OITGDNHL: We Are The Kokusai Green Preservation Society

The_Admiral

Yes. Yes I did, by God.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since it came up a few times in the season thread, how about the time one distinctly truculent general manager threatened to rent a barn for the purposes of fighting another general manager? As for Only In The, I can see where two GMs in another league might get drunk and maybe shove each other around a little, but I can't see anyone anywhere else renting a barn.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You claiming that chapter?

I'm serious. I'm almost ready to start assigning particularly egregious incidents in the league's history. My schedule is lightening up just a bit, and I'm ready to fill the time with some editing.

So. Shall we work PM or put it out here? If you're interested in committing one of these "highlights" to paper for a self-published venture, let's hear it.

• 3 weeks later...

For the record, I don't want to take part, but I think it would be more fun for the "general crowd" (like me) to watch things unfold out in the open in this thread.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Fun note: Score made a Taro Tsujimoto card in 2010-11.

TARO-copy.jpg

taro-back.jpg

SERIOUS?!?!?! geez I gotta check to see if it is legit.. and might be missing from my collection set.. what year and etc..

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Fun note: Score made a Taro Tsujimoto card in 2010-11.

TARO-copy.jpg

taro-back.jpg

SERIOUS?!?!?! geez I gotta check to see if it is legit.. and might be missing from my collection set.. what year and etc..

http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/panini-america-adds-to-the-curious-legend-of-taro-tsujimoto-with-historic-rookie-card/

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone catch the LeBlanc presser today? Basically said the plan is to market to Canadians.... Only in the NHL does a team publicly announce a marketing plan that revolves around people from another country attending games, noting he'd use Tim Hortons to help draw them there....

untitled-6.jpg

"So that whole hockey in the desert thing probably isn't going to pan out because, I mean, look at it. Still, we suckered these rubes into paying us $15 million forged a powerful partnership with the city of Glendale for five more years the foreseeable future. Our new marketing plan going forward is to target Canadians because, well, I refer you to my earlier 'hockey in the desert' remark. Wow that was a dumb idea."

http://observer.com/1998/03/a-shady-exstockbroker-nearly-bluffs-his-way-into-owning-a-team/

What the what? I didn't even know about this one.

Mr. Largue, a heavyset 36-year-old with thinning hair, met with the N.H.L.’s commissioner, Gary Bettman, last fall and told him he was looking to buy a team and that he was backed by a wealthy Swiss businessman named Lester Mittendorf. Mr. Bettman let Mr. Largue know that at some point he would have to produce Mr. Mittendorf in the flesh.

And, most disturbingly, it appeared that Mr. Mittendorf might not exist. Nobody in Switzerland-in either the hockey or business community-had heard of him, and none of Mr. Largue’s business acquaintances in the United States had met him. The only Lester Mittendorf the Edmonton reporters could find, here or abroad, was a retired banker living in Metropolis, Ill.

and finally

After a television interview in Edmonton, he broke down in tears, lamenting that newspaper accounts on the Internet had reached his children.

The only problem was, he has no children.

I love this league so much.

Reminder that OITGDNHL: The Documentary (or: Big Shot) premieres tonight on ESPN

That was fantastic.

It was pretty hilarious to actually have John Spano in it and trying to defend his actions. (Not to mention Mike Milbury's appearances hahaha). And they did actually get Bettman to participate in the doc, which was helpful and at the same time so unintentionally and hilariously ironic.

Good watch, as are almost all of these 30/30s.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Reminder that OITGDNHL: The Documentary (or: Big Shot) premieres tonight on ESPN

That was fantastic.

It was pretty hilarious to actually have John Spano in it and trying to defend his actions. (Not to mention Mike Milbury's appearances hahaha). And they did actually get Bettman to participate in the doc, which was helpful and at the same time so unintentionally and hilariously ironic.

Good watch, as are almost all of these 30/30s.

The whole time I was thinking "Bettman, this is your fault. How can you approve an owner who has no real money?". He answered questions in the doc like he wasn't present at the time Spano took over the Islanders.

My criticism though is that finally after the 47 30 For 30's on basketball (we get it sportsguy, you like basketball) they finally throw us a second hockey 30 for 30 and it's on the Islanders of the 90's? Yes, thank you Kevin Connolly, I do appreciate, but of all the great hockey stories sitting on the table, they go with this one?

And guys, I'm currently reading "The Rebel League" at your recommendation. Great stuff about the wahoo WHA.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The man nearly conned the NHL into selling him a team and he had no money, that is a classic OITGNHL, almost as good as interim Comish Gil Stein putting himself in the Hall of Fame as a special comissioner selection.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I feel that exploring failure is more interesting than exploring success. The myriad ways that the NHL -- not just under Bettman's leadership, mind you -- has taken one of the most breathtaking sports on the planet and repeatedly cocked it up for both themselves and for the world demands exploration and discussion. That's why Gothamite wants to make a book out of this thread and not, say, Looking Back, Mario Lemieux Sure Was Good.

There are headlines every week about NFL Players getting busted, NBA Players getting busted and occassional MLB.

In the NHL its the owners that get busted and go to club fed.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Have we already forgotten the current owners of the Browns and Vikings?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived