Does Winning Make Uniforms Look Better?

I don't think winning makes the uniform set "better" per say, I think it helps the team's identity perception as the uniforms would trigger a more memorable era where the team was winning. As stated before, The New England Patriots uniform without the tradition, mystique, and nostalgia is a mess IMHO. But because they had their dynasty era with those uniforms, they are perceived as a prestigious organization. The Logo and Uniform together create a symbol that represents that winning era.

Take the Arizona Diamondbacks for instances: they won the World Series back in 2001 with their purple, teal, and black jerseys. When you think of those jerseys, you think about how Gonzo hit a blooper single over Rivera's head to win the World Series. But after their horrible 2004 season, the owners change, and steroid scandal, they decided to leave those jerseys and color scheme in the past and move forward towards a new era. Why? Because the uniform no longer represents the organization in class and prestige. The Brick Red, Sand, and Black color change and new uniforms represented a fresh start for their organization.

Now other teams don't necessarily follow what the Diamondbacks did, but this is what I firmly believe.

Merchandise sales could have also been in decline so instead of improving the team why not completely change the color scheme and uniforms?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know one thing, a few tweaks here and there, and had the Brewers not completely sucked at any point from 97-99, they might still be wearing these (aesthetically speaking, the best the Brewers ever looked)

Because the teams that wore this were crap though, I know one thing, if one walked around Milwaukee, or southeast Wisconsin on a given summer day, you MIGHT see this cap if you're lucky, though the Motre Bame cap that preceded it is more likely. You have a better chance of running into vacationing Hawaiians than any of the Germanic jerseys (which begs the question: where do Hawaiians go for vacations?).

No I'm pretty sure the reason you wouldn't see anyone wear this set is because it is the worst set the crew has ever worn. Easily. The only 4 people I know who think that that 90's set was good are people on here. I'd say without a doubt 95% of brewer fans would think this is the worst they've looked, and it doesn't have anything to do with our play sucked, because we always suck. It's because the uniform sucks.

I'd argue that you would not see anyone wearing it because it's been a long time since they wore it. 99.9% of the BiG stuff you'll see was produced within the last couple of years, not when it was prevalent.

I agree that this is not a particularly well-remembered set among Brewer fans...but that may lend to Discrim's point...they stunk in this set. Their glory years are in the BiG (and to a lesser extent in the current garbage). There is no real reason to believe that fans would clamor for this stuff. That they lost did not make the uniforms (literally) "look worse", but they may certainly alter the fondness (or prevalence) of the memories fans have.

The current use of the BiG merchandise is reflective of a market demand for it, but does that really mean the fans consciously think the above is "the worst they've ever looked" or is it just that it's the least memorable time (late in County Stadium, no winning, no glory days, no Braun/Fielder/Hart, no Yount/Molitor)

So do the fans think they are ugly or do they just pretty much forget these uniforms? I don't know.

I happen to think that once that dropped the Motre Bame cap, these were great uniforms. The "M" hat is simple but lacking the flaws of the others (the stupid wheat underline and the generic-ness of a 4-fingered glove for which many did not recognize the "mb"). The uniforms were pretty classic baseball uniforms and the only beef I had was with the number font..but they've made that much worse now anyway.

I'll add that I think Miller Park is the only place I go where throwback-inspired gear is more prevalent than current primary gear. It makes me wonder whether the Crew is going to pull an Astros or Blue Jays and go back. As Discrim mentions, there is no way they are going back to the 1990s, so I hope they go back to the 80s (cuz I really hate their current look).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

^That sounds a lot like the Blue Jays from a few years ago. '80/'90s gear ruled supreme among fans due in part to the connection with the team's glory days and the fact that they were brought back as throwbacks. The 1997-2002 set, which I loved, is rarely seen because, much like the Germanic set, not much happened it it. Other than Carlos Delgado's prime and the Rocket's short-lived stint, there's nothing worth remembering. Sure, team greats such as Tony Fernandez, Cito Gaston, Dave Stieb, and Roy Halladay wore it briefly, but they all made their marks in either the beloved previous look or the crappy then-current look. As a result, despite how good it looked, it's often forgotten in the minds if fans. However, the caps, specifically the 1997-02 red-brimmed alternate and anything "T-Bird", have made a rebound in popularity recently.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived