Best football helmet decal designs?

HOOVER

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Seahawks jumped from pretty high on my list to the top when they corrected a 36 year wrong.

New-Seahawks-Helmet-2.jpg

of course the rest of the helmet is ruined with the goofy thing on the front and the half-matte finish, but this thread is about best decals.

Graphically, connecting the hawk heads works better, no question. But now, instead of depicting a bird head from a totem pole, the Seahawks appear to have a two-headed worm thing splattered on the back of their helmet.

OR we're now looking at the back of the totem pole. Totem poles don't have random 1" gaps on the back between the two sides of the bird head. The way they have it now is more correct.

It was always implied that the two were supposed to meet otherwise what was the point of wrapping all the way around to the back of the helmet? The change was one of the few correct choices the Seahawks made in their recent redesign.

It works better for the way helmets are constructed now. But when the logo first appeared in the 70's almost all football helmets had a one inch wide ridge running down the center. Most helmet stripes were/are designed around that feature... I don't think we'd have the stripes on the Colts, Steelers, Raiders, or even the Packers if helmets traditionally didn't have that ridge. The first Seahawk helmets had logos that dead-ended against that ridge in the back... that's why the gap was there, and IMO it looked good and made sense, then. Now, however, that gap is just a relic (most players today probably have never worn a helmet with that ridge) so having the logo meet in the back makes sense.

I know why the Seahawks had the gap between the bird decals, but I never bought it as an excuse. Lay the decal on top of the "ridge" or how about a third decal to make the connection? I'm a fan of the original Riddell design and I hate to see it fade from football, but I disagree that the gap on the Hawks helmets looked better on the old domes.

It was clearly designed with the intention that the bird heads were supposed to meet up in the back. It looked especially bad on the schutts and riddell revolutions and any other helmet that didn't have the Ridell ridge because there was more guesswork required of the equipment managers.

So the new decals took out the guesswork and I'm so glad they fixed it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Seahawks jumped from pretty high on my list to the top when they corrected a 36 year wrong.

New-Seahawks-Helmet-2.jpg

of course the rest of the helmet is ruined with the goofy thing on the front and the half-matte finish, but this thread is about best decals.

Graphically, connecting the hawk heads works better, no question. But now, instead of depicting a bird head from a totem pole, the Seahawks appear to have a two-headed worm thing splattered on the back of their helmet.

OR we're now looking at the back of the totem pole. Totem poles don't have random 1" gaps on the back between the two sides of the bird head. The way they have it now is more correct.

It was always implied that the two were supposed to meet otherwise what was the point of wrapping all the way around to the back of the helmet? The change was one of the few correct choices the Seahawks made in their recent redesign.

It works better for the way helmets are constructed now. But when the logo first appeared in the 70's almost all football helmets had a one inch wide ridge running down the center. Most helmet stripes were/are designed around that feature... I don't think we'd have the stripes on the Colts, Steelers, Raiders, or even the Packers if helmets traditionally didn't have that ridge. The first Seahawk helmets had logos that dead-ended against that ridge in the back... that's why the gap was there, and IMO it looked good and made sense, then. Now, however, that gap is just a relic (most players today probably have never worn a helmet with that ridge) so having the logo meet in the back makes sense.

I know why the Seahawks had the gap between the bird decals, but I never bought it as an excuse. Lay the decal on top of the "ridge" or how about a third decal to make the connection? I'm a fan of the original Riddell design and I hate to see it fade from football, but I disagree that the gap on the Hawks helmets looked better on the old domes.

It was clearly designed with the intention that the bird heads were supposed to meet up in the back. It looked especially bad on the schutts and riddell revolutions and any other helmet that didn't have the Ridell ridge because there was more guesswork required of the equipment managers.

So the new decals took out the guesswork and I'm so glad they fixed it.

Why can't it meet on the back without curving? Wouldn't it be better if it met with a straight line?

Here's more of my favorite decals that haven't been mentioned by others yet

mark-brunell-is-bankrupt-with-over-25-million-in-debts.jpg

I've always liked the size of the logo, how there's no outline so the decal uses the black background to its advantage, and how it fits in that space so well. It was just really sharp. I miss them.

XFLBIR.jpg

steve-nesius-texans-buccaneers-football-tampa-fl-a-tampa-bay-buccaneers-helmet.jpg

houston-oilers-authentic-pro-line-throwback-full-size-helmet-3350236.jpg

jim-kelly.jpg

313-hq32WhL.jpg

and any Chargers helmet. I like big decals that use a lot of the helmet.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I know this is probably not the best place to post this but has anyone had a custom decal made? I'm working on a custom mini helmet and I just need a few decals/stripes made. All I'm finding is companies who require bulk orders(understandably)

Archived