NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

I've been pleasantly surprised with the Browns these last two weeks and I'm gonna enjoy the team playing pretty decently while I still can.

Do I think they'll win more than 4 games the rest of the way? No, but it's fun to be looking down at the Steelers in the standings after Week 4. ^_^

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Due to the Athletics playing this Saturday at home. The Raiders/Chargers game will now be played at 11:35pm ET, right after the Niners/Texans on SNF. Guess it takes 24 hours for them to change the seats over.

I would think it has more to do with field preparation than the seats.

why not move the NFL game to monday instead of a LATE kick off on a SUNDAY??? or better yet why cant MLB make this a afternoon game??? it seems like a dick move by MLB if you ask me

Wouldn't be the first time. Just ask the Ravens.

6uXNWAo.png

why not move the NFL game to monday instead of a LATE kick off on a SUNDAY??? or better yet why cant MLB make this a afternoon game??? it seems like a dick move by MLB if you ask me

Damn right it is. The NFL can afford to be told to piss up a rope every now and then, such as when one tenant is competing for a championship and the other blows for yet another year. Maybe the NFL can move the game to Tuesday so they can live their dream of having a game every single goddamn night.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This Denver love is horrible, I mean it's a SOFT schedule so far, talk to me when they beat NE or KC, till then they ain't played nobody!! NOBODY

I'll go ahead and back the Broncos on this one. While the Raiders are the Raiders and Philly is in some-sort-of-rebuild mode, Denver has stomped the last two Super Bowl champs (BAL & NYG). I'm not going to say those wins mean nothing, because they do. Especially in the fashion they did it.

And aside from Seattle, New England and Kansas City(???), what even constitutes as a "quality win" this season?

The Eagles are a bad defense, but consider the fact that Peyton Manning played 3 quarters and sat on the sideline while Philly ate up clock for a large chunk of the first half... and he still had ~350 yards and 4 TD's. Keep in mind, also, that when the Broncos put in Brock Osweiler, and faced a 3rd and eleven early in the fourth quarter... it was their SECOND THIRD DOWN CONVERSION ATTEMPT OF THE GAME. The Broncos had three separate drives of 80 yards or more and didn't even see third down on ANY OF THEM. That is unheard of. And really, their first third down of the game only came because Peyton Manning missed Eric Decker by about three inches when Decker was sprinting down the sideline 10 yards behind the nearest Eagles defender.

Regardless of where the Eagles stand defensively, the fact that the Broncos did that to them, moving the ball down the field the way they did without ever needing any third downs is as impressive and efficient as offense gets in the National Football League.

Also, the Eagles are one of the better offenses in the league... the Broncos gave up 13 points, made their adjustment at halftime, and then kept them off of the scoreboard until a garbage time TD late.

By the way, you talk about KC or NE being the benchmark of the Broncos being good... but, just out of curiosity, who have the Chiefs and Patriots played, exactly? The Chiefs managed one offensive TD against that awful Eagles defense, by the way.

IUe6Hvh.png

Due to the Athletics playing this Saturday at home. The Raiders/Chargers game will now be played at 11:35pm ET, right after the Niners/Texans on SNF. Guess it takes 24 hours for them to change the seats over.

I would think it has more to do with field preparation than the seats.

For football, the seats of the lower bowl of Mt. Davis are not re-tractable and on wheels.

They are brought in piece by piece via forklift and cranes. It does take that long.

NOTE: This is old as Randy Moss was still a Raider at the time.

The Saints remind me of they did in 09, with a lethal offense and a bend but don't break turnover forcing defense. Only question mark is the running game, which was decent 4 years ago, but at least they have Sproles, who is lethal out of the backfield.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

This Denver love is horrible, I mean it's a SOFT schedule so far, talk to me when they beat NE or KC, till then they ain't played nobody!! NOBODY

I'll go ahead and back the Broncos on this one. While the Raiders are the Raiders and Philly is in some-sort-of-rebuild mode, Denver has stomped the last two Super Bowl champs (BAL & NYG). I'm not going to say those wins mean nothing, because they do. Especially in the fashion they did it.

And aside from Seattle, New England and Kansas City(???), what even constitutes as a "quality win" this season?

That's the thing, we're four weeks in and all that we can be reasonably sure of is that Denver looks really good, Seattle has a great defense, and NE just keeps being...well...NE. I feel fairly confident saying the following teams are pretty solid: KC, NO, SF, and Indy. I'd throw Cincinnati in there too, but they play some really stupid football sometimes. (their loss to the Browns was just one of those things.) I think the jury is still out on Detroit, Chicago, and Miami. There's a whole lot of "who the :censored: knows?" in the middle, and it's safe to say that Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, and Oakland just aren't very good.

In other words, we're a quarter of the way in to a typical NFL season.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm alright with the late late game. I assume CBS is limiting this game to just these two markets, and outside of the two fanbases, those that care about this game are fantasy players and degenerate gamblers.

If memory serves, the last time we had a weird game like this, it was available on NFL Sunday Ticket. I can't remember who played in the game (I'm sure Kramerica will be along shortly to let us know) but I think it was moved to Monday night because of the MLB playoffs.

BB52Big.jpg

There was the Giants-Vikings 3 years ago moved to Monday Night, thanks to the roof caving in, though that had nothing to do with the MLB. That was available only to the markets of the teams and available on Sunday Ticket.

According to wikipedia, the game you could be thinking of was Bears-Dolphins in 1997, which was moved back a day. Though it says that game was on ABC.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

There was a Steelers/Dolphins game in 2004 that was moved from 1:00 to 8:30 because of a hurricane (and shown only in those markets because of SNF). I think it was Roethlisberger's debut?

The Chargers/Raiders game is on NFL Network and will be shown nationally using NFL Network graphics and Ian Eagle/Dan Fouts from CBS (who were originally scheduled to call the game). People in California and the surrounding areas will now get Broncos/Cowboys for their second game of the CBS doubleheader instead, so that game will be shown everywhere in the country except Arizona (since there's a home Cardinals game on FOX)

That's the thing, we're four weeks in and all that we can be reasonably sure of is that Denver looks really good, Seattle has a great defense, and NE just keeps being...well...NE. I feel fairly confident saying the following teams are pretty solid: KC, NO, SF, and Indy. I'd throw Cincinnati in there too, but they play some really stupid football sometimes. (their loss to the Browns was just one of those things.) I think the jury is still out on Detroit, Chicago, and Miami. There's a whole lot of "who the :censored: knows?" in the middle, and it's safe to say that Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, and Oakland just aren't very good.

In other words, we're a quarter of the way in to a typical NFL season.

Yeah, it's really impossible to say what constitutes a quality win at this point. For instance, from the sounds of it, most people don't consider the Broncos drubbing of Baltimore to be a quality win, yet consider Seattles sloppy win over Houston to be a quality win. Never mind the fact that Baltimore handily beat Houston in week 3. You pretty much nailed it on what we do know. Broncos are really good, maybe unbeatable at home. Seahawks have an incredible defense, maybe unbeatable at home. The Saints have a solid defense to go along with their great offense. The Patriots just overcome -- not pretty, but it doesn't have to be. Beyond that, there's a pretty large second tier of teams that are inconsistent or that you just don't know what you're going to get out of. I'd have KC at the top of that second tier. And then there's some really bad teams.

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm alright with the late late game. I assume CBS is limiting this game to just these two markets, and outside of the two fanbases, those that care about this game are fantasy players and degenerate gamblers.

If memory serves, the last time we had a weird game like this, it was available on NFL Sunday Ticket. I can't remember who played in the game (I'm sure Kramerica will be along shortly to let us know) but I think it was moved to Monday night because of the MLB playoffs.

I believe there was a Vikings game at the Metrodome that was rescheduled due to Game 7 of the 1987 World Series, but that was years before Sunday Ticket was a thing.

Since then? There was that game ninersdd mentioned, but that was in December 2010, long after MLB was finished. There was a 2003 Dolphins/Chargers game that was had some last minute changes, but that was playing the game in Arizona instead of San Diego due to the infamous October 2003 wildfires in Southern California; that was a Monday Night Football game regardless.

In any case, such events are increasingly unlikelier in today's age because there are significantly fewer MLB/NFL stadiums left in North America; Oakland is the only one there is, in fact. And I know you were being rhetorical and I took the bait much further than I should've (because why the hell not, right?), but the odds are nigh impossible that I would remember if this happened in Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Oakland, Miami, or Pittsburgh (any other multi-purpose venues I missed?) prior to 2000.

spacer.png

Here's my observations from the Cowboys-Chargers game (and it was my first NFL game I've ever been to):

- Offensively for SD, the Chargers completely out played the Cowboys defense. With every adjustment Kiffin made, the Chargers were one step ahead. Rivers played an almost flawless game. His lone gaffe was caused by pressure (go figure), from Hatcher. Other than that they dictated the flow of the game and wore out the Cowboys defense.

- For me on the Cowboys end, this was a team loss by the Cowboys. We abandoned the run (despite Murray having a 5.8 yards per carry average!!) and all of our WR had key drops. We were completely outcoached. We missed a golden opportunity to go 3-1 and to have tied for 2nd best record in the conference. I'm tired of seeing team getting outcoached.

Also, while at Qualcomm Stadium, the ratio of Cowboy fans to Charger fans was absurd. The SD fans seem like the stereotypical depiction of the fair weather SoCal fan. Kind of like the bandwagoner Laker fans. Of course you had your die hards, but through out the game, us Cowboy fans were way louder. Especially in that 2nd quarter. The only time the Chargers made any real noise was when the highlights of the Redskin-Raider game were shown. Seriously. I saw Charger fans dumping beer and throwing food at Cowboy fans. The fans in my section were very civil however. Both fanbases shook hands with each other after the game. Very classy from both sides.

In all it was a fun experience and I can't wait my next Cowboys game.

Today's presser, the Red Robot addressed some of your thoughts.

Bruce Carter was made to look like a fool and Ernie Sims had to clean up with six tackles, but it is still Carter's job. On both of the touchdown passes to Danny Woodhead, the Chargers were able to create man-coverage in space with a RB on a LB. Carter failed twice thus Sims came in, SD put Gates up against Sean Lee and that worked well too. After four games, the DL like Selvie and Nick Hayden are proving why they were cut or out of football in 2012.

Under Kiffin after four games, as fast as they are as LBs, both Carter and Lee have been lit up via a checkdown. Eli, Alex Smith and Phil Rivers have attacked them with Peyton Manning, who just threw his first real deep ball, up next.

Now, Garrett says Carter had a "foot problem" in the 2nd half.

They only had the ball for 56 plays and were 3/9 on 3rd down conversions. Romo threw 37 passes, but their final 15 plays from scrimmage were passing plays because they were down two scores. That is why they abandoned the run.

Looking forward to seeing what the Saints can do at Chicago next week. The Bears have had their number in the Payton/Brees era and of course N.O. is a very different team outside. Weather should be nice though so that will help. Hoping they can win at least one of the next two (@ Bears, @ New England).

Brees last night...77% completion pct. (30 of 39), 413 yards, 4 TD, 0 INT. Wow.

Saints have won 9 straight MNF games. Brees in that stretch: 28 TD, 5 INT. In fairness, he threw 5 picks in one TNF game last year (@ Atlanta).

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

There was the Giants-Vikings 3 years ago moved to Monday Night, thanks to the roof caving in, though that had nothing to do with the MLB. That was available only to the markets of the teams and available on Sunday Ticket.

According to wikipedia, the game you could be thinking of was Bears-Dolphins in 1997, which was moved back a day. Though it says that game was on ABC.

That's the game I was thinking of. My memory isn't what it used to be.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived