Detroit in MLS?

dgthree

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen this game. They're saying private funds, but Detroit's going to be on the hook for the overruns and oh look at all those overruns.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Just keep in mind that the Apostolopoulos bought the Silverdome for $585K years ago, has done nothing to it, wants a five year property tax break and has yet to do anything but let the teflon roof tear apart in January only to claim, "renovations were under way".

They'd probably have to play in Ford Field with the city's bankruptcy and all,

Or they could build this stadium. It's not like they'll building it with taxpayer money, what? they're not! Oh, good. The new Red Wing Arena on the other hand is using taxpayer money, regardless of the bankruptcy they are still building it.

Except, the funds for the new Red Wings arena are not general taxpayer funds. They are "hotel/luxury bed" funds which can only be used for convention centers/other public similar uses. This comes up all the time with stadiums (huge debate about Marlins Field), but there are not many uses they can make with the funds. Also, the bankruptcy is an issue of future pension debt and not current market strength. While the city is not in good condition, the bankruptcy is a way to get off the hook for pension liabilities.

I doubt these guys even have enough money to clear the site.

The site is cleared, the issue is if the jail is scrapped can they use what is already there to build their buildings or will they need to take down what has been built. Even if they have to clear what has been built, it is not that significant.

12871894-large.jpg

I can think of about five cities that should get the MLS before Detroit.

Orlando

Miami

San Antonio

Atlanta

Glendale :upside:

The city is a wreck to be sure, but if you're talking about soccer interest levels, Michigan is one of the best states in the country for youth soccer. We have 2 of the top 12 youth clubs in the country (Michigan Wolves/Hawks and Vardar) and the recent NPSL team, Detroit City FC, has gained a cult following despite playing at a public high school in Detroit. Again, there's no money IN the city, but there's plenty enough in the suburbs to support an MLS team...of course it would be a much less risky investment 10 years or so down the road compared to jumping in right now.

Orlando

Miami

San Antonio

Atlanta

The city is a wreck to be sure, but if you're talking about soccer interest levels, Michigan is one of the best states in the country for youth soccer. We have 2 of the top 12 youth clubs in the country (Michigan Wolves/Hawks and Vardar) and the recent NPSL team, Detroit City FC, has gained a cult following despite playing at a public high school in Detroit. Again, there's no money IN the city, but there's plenty enough in the suburbs to support an MLS team...of course it would be a much less risky investment 10 years or so down the road compared to jumping in right now.

Agreed 100%. I really thought a team would pick up in the Silverdome, which has the potential to still be a good stadium even if they rip the roof off. Then again, Pontiac is in almost as bad of shape as Detroit is.

sig.png

Orlando

Miami

San Antonio

Atlanta

I'd say St. Louis and Tampa bay are 1&2 on mls explanation lists

1- What's an explanation list?

2- lolwut? Based on any actual information?

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

They'd probably have to play in Ford Field with the city's bankruptcy and all,

Or they could build this stadium. It's not like they'll building it with taxpayer money, what? they're not! Oh, good. The new Red Wing Arena on the other hand is using taxpayer money, regardless of the bankruptcy they are still building it.

Except, the funds for the new Red Wings arena are not general taxpayer funds. They are "hotel/luxury bed" funds which can only be used for convention centers/other public similar uses. This comes up all the time with stadiums (huge debate about Marlins Field), but there are not many uses they can make with the funds. Also, the bankruptcy is an issue of future pension debt and not current market strength. While the city is not in good condition, the bankruptcy is a way to get off the hook for pension liabilities.

Except that's unconstitutional IIRC.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Orlando

Miami

San Antonio

Atlanta

I'd say St. Louis and Tampa bay are 1&2 on mls explanation lists

1- What's an explanation list?

2- lolwut? Based on any actual information?

Cities where the NHL has/is/would hypotetically fail = MLS success

sig.png

Archived