oldschoolvikings

Worst number fonts ever?

I nominate these non-lamented uglies.

Jaguars_Numbers.jpg

Nothing too egregious about that. They're block letters with a slight twist to make them look unique. This doesn't belong anywhere near the 'Worst fonts ever' category.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's the worst, but the Capitals had some pretty bad ones with their late 90s/pre-Edge set

14296.jpg

jersey.jpg

12959.jpg

Columbus-Blue-Jackets-2533_LRG.jpg

You know, for as much hate as these get, I love the concept behind them. They need some tweaking (the 1 isn't good), but overall I like them.

Columbus-Blue-Jackets-2533_LRG.jpg

You know, for as much hate as these get, I love the concept behind them. They need some tweaking (the 1 isn't good), but overall I like them.

That 7 with the straight stem drives me up a wall... the 4 is nightmarish as well. It reminds me of something off Dafont.

Also, that nameplate font is an awful match for their normal copperplate-y numbers.

V9o1Zl4.jpg

bcTK7h7.png

As far as block fonts go, this one screams "cheap rec league." I have no idea why it's so common in the NBA in particular.

The font numbers of Philly and Utah were copycats of those used by the New York Knicks. So blame it on the Knicks.

new-york-knicks-nba-offseason-2013.jpg?w=600&h=425

At least the Knicks have an outline on their numbers. Lights Out is right, Utah and Philly's numbers look awful.

San Francisco Giants in the late 1980s:

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=OSuDyCCff3FflqiDp8zQTM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsIjlQZhsKjcPAXHa$JNc9CWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-

tumblr_lanuhd4QCq1qzp3dco1_400.jpg

sp_giants30df006350x262.jpg

Philadelphia Phillies in the 1970s and 1980s:

1980-world-series.jpg

victory2-788034.jpg

eyoseph_efseaff_sm_zps20ee8dec.jpg

expos1969.jpg

Those two aren't really close though. UCLA's are a modified version of Clarendon. In their history, they've used a couple different versions of that set. Ohio State, Marquette football, and Nebraska, among others no doubt, have used an iteration of those numbers.

Nebraska's 60s uniforms are an excellent example of these numbers:

team_left_final.jpg

The Expos numbers, as far as I know, has only ever been used by the Expos on a national level (pro, NCAA, etc.).

exposnumbers.png

Also, that nameplate font is an awful match for their normal copperplate-y numbers.

The problem there lies with the Copperplate numbers. YUCK.

NFL:

lawyer-milloy-fanbase-com.jpg

NBA:

6-the-toronto-raptors-pinstriped-jerseys1995-1999.jpg

MLB:

BDD_RH_tor_71909_reu.jpg

NHL:

penguins_sabres.jpg

Yikes. I'd forgotten about that one. Winner.

The Expos numbers, as far as I know, has only ever been used by the Expos on a national level (pro, NCAA, etc.).

exposnumbers.png

I think the KC and/or Oakland A's used them on the front--but not the back--early on.

I was just coming in here to post that Heat/Lakers block font. It's slightly more tolerable without the drop shadows like on the Lakers' current uniforms, but my god, some of those numbers look horrible:

Chucky%20atkins1.jpg

lamar%2Bodom.jpg

51916979_display_image.jpg?1301199435

Funny, I was going to say it needs the drop shadows to distract from some of the wonky cuts and stuff that set it off from regular block.

Except the drop shadows were often wonky too:

8KALG3v.jpg

X0WDJXJ.jpg

I still think the Lakers' current uniforms are the best they've ever worn, but there's really nothing that can be done to make that number font look good. With a better number font, a different collar design, and a "Los Angeles" wordmark on the road, they'd look perfect.

I was just coming in here to post that Heat/Lakers block font. It's slightly more tolerable without the drop shadows like on the Lakers' current uniforms, but my god, some of those numbers look horrible:

Chucky%20atkins1.jpg

I can deal with that 9, its their current 9 that bugs the hell out of me. With the bigger hole, it makes the top part of the number seem skinnier than the bottom part of the number.

Barnes.jpg