If we didn't boycott China five years ago (not for LGBTQ stuff, just for lack of human rights in general), I don't see why we would boycott Russia now.

Because the US relies less on Russian imports and exports than it does on Chinese industry.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't recall China enacting a new series of draconian laws immediately before the Olympics, nor do I recall them threatening foreign athletes in particular.

My memory could be faulty, but Russia seems unique in its recent provocations.

Well not that unique.

Well that's just odd when you think about it.

"There's a guy we want at their airport and the're not giving him to us. let's not go there, that'll show them!"

Proving points that republicans should not be making desicions for large groups of people.

Cool story, bro. And the irony of calling someone dumb amidst your own misspellings and incorrect grammar is not lost. Yes, it's dumb and pointless, just like boycotting the 1980 Olympics was. We really showed them.

The hockey players boycotting would ultimately have very little impact on Russia. It would bring a little more press to this issue, but in the US, Olympic hockey falls well behind figure skating, speed skating and several other sports in terms of importance. The NHL players boycotting would have a fraction of the impact that would the figure skaters. The same number of people are still going to travel to the games and spend just as much money, so the only way Russia is punished is that its hockey tournament is less memorable.

Meh, I was in phone and tired so the incorrect grammar is not the most important thing to me.

Also good point, if Russia wins the tournament, won't us Canadians be punished?

But seriously, I agree that boycotting is useless and won't accomplish anything.

While I wholeheartedly support the You Can Play initiative (as anyone with at least half an ounce of sense should) I don't think boycotting the Olympics would serve their interests well.

It would essentially be bending to the will of those fascist thugs. Jesse Owens went to Berlin and won medals despite knowing that Adolf Hitler was a racist prick and ran a country governed by people following a racist ideology. This is no different. Go to Sochi. Do well. Win medals. Show those :censored:s that you're better than them and you will not be intimidated by their draconian laws.

Those who support You Can Play have a duty to athletes all over the world to show that they will not bend in the face of threats and intimidation, no matter who those threats and intimidation come from.

In short, Vladimir Putin can go :censored: himself.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

check out the IIHF website and look at the disparity between the US and Canada in the percentage of of hockey players in the world (32% and 38%, respectively). There is no reason why Canada and the USA shouldn't end up in the Gold Medal game. The 2014 Semifinals could be bigger for human rights, politically, than the 1980 Miracle on Ice (if the US and Canada win). I would bet on this result in Sochi.

No boycott. For the Russian people.

What will the Russian players say?

Respecting sovereignty is tougher in a connected world. We can draw attention to abuses through the new media.

There is a hint of Dem-Rep politics on here. I'll say this, if your party wants to attract voters (both sides need 'em), you gotta respect them even if you disagree (maybe). Respecting sovereignty is a tough ask, but we must recognize "where the game is being played and how we can win."

I'll try to post some of that IIHF data. Canada+USA=70% of the hockey player population (1.6 million worldwide). The 12 Olympic teams represent something like 99.5% of the hockey pop.

Who is hurt by the bully (discriminator, racist, etc.) more? The bully himself or the victim?

Will we root for Russia or be ambivalent? *Probably the same question people asked in 1980.

Side note: If you listen to a hockey broadcast with your eyes closed, it sounds very sexual.

"Smith takes the puck and gets rubbed along the boards. Puck goes to Mannheim, and he gets manhandled by Sikowski. Tanner takes it and heads up the other end, slips, shoots, scores!"

What about pitchforked along the boards with two and three quarter minutes left.

I'm going to steal a page from CS85's book:

element-300x240.jpg

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived