OITGDNHL: We Are The Kokusai Green Preservation Society

The_Admiral

oh my god this is happening?

Is it fair to say that a team being evicted by its owner is something that has only happened in the NHL?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seeing an anthology.

Only in the Goddamned NHL: Ten Tales of Greed, Lies and Breathtaking Incompetence From the Worst-Run League in Professional Sports

Everybody grabs a chapter, I'll edit, we split the meager proceeds equally and everybody puts in fifty bucks to hire some former player to write an introduction about how much Bettman sucks.

I'm serious. We can do this.

Who wants what?

My gut response is to call dibs on the Glendale saga, but the idiocy there goes beyond "lol" and into "I'm getting pissed off reading about this." So I'll call dibs on the NHL's current realignment and how it may or may not have been pushed through with a relocation option in mind that was never going to pan out anyway (Seattle).

How about all of the 1970's WHA Merger turmoil. Cincinnati got screwed out of a NHL team thanks the Toronto's owner. Don't know if the Stingers would still exist today, but damn it was so close.

The Rebel League, which was published in 2004, is pretty much OITGDWHA: the book. Only with a lot more nostalgia. It has a lot to discuss regarding the many and various merger proposals.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A fantastic and recommended read, by the way.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 2 weeks later...

There are, but I still see a tiny chance that the Devils could move. They have always been bottom 20 in attendance, in an oversaturated market for hockey. (3 teams! Why?)

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

It's going to look real bad if one of these leagues abandons a relatively new arena/stadium.

It would be harder to fleece cities in the future. Although I don't think the Coyotes moving would have set a precedent, I think the Devils moving would.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

There are, but I still see a tiny chance that the Devils could move. They have always been bottom 20 in attendance, in an oversaturated market for hockey. (3 teams! Why?)

So because a team's not top 10 in attendance, they should be moved? Might as well move the Oilers and Jets, since you know, they're bottom 10 in attendance year after year! :rolleyes:

Buying the Devils entitles you to the master lease for the Prudential Center. Why would you move them?

There are three teams in greater New York because greater New York is really really big and its suburban areas can easily be partitioned.

The Devils consistently have that place at least 90% full. The cheap seats in the upper deck are always packed so its not attendence that is hurting them its the NHL's poor marketing and the inability to sell its stars.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Devils consistently have that place at least 90% full. The cheap seats in the upper deck are always packed so its not attendence that is hurting them its the NHL's poor marketing and the inability to sell its stars.

Sounds like the fans are the problem. 3 Cups, a perennial Cup contender, arguably the greatest goalie of all time, a new arena next to a train station, which was supposed to eliminate the excuse of the arena being too hard to get to, like their predecessor, which was just another BS excuse.

Good fan bases would show up under these conditions and wouldn't make excuses.

They have always been bottom 20 in attendance, in an oversaturated market for hockey. (3 teams! Why?)

I don't think it's oversaturated. I mean, aren't New Yorkers and New Jersey fans bitter to each other, so much as to play their battles out on the ice rink? That's not saturation; that is passion needing a well-remedied medium to cool tensions.

If there is such a saturation in that area, I can point to what the Islanders will get themselves into within the next three years.

I just noticed the use of "bottom 20" for a 30-team league. They're 11th in attendance, move 'em!

I don't think it's fair to blame "the NHL's poor marketing" so much as "the Devils' poor marketing." The Devils under Lamoriello have always seemed to be pretty clear about being a no-frills hockey operation. It's worked to their benefit insomuch as they won three championships in eight years and have maintained a steady pipeline of NHL talent, but they've never really gone the extra mile to become something more than what they are, and it's hurt them in a lot of respects. Part of that was the unavoidable placelessness of playing in the Meadowlands, of course, but that's kind of the grand irony of this: for all the faults of being stuck out there, it was building that arena that really got them into all this trouble, more so than anything about attendance or Real Fans or anything.

Archived