OITGDNHL: We Are The Kokusai Green Preservation Society

the admiral

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just noticed the use of "bottom 20" for a 30-team league. They're 11th in attendance, move 'em!

I meant bottom 10 there. That was a typo.

Anyways, I don't think they will move, but they always could. We're dealing with Bettman here.

I just noticed the use of "bottom 20" for a 30-team league. They're 11th in attendance, move 'em!

I meant bottom 10 there. That was a typo.

Anyways, I don't think they will move, but they always could. We're dealing with Bettman here.

This is a guy who's mad protecting the most finincially sad-sacked organization in all of the Big Four his hill to die on. I don't think he'd just let the Devils go.

Bettman doesn't have any ego involved in the Devils. No reason to keep giving them chances.

Still don't think it'll happen, but not because Bettman moves heaven and earth to keep them in New Jersey.

Gary Bettman's ego has absolutely nothing to do with the Coyotes staying put. It's entirely due to the idiot local government continuing to give them free money. Even their brand new deal allows them to pull the old "give us more money or we're outta here" in 5 years.

Bettman doesn't have any ego involved in the Devils. No reason to keep giving them chances.

Still don't think it'll happen, but not because Bettman moves heaven and earth to keep them in New Jersey.

Gary Bettman's ego has absolutely nothing to do with the Coyotes staying put. It's entirely due to the idiot local government continuing to give them free money. Even their brand new deal allows them to pull the old "give us more money or we're outta here" in 5 years.

The NHL loaned Ice Edge $85 million to buy the team from them. Try again.

I'm a little confused about the numbers in the final deal.

The purchase price is $170 million, with $45 million provided by RS&E, $120 million lent by the Fortress Investment Group (to be repaid by the fee Glendale taxpayers are going to pay the team to run the arena), and an $85 million loan from the NHL.

So that's $45 from RSE+$120 from Fortress ($165/$170).

Why is the NHL giving $85 million? Is $80 million of that to service the team's debt?

I'm a little confused about the numbers in the final deal.

The purchase price is $170 million, with $45 million provided by RS&E, $120 million lent by the Fortress Investment Group (to be repaid by the fee Glendale taxpayers are going to pay the team to run the arena), and an $85 million loan from the NHL.

So that's $45 from RSE+$120 from Fortress ($165/$170).

Why is the NHL giving $85 million? Is $80 million of that to service the team's debt?

I brought this up before, and I think the answer was: those dumbasses don't have any cash left to actually run the team once they took all the change out of the couch cushions to buy it.

The money from the NHL covers operational losses (to say nothing of the full revenue sharing they'll receive without needing to reach benchmarks), the money from Glendale is to manage the arena pay back the investment group that's putting up most of the capital.

New Jersey's attendance improved last season: a year in which they did not make the playoffs, arguably their biggest star left in free agency, and much of state was still in recovery mode following Sandy. Fans are not the problem. The Devils' foothold in New Jersey has strengthened in recent years. The FO has really pushed them as "Jersey's Team," which might seem like an impossible task considering that half of the state follows New York sports while the other follows Philly. However the footprint seems to be moving further south, even with the AHL team playing select games in Atlantic City.

I was led to believe that Central Jersey (the Brunswicks, Monmouth County, that sort of thing) was a more solid base of Devils fandom than North Jersey (Hackensack, Bergenfield, etc), which was more firmly in the NYC sphere of influence and still had Rangers fans, but a few people here told me I was as wrong as wrong could be. It makes sense with the whole Jersey's Team thing, though. That's like the land of Kevin Smith and Bruce Springsteen, avatars of Jersey.

Well, we sort of lost our way here, so let's get slightly back on track with this delightful piece from the archives of the Hartford Courant about Head Coach Pierre McGuire. Yes, anyone could hire a bad coach, and many sports teams have, but this is the most withering takedown of a failed coach I've ever read, colored in part because of who we know him to be now:

http://articles.courant.com/1994-05-21/sports/9405210429_1_pierre-mcguire-whalers-general-manager-paul-holmgren

McGuire fancied himself two parts Scotty Bowman and one part Bob Johnson. It turned out to be a superhuman leap of faith on his part.
Many times he privately said after a game how he outcoached the other guy. But it was something never really made public until May 3, when McGuire proclaimed that no coach in the NHL "can outwit me.''
Once when he was an assistant coach, McGuire bragged about his strategy to shut down Mario Lemieux. This was after a 7-3 loss and four goals by Kevin Stevens.

Literally laughed out loud at this, like one of those sputtering laughs. We have to find this boxscore and see if Stevens got any of his goals off assists from Mario. If he did, I'll just die of laughter right then and there.

McGuire got Jagr for an illegal stick, and after Jagr jumped out of the penalty box, he scored on a breakaway. Although he had scored big goals in two Stanley Cup championships, Jagr called this overtime goal the biggest of his life because he humbled "that know-it-all.''

Jagr is just a treat.

Consider the Michael Nylander situation. McGuire would throw his arm around the young Swede and tell him he loved him like a son.

mcguire.gif

Gordon had initially wanted to make McGuire GM when Brian Burke left to work for the NHL. If Holmgren hadn't pushed McGuire, an assistant GM at the time, into the coaching spot, McGuire might be GM and coach today. Holmgren might have been fired by Jan. 1.

This is a team from 19 years ago that doesn't exist anymore and yet look how many of the principals are still involved in the league and still sucking at their jobs. And there's the OITGDNHL thrust.

And lest we forget half the team slipping out after curfew under Pierre's watchful eye during a road trip to Buffalo and getting in a drunken brawl at Jim Kelly's nightclub (because who else would own a nightclub in Buffalo), a brawl that involved a 19-year-old Chris Pronger. Buffalo's almost Canada, sure, but it's not that close, kids!

Oh, and the whole "carrying team property out the door with you to sell to the competition" thing. Pierre is a delight. The only coaching gig Pierre could get after dry-fisting the Whalers for 3/4 of a season was in the ECHL, and it took him 3 years to land that. Led the Baton Rouge Kingfish to 7th place in an 8-team division. One year, done, and falling upward through television ever since. What a pustule.

Archived