Seattle SuperSonics ReBrand

Digs

A few months back when it seemed the Kings were headed north, I put together this re-brand for the impending return of the Sonics to be NBA. Alas, we may not be seeing the return of basketball in the Emerald city for a little longer yet, but I thought I might as well share this with you all...

As you can see, I've tried to incorporate elements from just about every era of Sonics history - overall the visual identity is simple and classic, and would hopefully stand the test of time.

C&C very much appreciated - I'm interested to see what everyone thinks.

9157027221_7dd09c4bda_o.jpg

***thanks to Weatherman for the court template!

hmm, that's odd - I tried to link to the full-size image on photobucket, but I get the message: "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community"

...i'm guessing this is because the full-size photobucket url ends with .jpg~original

anyone know a way around this??

its very small

yeah, as I said, I tried to link to the full-size on photobucket, but got the message: "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community"

the photobucket full-size file ends in .jpg~original, so I'm guessing that's what is causing the problem...

has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it?

its very small

yeah, as I said, I tried to link to the full-size on photobucket, but got the message: "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community"

the photobucket full-size file ends in .jpg~original, so I'm guessing that's what is causing the problem...

Click the switch top left. Remove the extra characters after the file extension so it is just .jpg or whatever you use.

Old Dog Learning New Tricks.

its very small

Click the switch top left. Remove the extra characters after the file extension so it is just .jpg or whatever you use.

Yeah, that's what I did, but then it displays the smaller version unfortunately. Photobucket seems to require the "~original" extension to link to the full-size image. Very annoying...

primary logo - are all the buildings in Seattle rectangles? if not bring in some more accurate shapes into the skyline, it's pretty boring as is. a better idea might be to focus on the needle itself, even though thats been done a few times, it might make for a better logo. as a primary, i think its too complex, you have a full word mark and alternate in here as well. some elements need to be dropped and other emphasized. i suggest dropping the "seattle supersonics" and blowing up the cool "S" mark

2nd/3rd/alt - no need for all of these, especially when they're just copies of something else. just go with the alternate S as your secondary. also, that S mark has a weird alignment going on. that vertical split down the center makes it odd. the brush S (from the script mark) might also be a cool alternate if treated the same way with the yellow/green blocking

word mark - that ligature of the two T's in Seattle should probably go. none of the other letters are doing that. it just looks like a mistake

uniforms - i dont think you need any strokes around the numbers or word marks

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

primary logo - are all the buildings in Seattle rectangles? if not bring in some more accurate shapes into the skyline, it's pretty boring as is. a better idea might be to focus on the needle itself, even though thats been done a few times, it might make for a better logo. as a primary, i think its too complex, you have a full word mark and alternate in here as well. some elements need to be dropped and other emphasized. i suggest dropping the "seattle supersonics" and blowing up the cool "S" mark

2nd/3rd/alt - no need for all of these, especially when they're just copies of something else. just go with the alternate S as your secondary. also, that S mark has a weird alignment going on. that vertical split down the center makes it odd. the brush S (from the script mark) might also be a cool alternate if treated the same way with the yellow/green blocking

word mark - that ligature of the two T's in Seattle should probably go. none of the other letters are doing that. it just looks like a mistake

uniforms - i dont think you need any strokes around the numbers or word marks

Primary logo - the Skyline is a close replication of the skyline in the original "semi-circle" Sonics logo... I did think about modernising the skyline and introducing buildings of other shapes, but was worried this could overcomplicate things. I did have a version of the logo with a big "S" and small wordmark - not sure what the exact NBA regulations are, but it was my understanding that a primary logo had to contain both the city name and team name.

2nd/3rd/alt - The monochrome skyline is by far my favourite of the alt logos - I think it would work great on merchandise and TV graphics etc. I know what you mean about the split S; I'm still not 100% sold on it, but I stuck with it to tie in with the trim on the jerseys.

Wordmark - the TT ligature has pretty much been a hallmark of all Sonics wordmarks throughout their history.

Uniforms - I really didn't want to put outlines on the no's & marks, but couldn't help myself. Case in point the current Sixers jerseys, which a lot of people view as "unfinished" without an outline. Still, might have another look and see if it can work in this case.

Archived