2013 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos

canzman

Those Patriots 1993 uniforms have a special place in my heart because they are the first uniform I can remember people discussing. I was 6 years old and my dad said something like "They look like the Ohio Glory [the short-lived WLAF team]. These are not NFL uniforms. Old uniforms - NFL. These uniforms - not NFL"

What's funny is that those uniforms are so tame by today's standards. Since then he's come around and has a modern approach to his uniform opinions. He's loved every single Ohio State pro combat for example.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still shocked at all the love the Pats' uniforms get on here. The lack of attention to detail is glaring just from a cursory glance at the mismatched side panels and pants stripes. The shoulder loops are oddly-shaped and really wouldn't look that good by themselves. The number font was ripped off from Northwestern. That's right - Adidas was so lazy with the design process that they borrowed an element from a college team they outfitted at the time.

IMO, the Patriots got it right in 1993, no further changes were necessary. As for their current look? If it weren't for the Cowboys and Bengals, it'd be the ugliest set in the league.

the 1993 uniforms are far worse, the helmets having gray face masks, the oversized logos, 90's style font, and the sublimated stripes that only belong in soccer are far worse

The first "Flying Elvis" uniform from 1993 didn't have the soccer look.

1993_p10.jpg

Sam-Gash-1993-Upper-Deck-SP-165-Rookie-C

1993_p11.jpg

This was the best set they ever had once they moved to the "Flying Elvis" logo. That pants stripe is perfect. It needed a red face mask, but yeah it's great otherwise.

Even with all the problems the current Patriot set has, its miles ahead of either of the earlier "flying Elvis" versions. Both had dopey ideas (on the original you had that silly tricked up pants stripe and the non-matching TV numbers... on the later one you had the vertical fabric colors and that ridiculously huge shoulder logo you could see from space) that would make them unbelievably dated if they were still around today. All the current uniform needs IMO is a quick clean up of the admittedly cluttered jerseys.

The 1993-99 Flying Elvis beats the 2000-present set any day but I'd rather have them go back Pat the Patriot and still wish they played at Foxborro.

having gone to a game at foxborro, I'm going to tell you that that stadium needed to be tore down, between the aluminum bleachers that froze your ass off, the mud parking lot you had to trudge through and just that fact that most college stadiums were better than it, when compared to gillette that is still state of the art stadium it's no contest which is better.

the 1993 uniforms are far worse, the helmets having gray face masks, the oversized logos, 90's style font, and the sublimated stripes that only belong in soccer are far worse

That's not the uniform I'm referring to, this is:

jMqBDxC.png

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Gimmicky pants stripes and amateur hour mismatched tv numbers ruin it.

That's not the uniform I'm referring to, this is:

jMqBDxC.png

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Gimmicky pants stripes and amateur hour mismatched tv numbers ruin it.

Define gimmicky. Are only straight stripes non-gimmicky? The stripes match the logo, which I think brings nice cohesiveness. The numbers need fixing, but I like the pant stripes

Go A's!

Define gimmicky. Are only straight stripes non-gimmicky?

I honestly gave this some thought. I couldn't think of a single instance where non-straight pants stripes would not be considered gimmicky. To me they're no different from matte helmets. There isn't a single case where I've seen a matte helmet and thought "wow, I'm glad they went matte, looks so much better then it would in a standard finish." Same thing here with non-straight pants stripes.

The stripes match the logo, which I think brings nice cohesiveness.

They do match the logo, but I don't think that means they're automatically superior to a standard striping pattern.

I honestly gave this some thought. I couldn't think of a single instance where non-straight pants stripes would not be considered gimmicky. To me they're no different from matte helmets. There isn't a single case where I've seen a matte helmet and thought "wow, I'm glad they went matte, looks so much better then it would in a standard finish." Same thing here with non-straight pants stripes.

How about the Chargers' lightning bolt pants stripes? (Not the current mess, but the classics.) Maybe its still gimmicky, but a gimmick that works? Or the Arizona Wranglers' flames?

I do agree with you completely about that old Patriots stripe... I think its gimmicky because it feels so forced, to me. Like they had to try really hard to come up with a way to tie it in to the helmet logo.

How about the Chargers' lightning bolt pants stripes? (Not the current mess, but the classics.) Maybe its still gimmicky, but a gimmick that works? Or the Arizona Wranglers' flames?

I do agree with you completely about that old Patriots stripe... I think its gimmicky because it feels so forced, to me. Like they had to try really hard to come up with a way to tie it in to the helmet logo.

Great example. Call them gimmicky or whatever else you want, those were awesome (I like the Patriots' "gimmicky" stripes too). Anyone who denies that this...

4766538.jpg

...is far and away better than this...

USATSI_5362006.jpg

...well, I just don't know what to say to that other than to each their own.

On another note, check out the bad numbering job on Johnny U.'s helmet. That's way off.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The stripes match the logo, which I think brings nice cohesiveness.

They do match the logo, but I don't think that means they're automatically superior to a standard striping pattern.

Well, not match exactly, but it goes with the theme of the helmet logo. Either way, I think it's fine. It's not like the stripe design wraps around their thighs or anything. I'm ok with it. Not a fan, but I don't hate it

Go A's!

How about the Chargers' lightning bolt pants stripes? (Not the current mess, but the classics.) Maybe its still gimmicky, but a gimmick that works?

You know, I remembered the Chargers, but only the versions that placed the lightning bolts in the straight pants stripes. I had forgotten all about the stand-alone lightning bolt pants stripes.

So...ONE exception to the rule :P

Archived