• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

George Takei wants the games back in Vancouver:

http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=429332

49157-george-takei-oh-my-gif-e64l.gif

I dont know if that can be done logistically, it takes a long time to plan an event like this and can Vancouver get it together on such short notice.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Also no one wants to see the IOC hand the hockey gold medal to Canada on a silver platter again.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Also no one wants to see the IOC hand the hockey gold medal to Canada on a silver platter again.

Someone call the wambulance. The US had every opportunity to win that game. We even did you guys a solid and started Roberto Luongo.

Instead of a boycott or moving the Games, another alternative has been proposed: Ban Russian athletes from competing.

I like the (sort of) outside-the-box thinking here, but as long as Russia is still hosting, there's any number of ways this idea can backfire on the IOC. Two in particular come to mind:

1. Russia retaliates by enforcing the ban on "promoting homosexuality" even more strictly than they might have otherwise - not only with Olympic athletes but even IOC officials (who, they might argue, would have already violated the law by imposing the ban, never mind that they would have done so before setting foot on Russian territory).
  2. Russia takes the "nuclear option" of withdrawing as host nation, which would be as good as an outright cancellation if done on too short a notice. (This would not only be catastrophic for Russia's future in the Olympic movement, but also set off red-alert sirens at FIFA HQ regarding 2018; still, I would not put such a thing past Putin and company.)

CCSLC signature.png

They're Russians. Isn't there some way we can just bribe them with cigarettes?

EDIT: and a nice big lol-epiphany at banning "homosexual propaganda" in a country where every male over the age of 6 always has a phallic symbol in his mouth

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Too cliche. I'm more fascinated by the fact that even their hockey players smoke packs a day, which, in retrospect, kind of explains those infamous power outages from Kostitsyn and Ovechkin this year.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived