Does Winning Make Uniforms Look Better?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.

crosbycup2009.jpg

I don't know what your talking about as these uniforms are great...probably my favorite throughout their history.

I wouldn't say they're great, but they're not as bad as most people on here make them out to be.

Late to the topic, but here's my take. Winning makes a uniform more identifiable with the 'brand' of the team and as such better. Take the Patriots. I grew up watching the Pats lose in red. That was the Patriots to me. They change to blue and win. They've played on Superbowl in red, and lost badly, but won three in blue, so the blue gets recognised with the team more readily than the red.

Countless soccer teams have won trophies in away colours that then become traditional. Manchester City's connection with red and black stripes and maroon are two examples here.

It's not that the uniform is quantifiably 'better', it's that the uniform then becomes more identifiable with the brand and therefore a better representation in people's minds of the franchise. Remember the first key of a uniform's success is to look at it and be able to identify the team from it straight away.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

No.

crosbycup2009.jpg

I don't know what your talking about as these uniforms are great...probably my favorite throughout their history.

I wouldn't say they're great, but they're not as bad as most people on here make them out to be.

I hate the side panels. I hate the randomness of the color shifts... just big blocks of gold and black. Mostly, though, I hate the gold itself. They went from a vibrant yellow-gold (one that's good enough for every other team in the city) to that washed out, wimpy, biege-gold. Hate hate hate.

No.

I hate the side panels. I hate the randomness of the color shifts... just big blocks of gold and black. Mostly, though, I hate the gold itself. They went from a vibrant yellow-gold (one that's good enough for every other team in the city) to that washed out, wimpy, biege-gold. Hate hate hate.

The Penguins current jerseys are the worst of the Edge class to lift the cup by a country mile... The template is clearly a leftover from Reebok's ill concieved plans to have their jerseys tucked in. The side panels box in the numbers and logo while exacerbating the scooped hemline. Vegas gold was fine on the pre-edge set when it was used in metallic fabrics but here it looks khaki. Terrible design all round.

For many people yes. Even having a superstar wear a particular jersey will have some people like the jersey more. Winning may also make the very casual fan of the sport more aware and used to the look of a particular jersey, and possibly more prone to like it.

In my opinion, the jerseys that the Kings wore winning the Stanley were dull and the crest with the big LA on in looks amatuerish, the Gretzky-era Kings jersey are marginally better looking. Their original 1967-68 purple and gold jerseys are much, much better than either of these two.

If the Sabres had won a cup in their 'Buffaslug' or 'Goatshead' jersey it wouldn't have endeared the jerseys to me.

Certains jerseys I haven't liked a lot at when they first came out but have grown to like them a little more with time, others I like a bit for a while but the novelty wears off, and others were lousy looking when they first came out and will continue to be that way forever for me.

I like some jerseys that I think are simple and classic that others may think are dull and boring, and some that are vibrant and different that most think are tacky and ugly. I like to think that winning has very little to no influencence on my opinions on a jersey.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

I know one thing, a few tweaks here and there, and had the Brewers not completely sucked at any point from 97-99, they might still be wearing these (aesthetically speaking, the best the Brewers ever looked)

72453025_display_image.jpg?1314801107#72499595_display_image.jpg?1315920896#

Because the teams that wore this were crap though, I know one thing, if one walked around Milwaukee, or southeast Wisconsin on a given summer day, you MIGHT see this cap if you're lucky, though the Motre Bame cap that preceded it is more likely. You have a better chance of running into vacationing Hawaiians than any of the Germanic jerseys (which begs the question: where do Hawaiians go for vacations?).

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I know one thing, a few tweaks here and there, and had the Brewers not completely sucked at any point from 97-99, they might still be wearing these (aesthetically speaking, the best the Brewers ever looked)

Because the teams that wore this were crap though, I know one thing, if one walked around Milwaukee, or southeast Wisconsin on a given summer day, you MIGHT see this cap if you're lucky, though the Motre Bame cap that preceded it is more likely. You have a better chance of running into vacationing Hawaiians than any of the Germanic jerseys (which begs the question: where do Hawaiians go for vacations?).

No I'm pretty sure the reason you wouldn't see anyone wear this set is because it is the worst set the crew has ever worn. Easily. The only 4 people I know who think that that 90's set was good are people on here. I'd say without a doubt 95% of brewer fans would think this is the worst they've looked, and it doesn't have anything to do with our play sucked, because we always suck. It's because the uniform sucks.

No I'm pretty sure the reason you wouldn't see anyone wear this set is because it is the worst set the crew has ever worn. Easily. The only 4 people I know who think that that 90's set was good are people on here. I'd say without a doubt 95% of brewer fans would think this is the worst they've looked, and it doesn't have anything to do with our play sucked, because we always suck. It's because the uniform sucks.

I for one think those uniforms are absolutely gorgeous. The use of the colors make the uniform look that much better. The white outline on the current brewers uniform makes them look terrible

StLouisCardinals.png

CowboysClassic_zpsb3d9923d.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

The real test is by looking at the past. What uniforms do we consider to be iconic? Timeless? Classic?

More often than not its team's that were dynasty's. The uniforms associated with teams that dominated their sport become classics because of the imagery/associations with their team.

Or were merely successful compared to their usual level of (in)competence. Case in point: Ball in glove.

Packers-2.png

The difference between this and what they wear today is (1) script and (2) Times numerals instead of Germanish font. Same colors. And I'm not sure this was an improvement over the royal-blue and yellowgold from the ball-in-glove days. Approximately two-thirds of teams use this exact shade of navy.

Packers-2.png

The real test is by looking at the past. What uniforms do we consider to be iconic? Timeless? Classic?

More often than not its team's that were dynasty's. The uniforms associated with teams that dominated their sport become classics because of the imagery/associations with their team.

Which is EXACTLY why the Oilers and Islanders are decked out in gaudy 80s unis. They look terrible, but OH MY GOD DYNASTY GLORY DAYS GRETZKY POTVIN MESSIER!!!111!

Well the fact that they look better too adds to it ;)

And no, that's not the legacy of those looks clouding my judgement. Neither team has managed to improve their looks since they departed from their classic aesthetic the first time. The Oilers just jumped on the 90s bandwagon of darkening their colours, and the Islanders eventually got to that bland point too, after a quick stop in the land of the absurd. Defend the fisherman all you want, that look was partly killed by its own over the top nature. The wavy stripes and numbers made a look that was ready a departure ugly to boot.

So if the choices for the Oilers and Islanders are 80s throwbacks or drab 90s garbage and over the top 90s nonsense then I'll take the 80s looks any day of the week. That both teams won in those looks just makes getting to the right decision easier.

I'll never understand how the Isles/Oilers jerseys are "gaudy". Royal blue and orange is a gorgeous colour scheme and I seriously think said people need their eyes checked. Sure, the history behind them certainly helps their case, but those are good looks, dynasties or not.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Which is EXACTLY why the Oilers and Islanders are decked out in gaudy 80s unis. They look terrible

Apart from the Islanders wearing the wrong blue jersey and needing to get rid of that awful black third, there's nothing either team needs to change.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I think they can change the perception...why else when a team rebuilds they sometimes change the uniforms to signal a new era.

I remember when the Jets changed to the fauxbacks in 1998 and then started doing good it made people quickly forget the 80s/90s uniforms. The Jets still have not thrown back to the 80s/90s green unis because I am sure it still reminds people of the Kotite years.

70389454.png

I for one think those uniforms are absolutely gorgeous. The use of the colors make the uniform look that much better. The white outline on the current brewers uniform makes them look terrible

I personally think the Ball-In-Glove, the Germanic set, and the current MIller duds are all equally nice.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I don't think winning makes the uniform set "better" per say, I think it helps the team's identity perception as the uniforms would trigger a more memorable era where the team was winning. As stated before, The New England Patriots uniform without the tradition, mystique, and nostalgia is a mess IMHO. But because they had their dynasty era with those uniforms, they are perceived as a prestigious organization. The Logo and Uniform together create a symbol that represents that winning era.

Take the Arizona Diamondbacks for instances: they won the World Series back in 2001 with their purple, teal, and black jerseys. When you think of those jerseys, you think about how Gonzo hit a blooper single over Rivera's head to win the World Series. But after their horrible 2004 season, the owners change, and steroid scandal, they decided to leave those jerseys and color scheme in the past and move forward towards a new era. Why? Because the uniform no longer represents the organization in class and prestige. The Brick Red, Sand, and Black color change and new uniforms represented a fresh start for their organization.

Now other teams don't necessarily follow what the Diamondbacks did, but this is what I firmly believe.

Archived