suns1977

New Phoenix Suns Uniforms

Uniforms gonna suck, Board will go nuts on how bad they are. Did I guess right yet?

Well that worked out well.

I did a really rough mockup last night where I moved the numerals down to the lower left and had the sunburst coming from that. I think that could have worked well. I may work on a better version this weekend.

Given that I have the very, very unpopular opinion of actually liking the previous set, I think this is a monster downgrade.

Knowing that almost all of you hate the previous set, I still wonder how anyone cannot be disappointed here.

What I like:

• "Suns" at home, "Phoenix" on the road.
  • The shorts logo combining the wings and the sun

What I hate:

• Purple on the road and no purple on the other two. I hope this does not become a huge trend. They should either be purple or not. If they want to go black and orange, than just do it. If they don't want to upset fans that want purple, then make it a full-fledged color and use it on all uniforms.
  • The gradient on the home word mark
  • The butt stripe
  • The number font
  • The sleeves
  • The "rays" that are connected to nothing. I am also in the minority in that I hated the 90s look, but if they are going to have rays they need to have more 90s inspiration...like actually having the rays come off the "ball"/"sun". Now they are just a bunch of lines.

Taste is subjective so I almost never say "how could anyone like these?" I did it with the original Oilers edge (rather, "how could anyone think this is not a downgrade"). I won't quite go that far here, but I'd be surprised to see much love.

Mostly agree with this. I also don't like the jersey style and how flat the fabric looks. Basically the only things I like are the team name, the burst logo on the side/bottom of the shorts, and the color combination on the roads.

What the....? Did the Suns Twitter account really just tweet this???

m8URKYn.jpg

Well, I noticed the Suns facebook page has had an overwhelmingly NEGATIVE response to the uniforms. Fans don't seem very happy.

Yeah but the new normal is to hate everything except Breaking Bad and the iPad.

I'm a Suns fan.

The good news is...

1-The team is likely going to suck for a few more years, so these uniforms will be linked to bad teams, and will hopefully inspire the team to switch uniforms again in a few years to rid themselves of this ugly era.

2-The orange sleeved uniforms are so bad that they'll probably wear the purples the vast majority of the time on the road, which are by far the best of the 3. I was afraid they'd have an alt orange or alt black and transition that as the primary roads, since they seem to be on a mission to eliminate the beautiful and traditional purple color everywhere.

After getting a look at the shorts in the uni graphics, I feel like they didn't need to use such disparate color schemes for the winged sun on the bottom of each pair. The orange/grey/black/orange version from the purple shorts would absolutely work on the white shorts, and pop a whole lot more than that orange/grey/grey/black version. The winged sun from the purple shorts might even work on the orange shorts, and then it wouldn't have to be orange wings on an orange background.

I'm a Suns fan.

The good news is...

1-The team is likely going to suck for a few more years, so these uniforms will be linked to bad teams, and will hopefully inspire the team to switch uniforms again in a few years to rid themselves of this ugly era.

2-The orange sleeved uniforms are so bad that they'll probably wear the purples the vast majority of the time on the road, which are by far the best of the 3. I was afraid they'd have an alt orange or alt black and transition that as the primary roads, since they seem to be on a mission to eliminate the beautiful and traditional purple color everywhere.

They said the orange alternates will only be worn for Friday home games starting in January.

I'm DONE, the sunburst on the home shorts are orange and GREY.

GREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HomeShort_zpsa2482647.jpg

The sunburst on the shorts looks like wings to me.

Right. I'd say they almost certainly evoke the wings of a phoenix, rising from the flames of the sun.

SunsShorts_zps84c234a2.jpg

It might be the coolest part of the new uni, but interesting that the phoenix and sun elements on the shorts are so different than those elements in their logo package.

It's also odd how very different the color treatment is on each uniform. The orange wings coming out of the black sun on the orange shorts looked pretty bad to me during the unveiling, partially because the orange wings blend right in to the shorts. Also because the sun is black.

Does this look like an agave and not anything to with the suns to anyone else?

Here's the thing, they don't need to change the uniforms entirely, just subtle changes. Add some purple to the home and orange jersey and it will look a lot better. The 'speed lines' aren't terrible, especially when you understand the meaning behind them. To be honest, I'd have preferred they just left out any sort of lines or sunbursts. The uniforms would have looked good with just the wordmark and number.... even being slanted. The trim lines and burst on the shorts isn't terrible either, just needs to be consistent among all the jerseys (or, once again, the home and orange ones should contain purple).

Given that I have the very, very unpopular opinion of actually liking the previous set, I think this is a monster downgrade.

Knowing that almost all of you hate the previous set, I still wonder how anyone cannot be disappointed here.

What I like:

• "Suns" at home, "Phoenix" on the road.
  • The shorts logo combining the wings and the sun
What I hate:
  • Purple on the road and no purple on the other two. I hope this does not become a huge trend. They should either be purple or not. If they want to go black and orange, than just do it. If they don't want to upset fans that want purple, then make it a full-fledged color and use it on all uniforms.
  • The gradient on the home word mark
  • The butt stripe
  • The number font
  • The sleeves
  • The "rays" that are connected to nothing. I am also in the minority in that I hated the 90s look, but if they are going to have rays they need to have more 90s inspiration...like actually having the rays come off the "ball"/"sun". Now they are just a bunch of lines.
Taste is subjective so I almost never say "how could anyone like these?" I did it with the original Oilers edge (rather, "how could anyone think this is not a downgrade"). I won't quite go that far here, but I'd be surprised to see much love.

I didn't really mind the previous set, so I agree that this is a downgrade. Forget Buffaslug, this is more like Dallas - they had the right idea to return to the past, but had horrible execution. Minimizing the purple is a lot like eliminating the gold as well.

I'm DONE, the sunburst on the home shorts are orange and GREY.

GREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HomeShort_zpsa2482647.jpg

The sunburst on the shorts looks like wings to me.

Right. I'd say they almost certainly evoke the wings of a phoenix, rising from the flames of the sun.

SunsShorts_zps84c234a2.jpg

It might be the coolest part of the new uni, but interesting that the phoenix and sun elements on the shorts are so different than those elements in their logo package.

It's also odd how very different the color treatment is on each uniform. The orange wings coming out of the black sun on the orange shorts looked pretty bad to me during the unveiling, partially because the orange wings blend right in to the shorts. Also because the sun is black.

Does this look like an agave and not anything to with the suns to anyone else?

That's the part that bothers me...the shorts logo is completely different than any of the team logos.

I normally hate to agree with LightsOut, but I do here. I HATED the previous set, but I think it was better than this. These are the combination of half-assed over-design and half-assed under-design. Just absolutely disjointed trash. The home jersey doesn't feature their primary color, the streaks lead to nothing, the fonts are awful. The colors are awful. Darkening the purple was a terrible decision. Darkening the orange was a terrible decision. Keeping black AND gray amidst those darker colors was a terrible decision. I don't see a single redeeming quality on these jerseys. Not a logo, not a font, a stripe, or a single color for which I could say, "that part's not bad."

The single digit numbers have WAY too much negative space between the "speed lines" and the number.

Whatever truth there is to this statement, this is the wrong thread...because really, how can we not hate this?

I normally hate to agree with LightsOut, but I do here. I HATED the previous set, but I think it was better than this. These are the combination of half-assed over-design and half-assed under-design. Just absolutely disjointed trash. The home jersey doesn't feature their primary color, the streaks lead to nothing, the fonts are awful. The colors are awful. Darkening the purple was a terrible decision. Darkening the orange was a terrible decision. Keeping black AND gray amidst those darker colors was a terrible decision. I don't see a single redeeming quality on these jerseys. Not a logo, not a font, a stripe, or a single color for which I could say, "that part's not bad."

Serious question. Is purple still their primary color?

Whatever truth there is to this statement, this is the wrong thread...because really, how can we not hate this?

Serious question. Is purple still their primary color?
Not anymore

What I hate:

There is purple on the home and orange alt. The tiny logo above the nameplate is the PHX flaming sun logo, which contains purple.

well those are rather underwhelming. They could've done so much more with that team ID and colors.

These minimalist NBA looks are getting out of hand, and the sleeves just kinda suck.

What I hate:

There is purple on the home and orange alt. The tiny logo above the nameplate is the PHX flaming sun logo, which contains purple.

Less than a dime size worth of purple, does not mean there is purple in the uniform