OITGDNHL: We Are The Kokusai Green Preservation Society

The_Admiral

I'm sorry for not properly citing, but it's in the Bettman Book, and since Brian Burke going to work in the NHL office came up in the McGuire piece, I have to make another mention of it. Bettman picking wet toilet paper off the bathroom floor and then scolding Burke for letting it get so messy in there when they're always having company over is just, man, I don't know. It's like Bert & Ernie from hell.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not many have career top-line national broadcast men and commissioners who are actively detrimental to the sport.

Watch this:

Then watch this:

Enough said.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Damnit Russia, you had one job...

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Sorry if this has been covered, but the Predators are instituting a restriction on area codes that can purchase tickets in order to keep markets like Chicago out of their arena during home games. It's called "Keep The Red Out."

“The best way to buy a Blackhawk ticket is to have a season ticket, a half season ticket or a 15-game plan,” Henry said. “But we also realize that we’re still going to have to sell 3,000-4,000 single tickets for that game. What it’s going to do by forcing another game is we’ll almost direct it toward people that live in the general area, for the most part. And (for the pre-sale) only those in the zip codes that we unlock can buy the Blackhawk game and a second game. So we’re breaking down every barrier we can to Keep the Red Out.”

That helps keep Chicago fans at bay, for sure. But what if Blackhawks fans really want to jump through hoops to see their team play in Music City?

“They’re going to have to earn it,” Henry said. “And they’re going to help us continue to grow our roster by building our (revenue at the) gate. It’s that simple. In the end, we’re building something pretty special. If we have to do it off the backs of their fans a little bit, I’m not apologizing for it.

“We don’t want to build those ticket grosses off of our core — our lifeblood — the season ticket holders. We want to build it off the single game buyers who only want to buy those games.”

Not able to go to that second game you’re forced to buy but still really want to see the 2013 Stanley Cup Champions? The Preds have that covered as well.

“We’ve built in a plan where they can donate the ticket back to members of the military,” Henry said.

I understand trying to repulse bandwagoners from filling your arena, but the best way to avoid that is to not suck at hockey and build a brand that's primary look isn't the android equivalent of an extinct cat.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

oh for the love of god look at all this terrible empty rhetoric

“They’re going to have to earn it,” Henry said. “And they’re going to help us continue to grow our roster by building our (revenue at the) gate. It’s that simple. In the end, we’re building something pretty special. If we have to do it off the backs of their fans a little bit, I’m not apologizing for it.

“We don’t want to build those ticket grosses off of our core — our lifeblood — the season ticket holders. We want to build it off the single game buyers who only want to buy those games.”

What kind of retard math are they doing where they're purporting to make most of their revenue from three single-game tickets to three Blackhawks games rather than season ticket packages and luxury suites? What kind of slack-jawed yokel would actually believe such stupid pandering? Second of all, if you're claiming that you're going to build your organization on the backs of three games' worth of Hawks fans, then how, pray tell, do you build your organization by making it harder for them to buy the tickets you need them to buy? I mean, holy crap, do these people eat their weight in lead paint? This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. And no, you're not building anything special. You're building a revolving-door cast of uncreative plugs who run the same tired-ass left-wing lock every single night while Shea Weber fires 110-mph slapshots and wishes he were in Philadelphia. It's the opposite of special. What a stupid team. Get out of our league; no one asked you to be here.

Have we gone over the 1967 expansion and the great idea of "Hey! Let's automatically put in an expansion team into the Cup Finals!" that resulted in.. well..

...three-straight St. Louis sweep-outs.

Then followed by a bizarre division crossover format of #1 vs. #3 and #2 vs. #4 seed match ups, with accusations of the #3 tanking games to avoid seeing #1 in the playoffs.

Hockey's answer to social engineering. Gotta love it :rolleyes:

Wasn't that the Thrashers during the end of their run?

Have we gone over the 1967 expansion and the great idea of "Hey! Let's automatically put in an expansion team into the Cup Finals!" that resulted in.. well..

Meh....that was a decent idea. If you want to boost interest in your new markets, you need to keep the (false) hope alive as long as possible.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Naming your new group of teams with Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in it the "Western Conference", however...

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Naming your new group of teams, with Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in it, the "Western Conference," however...

...is just as stupid as putting the Red Wings in the "Atlantic" division, despite the city of Detroit not touching any portion of the Atlantic Ocean.

Because Edmonton, Calgary, Phoenix and previously Dallas were bustling Pacific ports.

Atlanta in the NL West? Arizona in the NFC East? Every league has had its share of geographical misnomers. It happens. (Doesn't change the fact that names like "Metropolitan" are dumb, but hey.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/53011/great-debacles-in-nhl-history

But the story actually includes a mystery subplot that’s been largely forgotten: Why did the Devils go to court for a restraining order in the first place? Why didn’t they just appeal their coach’s suspension to league president John Ziegler?

As it turns out, they had a good excuse. During an embarrassing crisis occurring in the middle of the conference finals, Ziegler couldn’t be located. He just went missing. For days.

How do you appeal to a president who’s gone AWOL? You can’t, the Devils figured, so they went to court.

Blackhawks owner Bill Wirtz claimed Ziegler had left him in charge, and insisted he had everything under control. But rumors flew about the missing president’s whereabouts. One especially bizarre report indicated that he was helping his son escape a cult.

It wasn’t until days after the doughnut incident that Ziegler finally made his presence known — via conference call, from an undisclosed location. To this day, nobody seems to know exactly where he was.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-05-13/sports/8803160740_1_ziegler-wirtz-devils-coach-jim-schoenfeld

Boston General Manager Harry Sinden had snapped, "This great game will survive despite the people who run it."

May this be the league's epigraph.

Then followed by a bizarre division crossover format of #1 vs. #3 and #2 vs. #4 seed match ups, with accusations of the #3 tanking games to avoid seeing #1 in the playoffs.

That is definitely worth a chapter.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'd be fine with seeding 1 through 16, really. The East and Less East conferences are pretty artificial constructs compared to once-rival leagues, so just have the best teams in the league wind up playing.

Sorry if this has been covered, but the Predators are instituting a restriction on area codes that can purchase tickets in order to keep markets like Chicago out of their arena during home games. It's called "Keep The Red Out."

[Long Quote]

I understand trying to repulse bandwagoners from filling your arena, but the best way to avoid that is to not suck at hockey and build a brand that's primary look isn't the android equivalent of an extinct cat.

What an idiotic move. Money's money. It really doesn't matter who's paying as long they're paying. When we went down to Nashville two years ago for a game, we didn't buy tickets months in advance. We literallly were going down to Nashville, someone said, "Hey the Hawks happen to be in town, let's get tickets." And then we went on Stub Hub and bought them for relatively cheap. What's going to stop Hawks fans from doing that now? "They have to earn it." Give me a break. People are coming down, spending money in your city, drink all your beer, and then proceed to spend money in your stadium. Why would you try and make them jump through hoops to do so?

Imagine if Wirtz had done this back in the day when the Hawks weren't so good and Red Wings fans would come over and fill up the UC. He would never have had a sellout.

I know at some point, either in the late '30s or early '40s or something, where the format was #1 vs. #2, #3 vs. #4, and #5 vs. #6.

Problem is, it was a hockey book I read in 2007, and I don't remember the name of it.

spacer.png

Archived