NFL Helmets for NES

keithisgood

I'm part of the community at tecmobowl.org, updating the classic NES game Tecmo Super Bowl each year (a la Madden). For this year's release we've decided to overhaul nearly all the team logos used throughout the game. I've put together an album here: http://imgur.com/a/sY3zJ#0

Obviously, NES hardware limitations restricted the logo designs, but I'd love to hear any opinions.

And for the curious, I believe the official Tecmo Super Bowl 2013 game should be released sometime in the preseason.

I think the highlights on the helmets should be consistent from helmet to helmet. I also think the black facemasks should have a bit less grey

Did you try using a browner color for the Bucs' helmet?

Sigs are for sissies.

Really cool work! I remember my brother playing this all the time.

I noticed the following needed to be adjusted:

Bills - wrong facemask

Dolphins - wrong facemask

Bengals - wrong facemask

Browns - wrong facemask

Ravens - wrong facemask and helmet stripe does not run the entire length of the helmet

Steelers - wrong facemask

Jaguars - wrong facemask and helmet should be 2-toned

Titans - wrong facemask and helmet stripe does not run the entire length of the helmet

Broncos - helmet stripe does not run the entire length of the helmet

Chargers - helmet logo should have all 3 colors

Eagles - wrong facemask and helmet color

Lions - wrong facemask

Vikings - wrong facemask

Bucs - wrong facemask

Saints - wrong facemask

Falcons - wrong facemask

Panthers - wrong facemask, helmet stripe does not run the entire length of the helmet, and wrong stripe colors

49ers - wrong facemask

The color pallete he has to work with is very limited so he wont be able to get all the colors exactly right. The helmet stripes that the Titans,Ravens,Panthers use will not be possible to create. The Jags helmet will be almost next to impossible to create with the limatations he has with how the game generates the helmets. Overall they are great considering what he has to do to change the helmet in the game. Ive been visiting the Tecmo Super Bowl website that he posted these on for a long time now and these are by far the best helmets I have seen created.

Bills - wrong facemask

Bengals - wrong facemask

Browns - wrong facemask

Ravens - wrong facemask and helmet stripe does not run the entire length of the helmet

Titans - wrong facemask and helmet stripe does not run the entire length of the helmet

Lions - wrong facemask

Vikings - wrong facemask

Bucs - wrong facemask

Saints - wrong facemask

Falcons - wrong facemask

Panthers - wrong facemask, helmet stripe does not run the entire length of the helmet, and wrong stripe colors

49ers - wrong facemask

Not all of these facemasks are wrong. The black facemasks sort of look grey with 8-bit graphics, but they're not.

Wow, thanks for the comments. Very cool feedback. I'll try to answer a few issues as best I can.

Remember, the Jags are using the gradient 2 tone helmet

Unfortunately NES Graphics limitations preclude the gradient helmet without major alterations to the graphics engine. Black with gold highlights is the best the ol' NES PPU can muster.

I think the highlights on the helmets should be consistent from helmet to helmet. I also think the black facemasks should have a bit less grey

Did you try using a browner color for the Bucs' helmet?

The highlights are tough to codify; there's different helmet templates (one with stripes, one without stripes and with highlights, one for the rams and one for the bengals). For teams that require specific striping on their helmet, adding highlights would require additional graphical assets which the game, unfortunately, can't provide.

As a tangent to that, some teams (Denver and Carolina come to mind) lose their unique helmet striping because the game has no way to accurately draw them.

And the NES can't do Bucs Brown. I tried it and it looked all kinds of funky.

As for facemasks, teams using colors are trickier due to the limited number of colors and how those colors are shared throughout the graphic. I'll take a closer look at the teams and make changes where I can.

Bills - wrong facemask

Bengals - wrong facemask

Browns - wrong facemask

Lions - wrong facemask

Vikings - wrong facemask

Bucs - wrong facemask

Saints - wrong facemask

Falcons - wrong facemask

49ers - wrong facemask

You have too much time on your hands.

They look great. Good job, keith!

Is this game going to be released as an emulator on PC? I loved Tecmo Bowl.

87Redskins.png

You have too much time on your hands.

They look great. Good job, keith!

Is this game going to be released as an emulator on PC? I loved Tecmo Bowl.

1) Yes I sometimes do have too much time. A good problem to have.

2) This year's tecmo super bowl will be released both as a stand alone rom for computer emulation and as a cartridge for playing on NES hardware.

2) This year's tecmo super bowl will be released both as a stand alone rom for computer emulation and as a cartridge for playing on NES hardware.

Where can I get this version for the NES? I know a lot of people that would love to have this.

It's hard to

Where can I get this version for the NES? I know a lot of people that would love to have this.

It's hard to pin down an exact date but the game file will be finished and released as a rom file before the season starts. Last year's game dropped September 3rd. A limited run of cartridges should then follow soon thereafter.

Best way to keep tabs is to simply visit tecmobowl.org once training camp starts. Any news on releases will be posted to the frontpage of the site.

For those who've asked, tecmobowl.org is already working on the physical carts of this year's game (which will include the new helmet work in this thread). There will be a very limited production run (last year was only 50 cartridges, I believe) and those who've signed up for the mailing list (http://tecmobowlers.us1.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=1804853752139c5725ad13082&id=8994cf00c8) will get first dibs over the general public.

Archived