2013 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos

canzman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we are all, of course, untitled to our opinion, and I do appreciate you getting through your post without referring to anyone who disagrees with you as a dork, for once :D . But feel like I need to challenge at least a couple of your points.

For one thing, you know as well as I do that when a "squirming traditionalist" complains about a monochrome uniform, they are not talking about all-white. Technically, yes, matching white jerseys and pants is just as much a "monochrome" look as black on black, but since the all-white has been a part of the traditional NFL aesthetic for half a century, it doesn't have that same buck-the-convention effect. Tell you what... I'll consider the white on white uniform to be in the same league with a color monochrome the next time we see a post on here from a modern uniform lover saying "Awesome!! The Colts are going monochrome on the road this week! Gonna be sick!!"

And secondly, its pretty disingenuous to claim that teams who don't have a monochrome option "don't count" because they can't go monochrome. It seems obvious the San Fran, Oakland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc., could just as easily order up a second pair of pants as any other team. The simple truth is, those teams don't do a monochrome look because they choose not to. So, they DO count, in my book.

As for the whole "unprofessional" thing... I don't think, personally, that's the term I'd use. I just think monochrome football uniforms don't fit the NFL's established aesthetic. What I've said before is that I see it like the cartoon mascots that show up on minor league baseball and hockey uniforms. It's fine for that level, but I don't want to see the Seattle Mariners wear a grinning cartoon ship's captain on their jerseys. Different leagues have different visual standards, and I'm aware those standards can change... its just that some changes don't appeal to me. I like unconventional color choices, for instance. (In fact, I feel like every sport could use more imagination in color schemes.) I like some of the boundaries being pushed in terms of graphics... the Seahawks' chest/shoulder applications are unique and interesting. But my personal preference will always be for a contrast of colors between the jersey and pants, with the socks matching the jersey. That still says "NFL" to me.

Those are all fair points. We can all have our opinions on what looks good and what doesn't.

I and others just get tired of hearing from some folks that ALL monochrome football uniforms look bad and that they are somehow "not professional" if they dare to wear something besides the tired-and-true dark tops/light bottoms look. Its a different world today and the NFL is just catching up with the rest of football. Mixing and matching is a great thing, IMO. I (and many others as well) hate seeing the Cowboys look exactly the same every week/every year. Although they really don't have much of an option when you only have one pant option and wear white at home each week.

Plus with most of these teams we are talking about 1 or 2 games a year. Nothing is going to be hurt by seeing the Chiefs in all red twice a year or the Eagles in all green twice a year. Just a nice changeup for the team and their fans during a long season.

I also would like to see the Seahawks wear something different once-in-a-while instead of all navy for every home game. Would it kill anyone to see the Hawks wearing the Navy jerseys and white pants once a year? Or the wolf grey jerseys with the navy pants for one road game a year? I don't think so. Its still the Seahawks.

I don't count the Steelers or 49ers because they don't have a dark pants option in their uni set. Could the Steelers add black pants to their set? Sure. Then they'd have the option to wear black jerseys and black pants. But because they don't own black pants or the Niners who don't own deep red (or however they describe their red) pants, then they don't count for me. Just like I can't count the Rams anymore as a team that has vegas gold pants because they likely don't exist anymore (although I'd guess they might still exist somewhere deep in the bowels of Rams Park; since they are likely still part of the style guide or because they were used in recent years).

The odd one to me of the teams still yet to go "monochrome" or "dark tops/dark bottoms" this year (or in reality in the past few years) is Philly. They have lost 10 straight games at home. You'd think at some point, they trot out the green jerseys/green pants just to see if they can break the embarrassing streak. Maybe when the black jerseys return against Washington in a few weeks, that the green pants are paired with it. Maybe Chip Kelly has forgotten where he came from? You don't have to dress the same way Andy Reid did both on the field and on the sidelines (Chip wears all black just like Reid did too).

The Titans are gonna wear a patch to commemorate Bud Adams for the remainder of the season

bud1.jpg?w=211

So there's this patch on the right side, the 15th anniversary patch on the left side... where will the captaincy patch go?

Just from a design perspective, I think this patch is missing the mark. The Titans logo just seems tacked on. I feel like they should have gone with the oil derrick (for Houston, Tennessee, or both) or an AFC/AFL logo, or just centered BUD and left it alone. Perhaps gone with a 60 or a 1960 for the Oilers' founding year.

As it is, it's a Titans logo on a Titans jersey below a Titans logo helmet....all to honor a man who founded this team over 50 years ago as the Oilers, but that only spent 15 years with that new logo. As a fan of the franchise since the move to Memphis...I'm a little disappointed. Granted, I don't think we've had a patch worth writing home about since the original derrick-on-flag patch, but that's a whole new complaint.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

The Titans are gonna wear a patch to commemorate Bud Adams for the remainder of the season

bud1.jpg?w=211

So there's this patch on the right side, the 15th anniversary patch on the left side... where will the captaincy patch go?

1. Just from a design perspective, I think this patch is missing the mark. The Titans logo just seems tacked on.

2. ...Granted, I don't think we've had a patch worth writing home about since the original derrick-on-flag patch, but that's a whole new complaint.

1. I agree. I would've preferred it if it just said "BUD" in black, just like the Ravens did with their Art Modell patch last season

2. I think their current 15-anniversary is fantastic, actually. Definitely the best of the four they had fans vote on

fgbsLiq.png

Hopefully it won't end up looking like this

yahoo_andrejohnsonp5.jpg

That's exactly what it's gonna look like.

How is that bad?

It looks cluttered to me. I understand that the Hall of Fame patch was simply thrown on there since it was a one-week thing, but it just looks bad having three patches like that on the front of a jersey.

Side note: why is his captaincy patch gold instead of white?

bud1.jpg?w=211

Just from a design perspective, I think this patch is missing the mark. The Titans logo just seems tacked on. I feel like they should have gone with the oil derrick (for Houston, Tennessee, or both) or an AFC/AFL logo, or just centered BUD and left it alone. Perhaps gone with a 60 or a 1960 for the Oilers' founding year.

As it is, it's a Titans logo on a Titans jersey below a Titans logo helmet....all to honor a man who founded this team over 50 years ago as the Oilers, but that only spent 15 years with that new logo. As a fan of the franchise since the move to Memphis...I'm a little disappointed. Granted, I don't think we've had a patch worth writing home about since the original derrick-on-flag patch, but that's a whole new complaint.

Two middle fingers would have worked if you wanted to be a little more iconic a la the Landry memorial.

bud1.jpg?w=211

1. Just from a design perspective, I think this patch is missing the mark. The Titans logo just seems tacked on.

2. ...Granted, I don't think we've had a patch worth writing home about since the original derrick-on-flag patch, but that's a whole new complaint.

1. I agree. I would've preferred it if it just said "BUD" in black, just like the Ravens did with their Art Modell patch last season

2. I think their current 15-anniversary is fantastic, actually. Definitely the best of the four they had fans vote on

fgbsLiq.png

Hopefully it won't end up looking like this

yahoo_andrejohnsonp5.jpg

How is that bad?

It looks cluttered to me. I understand that the Hall of Fame patch was simply thrown on there since it was a one-week thing, but it just looks bad having three patches like that on the front of a jersey.

Side note: why is his captaincy patch gold instead of white?

hes been a captain for more than 4 years

StLouisCardinals.png

CowboysClassic_zpsb3d9923d.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

You're right. Just read this on their website:

The six team captains will keep wearing the captains patch as well, and it will be placed above the Adams tribute patch on the right side.

Ugh.

Awe f---. SMH

As much as I hate the white side panels on the Bengals jerseys, they actually salvage the look when they go black-over-black by breaking up all the black. In general, I'm not a fan of monochrome, but I actually like this look better for the Bengals than I do their black-over-white look. For comparison...

-40623075a1702ef1.JPG

VS

APTOPIX-Patriots-Bengals-Football.JPEG-0

The Bengals best look is one that is often disliked on the Bengals forums I visit -- the all white, especially with the orange socks...

20131020_jla_aw3_089.0_standard_400.0.jp

I know it goes against my normal persona on these boards as a grumpy-old-man type, but I think my favorite combination of the current Bengal options is the orange jersey over the black pants. Not to say I love it, by any means, I'd still rather see them dump everything from the neck down and start over, but as far as "modern" looks go, it's kind of appealing to me. It makes use of the side panel / white hip thing and has a nice color contrast between jersey and pants. If they wore it with orange socks instead of black, I'd go as far as saying its a better than OK look.

bud1.jpg?w=211

Straight to the rubbish bin, I hope. Soon to be joined by all its brethren.

Redskins wearing their throwbacks today. No pic of the helmet yet, but I would assume we'll be seeing their regular helmet.

ESPN 980 (@ESPNRadio980) tweeted at 8:46am - 3 Nov 13:

Robert Griffin ready for today with Throwback uniforms for #Redskins @ESPNRadio980 pic.twitter.com/FZlyOX4W7J (https://twitter.com/ESPNRadio980/status/396996837195796480)

90758391980.gif

Archived