Wonka's NHL Redesign : Philadelphia Flyers 3rd idea.

MrWonka

Wow! Many very nice concepts. Bringing in some out-of-the-box thinking but (mostly) still keeping it real to the respective teams.

Only thing that bugs me is the template you are currently using. I can't help but to me it looks like those tiny jerseys you can hang inside your car.

As you put so much effort into this I'll give you a feedback for every jersey. Probably that's just interesting for you and too much for others to read but hopefully it's some good feedback for you. Here's my rating (by trying to overlook the tiny-jersey template and focusing on how the design would look like on a real jersey ;o))

Canucks - 8,0/10 (Although I like the blue/green this is one's very sharp even without the green)

Devils - 8,5/10 (Not a big fan of the Devils jersey but this one makes some tweaks into a very good direction and makes me liking the Devils)

Blackhawks - 7,5/10 (Oooh - untouchables. Don't like the red one but the white is nice)

Stars - 7,5/10 (Having problems with the dark one - black shoulders and silver striping doesn't work for me - perhaps when the pant is in place everything's fine but until then it bugs me, white is fine)

Kings - 6/10 (Just because there's no purple ;o) - don't like the logo)

Predators - 5/10 (Too much out of the box - Looks like sublimation is necessary cause of the sharp edges)

Jets - 5/10 (Too much red in the blue color and don't like the piping along the sleeves that separates the double digit numbers)

Red Wings - 8,5/10 (Nice one - although the arching name collides a bit with the striping but somehow that doesn't bother me)

Wild - 9/10 (I already love the new away jersey - this one doesn't fall behind)

Canadiens - 8,5/10 (Another untouchable - no question but I like the unique sleeves of the white - well done!)

Blue Jackets - 8/10 (Sublimation needed but: I totally like the way it fits together - better with white hockey sticks)

Penguins - 8,5/10 (Black one's not very spectacular but I like that those two are completely different. Love the white one)

Sharks - 7,5/10 (Actually the striping doesn't work together that well but It really looks like something that the sharks would wear - unless the players won't scratch the waist stripes to reduce the jerseys weight ;o))

Ducks - 7/10 (Missing the gold. Apart from that it takes the current design one step further. Not into the complete right direction from my point of view - but again - could imagine the ducks wearing it)

Canes - 9/10 (Yes! I think Dylan Alexander did a Canes Concept a while ago that I also liked pretty much. This one is much better than their current generic look)

Coyotes - 9/10 (Great! Individually. And: I totally dislike the Coyotes current Number Font - thanks for fixing that - with the sand color even better)

Sabres - 8,5/10 (I like it but honestly I don't see many new things)

Flames - 9,5/10 (Wow! Those are special. Those are great - Perhaps have to think about the colored striping for not making it look like germany on the waist of the white but other than that - Great!)

Islanders - 9/10 (Two great jerseys. And quite modern feel cause of the logo. Although the Islanders logo probably should be on it - I agree with you that it wouldn't make the jersey prettier.)

Avalanche - 6/10 (Bring back the burgundy. Wouldn't wear it cause the jersey feels cold!!!)

Capitals - 8,5/10 (Interesting take. The more I look at it the more I like it although I was a bit "shocked" at the beginning.)

Flyers - 7,5/10 (That's ok - I like the current more plain design better)

Rangers - 8/10 (Good one but don't take the Logo - this just looks shrunk on the lower end)

Leafs - 4/10 (Sorry, but totally disagree with that one. This shoulder striping would make the Leafs lose their identity)

Bruins - 7/10 (Mixture of going more modern and more classic in one step. Shoulder yoke - modern, waist and sleeves - classic. Combination doesn't take me over)

Panthers - 8/10 (Like that those are a but busy. Suppose that the shoulder yoke piping would look great on portrait shots of the players.)

Blues - 7,5/10 (Like the impression by the colors but the shoulder yoke is a bit too much out of the box)

Oilers - 7/10 (Their current are just not to beat. The white one looks boring to me)

Lightning - 7,5/10 (Yes they can have some busy jerseys in Tampa.)

Senators - 9/10 (Great! A whole new look but looks very traditional.)

Ducks - 8/10 (Looks a bit like some Replica Jerseys that were around during the nineties. Other than that - I like it better than the other Ducks concepts)

Bruins - 8/10 (Alright. Traditional striping. Cannot do anything wrong with that)

Sabres - 7/10 (Of course it beats their current mess. Like some parts like the yoke and the sleeves but not the waist.)

Flames - 6/10 (Black in black - o.k. - but the rest - I don't know. Perhaps with red pants.Or this could make it even worse ;o))

Whalers - 8/10 (I totally like those. Bring on green jerseys ;o))

Thrashers - 7/10 (First impression was good. But when I discovered the blue numbers I couldn't stop looking at them - and disliking them.)

Rockies - 9/10 (Love the color scheme. And for the first time - the EDGE-Look (piping down from the collar) makes sense. Great!)

Canes - 8,5/10 (This would make a great third jersey. Unique pattern but fits perfectly with the Canes.)

Blackhawks - 9,5/10 (This would have made a great Stadium Series Jersey. Clearly one of the best.)

Avalanche - 7,5/10 (So the Sharks told them to get rid off the waist-stripes?)

Blues - 8/10 (Clean and simple. Great look!)

Flames - 8,5/10 (Another great set (ignoring the template for the first time ;o)). Although I like the set with the black. I like this one very much as well.)

Red Wings - no rating (I can only say that although the wings look a bit cleaner on the logo - the tire looks too static.)

Flyers - 6/10 (oooh - if they played hockey on starship troopers their jersey might have looked like this. It looks like an inline hockey jersey. )

Sabres - 7,5/10 (Perhaps this could work but I'm not totally buying in on the white one.)

Senators - 5/10 (Unique but takes away the Senators feel!!)

Flyers - 7,5/10 (Why not. Much black in it but I think this could look great. Perhaps you propose it to the Grizzly Adams Wolfsburg (DEL) - they'll take it!)

Blues - 8/10 (I like the feel of this jersey although I usually don't like white yokes on colored jerseys but this one works.)

Canucks - 7/10 (Nah - not so much. Although it's an interesting take with two different blue colors.)

Stars - 6,5/10 (Not very unique for the first one. Stars one is ok.)

Senators - 9,5/10 (Wow. Great concepts. Totally new way of putting together those colors and I have to say that I totally love it.)

Penguins - 7,5/10 (That's good looking but it should have come in another post to give a better ranking ;o))

Avs & Blues - 9/10 (Those two look really great. Would love to see that jersey matchup.)

Unfortunately there cannot be placed some thumbnails ahead of the ranking so you have to look the Designs up for what I meant but as I said - just for you and you probably know your designs ;o) Also hope that I always used the correct words as I'm no native speaker/writer ;o)

All the best wishes

Daniel

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@DanOtis

Second post on this Forum and I already love you. I have to thank you for taking your time to go through the whole thread. There are two things I have to say before I finish off this response.

1.) I also dislike a lot of the ones you disliked in your ratings. Almost one year since I started this thread and I can say my designing skills and taste in jerseys has changed. I'm also sure that might change a little bit again this next year.

2.) The jersey template is an Illustrator traced template from NHLuniforms.com. At first I didn't like it either, for the most part it looks too big and wide. However, my opinion has changed (again) and I really really like it.

The only thing I have to say to response literally to your critiques is that I respect just about every single one of them. I think you nailed it with almost every team. I would rate them just about the same. The only thing I caught that I may disagree with is the most recent stars one. You say the first one is not very unique. However, I've actually never seen striping and sleeve striping portrayed like that before.

Just an aside... The Avs could never use the Rockies design for a WC because the Rockies franchise still exists in New Jersey today.

I would like to see a WC in Denver pitting the Avalanche against the Devils; where the Avs wear Nordiques throwbacks and the Devils wear Rockies throwbacks.

That would be some trippy stuff haha!

And also, shouldn't they be allowed to use just the C? I mean, it's on the Colorado Flag, it's not a design that just the Rockies used. Also when the Ducks used the Mighty Ducks logo this year, I don't think it should be that hard to get the rights to use at all if it was an issue.

For a contest on HJC. Outside the box...I know. One thing I would have to say is that it looks very Junior in my opinion. However, there's a part of me that would think this could work. Kind of reminds me of their first Edge jerseys, but in a different way...

15e6a96e5a25d3edffa36ecd07279710.png

Never was a big fan of that logo, but you've done a great job with the concept. I think your choice of fonts as well as the colour choices and striping patterns work extremely well with the logo.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Thanks for all of the love guys! This was my first version (first logo). Which logo do you guys prefer? This one is supposed to date back to the original roundel logo they had. Obviously updated a lot though.

11efeec812fa3ab1e0932ab46f4b4e77.png

i wonder why the idea of the musical staff has never been used, like this:

v4t0sg.jpg

keep in mind i cant even draw stick people, so the art is terrible, but its the idea thats cool, or not?

Thanks for all of the love guys! This was my first version (first logo). Which logo do you guys prefer? This one is supposed to date back to the original roundel logo they had. Obviously updated a lot though.

11efeec812fa3ab1e0932ab46f4b4e77.png

i wonder why the idea of the musical staff has never been used, like this:

v4t0sg.jpg

keep in mind i cant even draw stick people, so the art is terrible, but its the idea thats cool, or not?

I'm guessing you don't remember the 90s. That's a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on better presentation and technique with this template....look out for a whole new NHL concept series soon using this template. Before that I'm going to try and make different collars to go along with the template so not every single jersey has a lace up collar.

28267ce56eae0eb47becd4edd5101b76.png

The hint of green on the logo and lack of wordmark really helps this jersey flow. btw, I enjoy the idea of CCM being shown even though it's still the same thing.

The hint of green on the logo and lack of wordmark really helps this jersey flow. btw, I enjoy the idea of CCM being shown even though it's still the same thing.

Yea, still not sure how official it will be for next season but some CHL teams unveiled jerseys with CCM instead so it looks like the change might happen to the NHL next year. I think it looks better on the back than the generic "reebok"

• 2 weeks later...

After looking at all your concepts it was tough as they were all amazing, but if i had to pick my favourite it would be the Colorado vs st-louis. The color choice was amazing, and how you made the logo "colorado" something boring turn into something great.

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

Twitter: @lestoplegault - Email: Christiantlegault@gmail.com Blog: http://legaultdesigns.blogspot.ca/

Archived