for this that is well thought out and detailed. But if youre just going to collow the same formula for every team theres no need to go any farther. We can see its logo on front, over number, match jersey design. You dont have to get too crazy with it but i think giving each team the same treatment is a little stale

Also throw in a pair of shorts instead of pants . This might be a chane to do something different with the helmets too. Parcells used to leave the star off the Cowboys helmets during camp they " had to earn the star"

The shorts idea is really good... I might have to go back and add it in.

Yeah, the complaints about the sameness across the board are pretty valid. I guess I'm torn between pushing the envelope a bit and keeping everything simple for what are, in reality, just practice jerseys. That said, I'm trying to stay within the boundaries of the original plan and add some overall variety. Here is the NFC EAST:

redskntc_zpsdafc9522.png

COWTC_zps9d736e11.png

eagtc_zpse47cf05d.png

giatc_zps719d421a.png

If you're going to do big logos on the front, then don't even try to work it in to the established formula of an NFL jersey. Go full-out CFL / WL. The balance you're trying to achieve between number and logo simply isn't working. I'm not suggesting to go full Lights Out crazy here, but it's like you have an idea, but you're afraid to really go for it. So go for it, goddammit!

$(KGrHqV,!hUE8nzM-TzGBQNEw1I6F!~~60_35.JPG$(KGrHqR,!lYF!uZoO+s!BQNFM7Cn0w~~60_35.JPG8365633760_c31261f091_z.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If you're going to do big logos on the front, then don't even try to work it in to the established formula of an NFL jersey. Go full-out CFL / WL. The balance you're trying to achieve between number and logo simply isn't working. I'm not suggesting to go full Lights Out crazy here, but it's like you have an idea, but you're afraid to really go for it. So go for it, goddammit!

$(KGrHqV,!hUE8nzM-TzGBQNEw1I6F!~~60_35.JPG$(KGrHqR,!lYF!uZoO+s!BQNFM7Cn0w~~60_35.JPG8365633760_c31261f091_z.jpg

You know what?

You are absolutely right. You actually nailed me pretty good, Vet. I think I did have those World League jerseys in the back of my head. But i guess I didn't want to go that route completely because those looks are pretty roundly disliked (and by me, too), so I was kind of straddling the fence a little. Trying to stay sort of NFL-safe and still somehow add larger graphics. My thought was the larger graphics would make it more appealing as a specialty jersey, but this approach is coming off a little half-assed.

I may have to put this on hold and do some reworking of the overall concept. Thanks for the push.

That Redskins jersey is ace! And I think as far as using the WLAF design, it works if the design is one of the teams that have a somewhat rounded logo or a shield lije the 49ers, Denver or the Raiders. For a team like Cleveland, extending the stripes across the yoke like Seattle's regular jerseys would be a good look too.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Redskins and Seahawks are very cool for training camp jerseys. Awesome idea for a post! I'm actually kind of wishing that teams did stuff like this now. It's surprising that nike hasnt pressured teams into trying their pitched ideas in camp like this.

Like most people have said, try and be creative with each team instead of doing a cookie cutter thing. It will be much more rewarding for everyone, including yourself

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived