Detroit in MLS?

dgthree

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then again, Pontiac is in almost as bad of shape as Detroit is.

As in Pontiac hasn't existed in 3 years.

Has anyone told them that?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I thought you meant the car brand.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

I thought you meant the car brand.

Still, Pontiac is in the middle of its own financial crisis... they just did it without the word "bankruptcy" (AFAIK). The city is currently run by a governor-appointed city manager, the city council has almost no power, everything that can be privatized has been so, and the number of city employees has gone from 600 to 50.

They'd probably have to play in Ford Field with the city's bankruptcy and all,

Or they could build this stadium. It's not like they'll building it with taxpayer money, what? they're not! Oh, good. The new Red Wing Arena on the other hand is using taxpayer money, regardless of the bankruptcy they are still building it.

Except, the funds for the new Red Wings arena are not general taxpayer funds. They are "hotel/luxury bed" funds which can only be used for convention centers/other public similar uses. This comes up all the time with stadiums (huge debate about Marlins Field), but there are not many uses they can make with the funds. Also, the bankruptcy is an issue of future pension debt and not current market strength. While the city is not in good condition, the bankruptcy is a way to get off the hook for pension liabilities.

Except that's unconstitutional IIRC.

Irrelevant. All bankruptcies are the purview of federal courts. The state constitution doesn't apply, as much as that Lansing state court judge wishes it were so.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

They'd probably have to play in Ford Field with the city's bankruptcy and all,

Or they could build this stadium. It's not like they'll building it with taxpayer money, what? they're not! Oh, good. The new Red Wing Arena on the other hand is using taxpayer money, regardless of the bankruptcy they are still building it.

Except, the funds for the new Red Wings arena are not general taxpayer funds. They are "hotel/luxury bed" funds which can only be used for convention centers/other public similar uses. This comes up all the time with stadiums (huge debate about Marlins Field), but there are not many uses they can make with the funds. Also, the bankruptcy is an issue of future pension debt and not current market strength. While the city is not in good condition, the bankruptcy is a way to get off the hook for pension liabilities.

Except that's unconstitutional IIRC.

Irrelevant. All bankruptcies are the purview of federal courts. The state constitution doesn't apply, as much as that Lansing state court judge wishes it were so.

I wouldn't be too sure. Federal Courts don't want to go down the road of saying that pension guarantees are pretty much toilet paper. Probably because of what happened in the corporate world in the 1980s. And because those same corporate leaders are behind the present war on public pensions.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I thought people here said they were stopping at 20 for a while. Now they're adding four more teams by 2020? Is this a shift in strategy?

From the article:

"Miami isnt the only city to be linked to an MLS team. Officials in Atlanta, Sacramento, Orlando, Detroit and the Twin Cities have also mentioned the possibility of landing a franchise."

EDIT: I got caught up in the "Domestic soccer 2013" thread.

I would rather the Detroit team not have a name that refers to cars. I call for a new era of hackish sports names!

Shoot. I wanted Cadillac Detroit FC. :(

/sarcasm

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Places that should get MLS before Detroit go as follows (in no particular order):

Atlanta

St. Louis

Orlando

Twin Cities

Carolinas (maybe Charlotte/Rock Hill)

PHI ALPHA! SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON. CAROLINA GAMECOCKS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS. ST. LOUIS BLUES. ORLANDO CITY SC. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

Places that should get MLS before Detroit go as follows (in no particular order):

Atlanta

St. Louis

Orlando

Twin Cities

Carolinas (maybe Charlotte/Rock Hill)

No way in hell Charlotte gets MLS before Raleigh. Not being a homer, but there are people who've spent more than a decade trying to prepare this region for an MLS franchise, cultivating a fan base and laying groundwork. Charlotte meanwhile hasn't done dick.

nav-logo.png

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like within the month Detroit may be the newest city to found an MLS team. The graphic sort of hints at a 2015 season start as well.

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/detroit/index.ssf/2013/09/mls_detroit_group_hints_at_big.html

Madness.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived