Most hated SINGLE-season teams of all time (redux)

dbadefense1990

1. He didn't quit on the Jazz. He asked them to be released so he and his family could live in a city where his daughter could receive the medical treatment she needed to survive. If you consider that action to be one of a douchebag, then I'd hate to see what you consider good parenting.

He absolutely did quit on the Jazz. His exact words to them was “life for me outweighs the game of basketball." Apparently it didn't outweigh basketball enough for him to not sign with the Lakers shortly afterwards. The Jazz let him out of his contract with a good-faith understanding that he was just taking time off, and he proceeded to join a rival team that was better positioned to win rings as soon as he could (which, by the way, was on the other side of the country from where the doctors he chose were). He lied, period.

2. Maybe he didn't want to play for the Mavericks anymore and wanted to play for a contender. Doesn't make him a douche. The Mavericks didn't have to release him.

He specifically told his teammates on the Mavs that "this isn't a pit stop" for him and that he was in it for the long haul (which turned out to be a lie). The Mavs didn't have to release him, but unlike Fisher, they actually have class and honored his request, only to get backstabbed for it.

3. Let's not pretend here that the players didn't want Hunter out. And the fact that you quoted a Fox article (an organization that has literally made up bs stories and presented them as fact) only further proves your unwarranted hatred of Derek.

Yeah, okay. It's Fox Sports, not Fox News. And your opinion of Fox doesn't change the fact that he's blatantly used teams in order to keep his union job for another year.

Like it or not, you're just a Laker hater.

I don't like the Lakers, but I disliked Fisher on the Warriors, Jazz, Mavericks, and Thunder just as much.

Guarantee if Fisher played for the Clippers instead of the Lakers through out his whole career and made clutch plays in the postseason, you'd love him.

Nope. I cannot root for him and would not want him on my team under any circumstances.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is definitely biased, but: 2006 Carolina Hurricanes.

They barely made it into the playoffs, then rode Cam Ward into the cup final. They barely outplayed my favourite single season team of all time, the 2006 Oilers, and won the cup by one period and basically one faceoff. Also, I hate Rod Brind'Amour.

Barely made the playoffs??? WTF, they were the 2nd seed!!

He's right though. The '86 Mets were probably the most hated baseball team of that decade. Between the brawls, the Cooters incident, Eric Davis, drugs, music videos, and running roughshod over the rest of the NL that year, EVERYBODY hated them. Imagine if they had the web back then...

I'd highly recommend "The Bad Guys Won" by Jeff Pearlman about them... http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B000G740P8

You also forgot their ridiculously conceited slogan that year -- "Baseball like it oughta be." Does that mean everyone else was playing it wrong?

He's right though. The '86 Mets were probably the most hated baseball team of that decade. Between the brawls, the Cooters incident, Eric Davis, drugs, music videos, and running roughshod over the rest of the NL that year, EVERYBODY hated them. Imagine if they had the web back then...

I'd highly recommend "The Bad Guys Won" by Jeff Pearlman about them... http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B000G740P8

You also forgot their ridiculously conceited slogan that year -- "Baseball like it oughta be." Does that mean everyone else was playing it wrong?

Tell you what. You go out an play baseball on coke...then you'll get it.

That's basically how the media describes #SciosciaBall.

Any notions that deal with "doing it the right way" is a fouled up notion from the outset.

1. He didn't quit on the Jazz. He asked them to be released so he and his family could live in a city where his daughter could receive the medical treatment she needed to survive. If you consider that action to be one of a douchebag, then I'd hate to see what you consider good parenting.

He absolutely did quit on the Jazz. His exact words to them was “life for me outweighs the game of basketball." Apparently it didn't outweigh basketball enough for him to not sign with the Lakers shortly afterwards. The Jazz let him out of his contract with a good-faith understanding that he was just taking time off, and he proceeded to join a rival team that was better positioned to win rings as soon as he could (which, by the way, was on the other side of the country from where the doctors he chose were). He lied, period.

2. Maybe he didn't want to play for the Mavericks anymore and wanted to play for a contender. Doesn't make him a douche. The Mavericks didn't have to release him.

He specifically told his teammates on the Mavs that "this isn't a pit stop" for him and that he was in it for the long haul (which turned out to be a lie). The Mavs didn't have to release him, but unlike Fisher, they actually have class and honored his request, only to get backstabbed for it.

3. Let's not pretend here that the players didn't want Hunter out. And the fact that you quoted a Fox article (an organization that has literally made up bs stories and presented them as fact) only further proves your unwarranted hatred of Derek.

Yeah, okay. It's Fox Sports, not Fox News. And your opinion of Fox doesn't change the fact that he's blatantly used teams in order to keep his union job for another year.

Like it or not, you're just a Laker hater.

I don't like the Lakers, but I disliked Fisher on the Warriors, Jazz, Mavericks, and Thunder just as much.

Guarantee if Fisher played for the Clippers instead of the Lakers through out his whole career and made clutch plays in the postseason, you'd love him.

Nope. I cannot root for him and would not want him on my team under any circumstances.

Wow. You can be absolutely ridiculous sometimes. You share the opposite opinion of practically everyone that has ever met and played with Derek Fisher. You are literally the first person I have ever seen anywhere say something negative about him as a person. You act like he kicked your dog or something.

And go back and read articles about his leaving the Jazz/signing with the Lakers and you'll see that you're quite wrong. I'd post them for you to cut out the work but I'm in phone. Not that it would change your opinion on it because it seems clear you're irrationally blinded on this one.

There's a reason the only Laker jersey I own is a #2 FISHER jersey. He is one of the best people in the NBA.

To be fair, a lot of players (as well as coaches and GM's, both college and pro) say this, only to leave shortly after.

Not quite sure why you're crapping on Derek Fisher for wanting to play for a contender when, just 5 months ago, you were supporting Shawn Marion's stance of "I ain't going! I only wanna go play for a contender!" if he were traded to a bad team at the deadline. I'm not a huge basketball fan, but I believe both Fisher and Marion are well-respected veterans.

I guess it's ok if a player could have benefited your team, but not alright if a player succeeds (or succeeded) with a team you hate.

Like Kramerica said.....you can't have it both ways.

With regards to Fisher, while I suspect he is more of a sheep than Billy Hunter, I don't think he acquitted himself well during the last lockout and wasn't really operating in the best interests of the NBA players. And that does need to be a consideration.

The Cardinals used this as a slogan ten years after the Mets did.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/1996/01/22/Franchises/$BASEBALL-LIKE-IT-OUGHTA-BE-CARDINALS-LAUNCH-AD-CAMPAIGN.aspx

Unfortunately though, the "rivalry" was never the same after that October, it went from being intense and dramatic to well it's the Yankees and Red Sox they must hate each other, lets beat it till it's dead. Sad really, the early 2000's Yankees and Sox teams were perfect for each other.

It doesn't help that, like, 90% of the time the Yankees and Red Sox face these days, it's a weekend series, automatically meaning FOX and ESPN cover the final two games. Especially on ESPN's end, the amount of hype they give those series is absolutely nauseating.

But, yeah, the time period between roughly 1999-2004 was a golden age of Yankees/Red Sox baseball, and both sides ultimately benefited.

In my mind a lot of it had to do with the Red Sox finally beating the Yankees.The animosity that built up through the years was the fact that they could never get by them, and it intensified each year. Once they were beaten it felt like we were on the same level as you guys. Now championship wise of course it's not even close, but the Yanks were no longer this unbeatable caravan of a-holes. They were just another team. I think now the rivalry is a moot point, yeah we're supposed to loath each other, but now it's just a side show. I don't hate the Yankees, in fact I love their history. I do root against them of course, but not like before that October. Not to mention the mere fact of getting by the Yankees made the World Series that year a snooze fest. You knew the Red Sox would win, not even Jesus and the best 9 disciples he put on the diamond could get by them. Unfortunete in a way, that the 86 year drought ended so anti-climatically. I mean, squibber to Foulke, stabs at it, throws to Mientkiewicz. World Champs. DOUG MIENTKIEWICZ! Wow.

The personalities on those two teams was top shelf. It was so easy to hate either team depending on your loyalty.

Back on topic. Outside of the 2003-2004 Yankees, most hated teams of recent memory would easily be: 2011 Vancouver Canucks, 2013 Pittsburgh Penguins, and the 2012 Boston Red Sox.

The Cardinals used this as a slogan ten years after the Mets did.

http://www.sportsbus...D-CAMPAIGN.aspx

That is equally conceited . . . and pretty stupid for copying the slogan.

Well nobody from the "everyone else" pool won the World Series that year, so I guess they were playing it wrong...

They barely made it into the playoffs, then rode Cam Ward into the cup final. They barely outplayed my favourite single season team of all time, the 2006 Oilers, and won the cup by one period and basically one faceoff. Also, I hate Rod Brind'Amour.

I posted that on my memory. I was 6 during the Pronger-Oilers year.

I posted that on my memory. I was 6 during the Pronger-Oilers year.

Its official...I'm old.

Archived