New Orleans University New Logos

GriffinM6

Primary made into a Fleur-De-Lis seems a bit forced

How so?

Because I dont understand what exactly the white/grey hooks coming out of the side of the face are. Are they supposed to be part of his coat?

Upgrade!!! Great job Joe B! Sorry, I shouldn't forget Frasier, great work!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

None of this new logo stuff matters anyway. UNO is primarily a commuter school with little sense of school spirit amongst students, and though the metro area is full of UNO grads, there is little alumni support for athletic events and even less alumni attendance at games.

It is what it is.

"New-O" isn't meant to be a new nickname for the city, it's meant to be a way to specifically reference the school in a market full of other New Orleans-branded sports teams and institutions... much in the same way that the University of Pittsburgh refers to itself as "Pitt."

None of this new logo stuff matters anyway. UNO is primarily a commuter school with little sense of school spirit amongst students, and though the metro area is full of UNO grads, there is little alumni support for athletic events and even less alumni attendance at games.

Didn't the Privateers have a fairly sizeable following back in their heyday in the late 80s?

The NO is nice, but just not strong enough alone. But the other logos are beautiful. And the custom type looks sharp.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

How so?

Because I dont understand what exactly the white/grey hooks coming out of the side of the face are. Are they supposed to be part of his coat?

Why first thought was it was his peacoat's collars. So it doesn't looked forced at all, rather well placed.

Like I said in the other thread, while I wish not every New Orleans team would go the FDL route, this one is a unique enough take that I'll let it slide. Wordmark is an obvious upgrade over what they had, and the main logo looks good. Wish they would've kept that dash of red the old look had.

I'm sure it's obnoxiously overdone for people that live in that region, but I love seeing how organizations incorporate it. I love this:

Honestly, I don't know anyone around here that doesn't like seeing use of fleus de lis imagery used for sports teams. You see them everywhere all over southern Louisiana. People have really taken to using the fleur de lis as a symbol of the region since Hurricane Katrina - not that it was never used prior to the storm, but I've noticed an explosion of fleur de lis merchandise in pretty much every aspect I can think.

gYH2mW9.png

How so?

Why first thought was it was his peacoat's collars. So it doesn't looked forced at all, rather well placed.

That's exactly how I see it.

gYH2mW9.png

Thanks everyone for your interest in the new UNO identity. It was a great project, for a great client in one of the world's greatest cities. If anyone has any specific questions about the project, feel free to post them up, I'm always happy talk shop.

Thanks everyone for your interest in the new UNO identity. It was a great project, for a great client in one of the world's greatest cities. If anyone has any specific questions about the project, feel free to post them up, I'm always happy talk shop.

did the school approach you with a concept in mind, or did you present a few ideas to them?

also, what was Fraser's part in this? dont think i saw it mentioned specifically

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Brandon, There was lot's of client input in the early stages of the project and the final direction was largely informed by that. Collectively, we considered a number of initial directions, but the bold nature of the Privateer ultimately carried the day.

We do work with outside designers from time to time, specifically when their particular skill set compliments the strategy. I'm a big Fraser fan and he and I collaborated in the early stages of the project, through client input and my own neurosis, it evolved quite a bit from there.

We always have extensive conversations with any client before putting pencil to paper, it's one of many steps in our process. There were several concerns regarding the old logo, not the least of which was how it worked in application and it's lack of flexibility.

We always have extensive conversations with any client before putting pencil to paper, it's one of many steps in our process. There were several concerns regarding the old logo, not the least of which was how it worked in application and it's lack of flexibility.

one more for you Joe. the new pirate still has that iconic pirate look that we all recognize, and resembles the old logo well (facial hair, tricorn hat). but there's no eye patch now. was that detail ever discussed or included in earlier concepts? any good reason for not including it?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

one more for you Joe. the new pirate still has that iconic pirate look that we all recognize, and resembles the old logo well (facial hair, tricorn hat). but there's no eye patch now. was that detail ever discussed or included in earlier concepts? any good reason for not including it?

The eye patch was actually something that did come up early in the process. The client wanted any pirate exploration to have more a Jean Lafitte, privateer feel as opposed to a typical pirate - eating, eye-patch etc.

Joe, any particular reason UNO dropped red as part of their color scheme?

Red was never an official color for UNO and never showed up outside of retail applications. Our goal from the onset was to simplify the palette and return the privateers to their blue and silver roots. We did add navy blue to build some depth within the marks and provide a more predictable ground color for retail applications.

Joe, any particular reason UNO dropped red as part of their color scheme?

I was wondering this myself.

Also, Joe could you be so kind as to explain what you mean when you say the old logo lacked flexibility?

The old logo was rather on dimensional in that it lacked secondary and supporting elements. By creating a suite of closely related marks, we added a great deal of flexibility to the how the system gets applied.

Archived