American Baseball League: THREAD IS DEAD

dsaline97

TeamHeader_zps659bc738.png

The Arizona Sidewinders joined the ABL in 1968 as an expansion. Their nickname has a dual meaning: both the snake that lives in Arizona and the type of pitcher with the sideways delivery. The colors represent the skin of a sidewinder, contrasted by a dark forest green.

The Sidewinders struggled in their early years as a club, making the playoffs three times before the league’s 50th anniversary in 1985. Before the 1986 season, Arizona was on the receiving end of a blockbuster trade, acquiring starting pitcher Salvador Rice, shortstop Armando Murphy, and power right fielder Jack Hernandez from Omaha in exchange for numerous high draft picks. Playoffs soon became a consistent thing in Arizona, reaching the postseason 11 years out of the next 13. They still struggled in the playoffs, however, until they finally made it over the hump in 1991, winning their first ABL Championship. After the three future hall-of-famers retired in 1997, all hope of postseason success was seemingly lost, until center fielder Howard Lewis was drafted two years later in 1999. He immediately became a fan favorite, and rightfully so – he hit over .310 in each of his first 5 seasons. The Sidewinders traded for Joe Wise, a strikeout machine with a filthy knuckle curve – averaging 2.2 strikeouts per inning – and won their second title in 2003.

The Sidewinders uniforms are traditional, like many teams in the league. A sidewinder in its distinctive motion, also in the shape of an “S”, is on the cap and in the center of the primary logo. The scripts read “ARIZONA” and “SIDEWINDERS” in a desert-esque font. The base color for the uniforms is sand, with white as a Sunday home alternate. Green is worn on the road as the primary jersey, and black is worn as a Friday night alternate.

Logos_zpsd1c22219.png

Home_zpsce56a326.png

Road_zps083d5bd6.png

HomeAlt_zpsc47c902a.png

RoadAlt_zps190cfdba.png

HomeBP_zpsff07012c.png

RoadBP_zps5af1cc75.png

C&C Appreciated!

spacer.png

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like most everything about the Arizona set. The scripts are really nice and the palette is fitting. My only negative is the primary. I feel like your snake "S" needs a touch of refinement. Maybe some space between the curves and a pattern inside of it to make it more interesting. It is close, so I wouldn't overwork it.

Old Dog Learning New Tricks.

It's a little overdone, but I would put in baseball stitches in the negative space behind the snake in the roundel.

I like most everything about the Arizona set. The scripts are really nice and the palette is fitting. My only negative is the primary. I feel like your snake "S" needs a touch of refinement. Maybe some space between the curves and a pattern inside of it to make it more interesting. It is close, so I wouldn't overwork it.

Both of those are definitely doable, and I like how it sounds. A distinctive pattern that could go inside the numbers, maybe...

spacer.png

It's a little overdone, but I would put in baseball stitches in the negative space behind the snake in the roundel.[/quote

]

Both of those are definitely doable, and I like how it sounds. A distinctive pattern that could go inside the numbers, maybe...

Stupid Quotes. That's happened to me 3 times already.

Updated the poll, now multiple choice, and two more questions added.

The guy who voted the Suns as a least favorite was me. Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I don't feel it's one of my best. Glad everyone likes it, though.

spacer.png

When I read 1968 as the established date, I immediately thought that seemed a bit early for a team from Arizona. I noticed that the Phoenix Suns have been around that long, but most other pro teams in the state have come since the 80s as the area has exploded.

The concept itself is quite nice, great colours. One thing I don't really like is how the wordmarks and numbers are the same font. It just seems a bit too much to my eyes, esp. the front of the jerseys.

When I read 1968 as the established date, I immediately thought that seemed a bit early for a team from Arizona. I noticed that the Phoenix Suns have been around that long, but most other pro teams in the state have come since the 80s as the area has exploded.

The concept itself is quite nice, great colours. One thing I don't really like is how the wordmarks and numbers are the same font. It just seems a bit too much to my eyes, esp. the front of the jerseys.

That's a good point, I think the 70's could have been about the earliest, but this is the concepts section, so it's a free realm

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived