NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

Just the mighty Broncos, Tom Brady and the Patriots are a quiet 4-0 -- Peyton's worst nightmare come playoff time.

The Patriots used to be his greatest nightmare. But actually, since 2006, hasn't Manning dominated the Patriots? I know New England beat Denver last year but I was during the time that the Broncos were trying to fit Peyton into their scheme rather than just fitting the rest of the team into Mannings scheme.

While 4-0 is 4-0... the Patriots are a very ugly 4-0.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just the mighty Broncos, Tom Brady and the Patriots are a quiet 4-0 -- Peyton's worst nightmare come playoff time.

The Patriots used to be his greatest nightmare. But actually, since 2006, hasn't Manning dominated the Patriots? I know New England beat Denver last year but I was during the time that the Broncos were trying to fit Peyton into their scheme rather than just fitting the rest of the team into Mannings scheme.

Not gonna post stat lines, just scores.

2006 regular season @ NE: Colts 27-20

2006 playoffs @ IND: Colts 38-34 (came back from 21-3 deficit)

2007 regular season @ IND: Patriots 24-20

2008 regular season @ IND: Colts 18-15

2009 regular season @ IND: Colts 35-34 (you may remember the ridiculous comeback from the Colts)

2010 regular season @ NE: Patriots 31-28 (Colts rallied from 31-14, but Peyton was picked in the red zone in the final minute)

2012 regular season @ NE: Patriots 31-21

So that's 4-3, which isn't too terrible.

spacer.png

After second though, I went ahead and edited my original post. How could I possibly forget New England's postseason record since beating the Eagles in Super Bowl 39. 0-for-forver. In fact, the Pats have had home field and/or been favored in almost every postseason game they've played since then and still haven't gotten it done since 2004. It'll be interesting to see what happens if/when Manning and Brady meet again in the postseason. Really though, the winner will probably get bounced by whoever wins the NFC anyways.

6uXNWAo.png

2009 regular season @ IND: Colts 35-34 (you may remember the ridiculous comeback from the Colts)

2010 regular season @ NE: Patriots 31-28 (Colts rallied from 31-14, but Peyton was picked in the red zone in the final minute)

Yeah, okay. Regular season is nice. But how about those postseason matchups? Pretty sure Peyton Manning has beaten Brady ONCE in at least four meetings. And in that one win, Manning was all but dead in the water. Shocked the Colts were able to come back in that one.

6uXNWAo.png

Brady didn't play in the game in 2008, which makes him 3-3 against Manning since 2006.

It's also interesting to point out that the Broncos only loss to the Patriots in the playoffs came with Tim Tebow at the helm.

OH YAH. TEBOW HAZ MORE PLAY OFF WINZ 4 DENVER THEN PAYTON !!!!1DERP

6uXNWAo.png

I wasn't so much speaking about record wise, I was talking more about Peyton vs. Belichick's defense. More often than not, there was more talent on the New England sidelines than the Colts had. Hell, the Patriots won 11 games with Matt freaking Cassell. This year, that's not the case.

IUe6Hvh.png

I wasn't so much speaking about record wise, I was talking more about Peyton vs. Belichick's defense. More often than not, there was more talent on the New England sidelines than the Colts had. This year, that's not the case.

Not even with Aqib Talib on the roster?

talib_inc.png

Not sure why the Bucs would ever give up on this upstanding young man. :rolleyes:

6uXNWAo.png

Somehow, I just keep thinking about the 2007 Patriots, not to mention the last team with an "unstoppable" offense before that, the 1998 Minnesota Vikings. Neither of those two squads managed to close the deal, and the latter didn't even make the big show.

*clears throat*

You can win it all with an unstoppable offense.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Watched the Browns/Bengals game for kicks and here's what I learned about the Browns:

• The Browns defense is a lot of fun. Their d-line has some fantastic hands/footwork and they've got a lot of exciting players on that side of the ball that are a great pleasure to watch.
  • There's a really fantastic energy in that stadium right now. For whatever reason trading Richardson and bottoming out as a fan base sort of galvanized everyone together.
  • Hoyer The Destroyer (as he is apparently known) is nothing special at quarterback but he's not bad either. He makes good decisions, has a bit of mobility, and you can tell the guys have embraced him. Hoyer's sort of a yokel and doesn't have "da fire and da pashun" but he'll get it done. Perfect guy to rally around.
  • Jordan Cameron is a mainstay in that offense. Guy is, in my opinion, one of the best in the NFL.
  • This team reminds me of the 2005 Bears, where the defense was a force and the offense's only purpose was not to lose the game. I genuinely think these guys could ride this wave to a wild card berth. Which takes me to the Bengals...

Ahem:

• The Bengals are eating themselves alive as a fanbase. Dalton is apparently still not winning people over there, but what escapes me more is...
  • ...how the Bengals routinely put together nearly the same team year after year and have the same damn flaws. Dalton is there of course, AJ Green is a beast, they have two excellent tight ends and some talent at running back, but undisciplined play and just...just stupid mistakes are constantly present.
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Is it just me, or does Detroit look like they did a couple years back when they made the playoffs? They looked good against Chicago.

Also, this is purely speculation, what are the chances Lane Kiffin went back to the NFL, not as a coach, but as coordinator?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Chiefs/Giants observations:

• The Giants are sort of this lifeless jellyfish of a football team that has no identity at all. They were in the game for most of the first half before their offensive line shat itself and Eli derped for the remainder of the game.
  • How cool is it to see a VERY well-rounded and good football team playing in Arrowhead again? The place was rocking and those uniforms looked perfect. Gave me a weird football boner.
  • It's neat to see Alex Smith finally find the right fit. So many good things coming together for the Chiefs this year thanks to a quality off-season and lucky timing.
  • That McCluster return for a score is the play of the year as of today. Crappy video but it's the best I could do on short notice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deKRZuPBQdw

Hopefully some credit goes to former Bears special teams guru Dave Toub and bonus points for mocking Cruz's stupid TD dance.

Cardinals/Bucs:

• Not really sure why I watched this one. Just a crapfest.
  • The hell are the Bucs wearing? White/pewter at home? Cut the crap, the pewter helmet/pants look glorious with RED home jerseys. White unis make no difference at all.
  • Both of these teams are just sort of existing right now. The Bucs have a few pieces here and there, but they don't leave any kind of imprint on me. The Cardinals have a god-awful offensive line and an okay defense but nothing from either team on any front makes me want to engage further in either team.
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

New England may still choke this one away!

The Pats just dodged a huge bullet there!

You guys don't see the Falcons much, do you? I live outside Atlanta and as I posted earlier in this thread, that's what the Falcons do: excel early, deflate, storm back, occasionally succeed but more often fail.

And Blount got that first down. How in the world can anyone see the overhead shot and say he was short? That call was bizarre.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Chiefs/Giants observations:

• The Giants are sort of this lifeless jellyfish of a football team that has no identity at all.

Their identity is being a model of upstanding Brahmin gentility. Ah, tut-tut, old chap!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ahem:

• The Bengals are eating themselves alive as a fanbase. Dalton is apparently still not winning people over there, but what escapes me more is...
  • ...how the Bengals routinely put together nearly the same team year after year and have the same damn flaws. Dalton is there of course, AJ Green is a beast, they have two excellent tight ends and some talent at running back, but undisciplined play and just...just stupid mistakes are constantly present.

The Bengals played like ass yesterday. Nobody showed up for that game. It was as if they figured it was just the Browns and they'd be able to stroll through that game. It was the first poor game they've played this season.

I think Andy Dalton could be the answer, but he needs to become more consistent. At times he looks like a probowler and other times he looks like one of the incompetent QBs we all laugh at. He just outdueled Aaron Rodgers and then he gets beat by Brian Hoyer. Like, what the hell?

As far as discipline and stupid mistakes, I feel like teams embody their head coach and in this 11th season (my god!) with Marvin Lewis I have never seen a smart football team wearing the stripes. They've always taken dumb penalties, they've always made boneheaded decisions.

AJ Green is a beast, it would be great if Dalton would stop overthrowing him.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived