Worst number fonts ever?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just coming in here to post that Heat/Lakers block font. It's slightly more tolerable without the drop shadows like on the Lakers' current uniforms, but my god, some of those numbers look horrible:

Chucky%20atkins1.jpg

I can deal with that 9, its their current 9 that bugs the hell out of me. With the bigger hole, it makes the top part of the number seem skinnier than the bottom part of the number.

Barnes.jpg

When did they change to this? I'm guessing the six has that awful, too big counter as well.

I would assume it changed with the move to Rev30. And yes, the 6 is just as bad:

KGp6DaT.png

For all the hate that the Rbk Edge system (rightfully) gets on here, I'm surprised at the relative lack of criticism for the Rev30 system, because it's ruined NBA aesthetics in so many ways.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I wouldn't necessarily say it's the worst, but the Capitals had some pretty bad ones with their late 90s/pre-Edge set

14296.jpg

jersey.jpg

12959.jpg

I actually disagree. I actually liked these and am still kicking myself for not getting one when I had the best chance to. Saw one of these at a thrift shop for $25.

I've always hated the Halloween SpooooOOOOoookyy font of the timberwolves.

js-mt.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

eyoseph_efseaff_sm_zps20ee8dec.jpg

expos1969.jpg

Those two aren't really close though. UCLA's are a modified version of Clarendon. In their history, they've used a couple different versions of that set. Ohio State, Marquette football, and Nebraska, among others no doubt, have used an iteration of those numbers.

Nebraska's 60s uniforms are an excellent example of these numbers:

team_left_final.jpg

The Expos numbers, as far as I know, has only ever been used by the Expos on a national level (pro, NCAA, etc.).

exposnumbers.png

You're right, they are not the same.

Oakland A's wore those fine numbers, somewhere in the 70's.

Never really liked the Charlotte Hornets' numbers. They just don't really belong on a basketball uniform, IMO.

102912-1350795824.JPG

Also, Tampa Bay Buccaneers' practice jersey font:

2785520704_ca9ff3802c_z.jpg

Jacksonville Jaguars 1997 preseason-only font was pretty bad:

0d3af1ad-6dd4-4e33-be7c-effef872e8b2.jpg

Original Baltimore Ravens number font was wayyyy too big, looks like an XFL team.

p-67631-earnest-byner-autographed-hand-signed-baltimore-ravens-8x10-photo-tsc-auto810ebbr.jpg

1997-only 49ers number font was also way too big:

we940.jpg

deion-sanders-hall-of-fame-3.jpg

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I would assume it changed with the move to Rev30. And yes, the 6 is just as bad:

KGp6DaT.png

For all the hate that the Rbk Edge system (rightfully) gets on here, I'm surprised at the relative lack of criticism for the Rev30 system, because it's ruined NBA aesthetics in so many ways.

Jesus Christ, how does that clear quality control? That looms like a bad counterfeit.

I think the Edge system gets more bashing because 1) this board slants more toward hockey and 2) many more teams used the Edge overhaul as an excuse to redesign their uniforms, and did so rather poorly. Most NBA teams just adapted their existing design to Rev30.

And yes, Rev30 is every bit the pile of marketing-jargon garbage the Edge system was. Adidas/Reebok really leads the pack in awful uniform ideas and lazy execution. The fact that you can't put a number on a white jersey without giving it a thick white twill outline is stupefying.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1997-only 49ers number font was also way too big:

222455-sep-1996-running-back-dexter-carter-of-the-san-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=OCUJ5gVf7YdJQI2Xhkc2QHlEva%2FnIhOvnR1uV9xvSjGvDk6t%2BA1cb8f2%2Bn4BQgWELwwRZ0JBNs9RMnxvnmLrMA%3D%3D

It might have been a little too big with the dropshadow, but that's one of my favorite fonts ever. It looked incredible on the Jaguars their first two years. I wouldn't like it if every team, or even 10 teams, wore it, but I think it's a great, classy way to have a variant font without coming up with an awful proprietary just because, or some extremely forced pseudo-block crap like the Vikings' previos set.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Though this ultimately is an opinion thread, I disagree with about 85% of whats been posted.

Sure some of the stuff isn't for everyone, but to throw some of these into the "worst number fonts" ever, I dunno.

yea, im seeing quite a few good fonts that have a bad treatment to them. if we're counting those then, OK. but i wouldnt say the Lightning below have a bad font, its a perfectly normal block, but what they did to it with the drop shadows and outlines kills the whole jersey

Lightning01.png

and with the Steelers, i really like those numbers but its rounded, smooth shapes and italic lean might not be appropriate for them particularly. (i dont quite agree with that, but that does seem to be the general consensus)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived