New Phoenix Suns Uniforms

suns1977

Not good but these are far from the worst set in the league today, let alone ever. Cats, Pelicans, Thunder, and Sixers are worse, off the top of my head.

No, the Thunders' set is light years better than this. The logos are far worse, but the jerseys are actually good. The Sixers and Pelicans are more boring than they should be, but they're not even close to this crap. And while the Bobcats' set blows hard, at least it's cohesively bad, not minimalist yet cluttered.

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny how they seem to be trying to slowly fade out Purple yet the purple uniforms are the best in the whole set :lol: . Anyways i do like some things; the script obviously is good, use of that particular collar (especially on away uniforms) and the new wings thing on the shorts. But it needed to have the whole sun and not just the sun streaks and obviously pretty much everything excluding secondary logo and road uniforms NEEDS PURPLE.

They should have kept it simple and just updated the 92/93 jerseys with new font, collar and wings on short. That alone would have made those one of the best jerseys in the league.

It's funny how they seem to be trying to slowly fade out Purple yet the purple uniforms are the best in the whole set :lol: . Anyways i do like some things; the script obviously is good, use of that particular collar (especially on away uniforms) and the new wings thing on the shorts. But it needed to have the whole sun and not just the sun streaks and obviously pretty much everything excluding secondary logo and road uniforms NEEDS PURPLE.

They should have kept it simple and just updated the 92/93 jerseys with new font, collar and wings on short. That alone would have made those one of the best jerseys in the league.

Everyone seems to be of the same opinion except Robert Sarver.

Join the movement to bring PURPLE and ORANGE back to the Phoenix Suns! Sign the petition HERE.

That said, I want to echo what Mockba said.

You can be as reactionary as you want. Say they suck. I basically have.

Just don't say things like "They spent 20 minutes on this" or "I could have done this in 5 minutes" or any number of things like that which are untrue and insulting on a level beyond a dislike of the work.

It may be surprising, but you can be passionate and reactionary and mature all at the same time!

MOD EDIT

I know that the Suns' previous set is hated around these parts, but I honestly can't see how this new identity is better in any way. I'm sorry, I just can't. Say what you want about the addition of grey, the big stripes down the sides, "PHX" on the alternate, whatever, but at least the identity matched. The logos, jerseys, colors, all matched and had some cohesiveness to them. This new identity package doesn't even manage to do that.

It's a shame, because I actually expected something unimpressive, but not offensive. But this entire identity doesn't match. The color application is off. Each design element looks like it could be from a different set, almost completely unrelated to the other. And what they brought from the past to "update," they half-assed. The unfinished sunburst. The sun/phoenix logo that looks like an aloe vera plant (why didn't they use the wings from their phoenix secondary?). Throw in the black-infused logo, and you really have a disconnected mess. A little cohesion, just a little, would've made this set far better in my eyes. Definite downgrade.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Absolutely terrible. I can't imagine they spent more then 20 minutes on this "identity."

They spent two years on this design.

This is where I'm going to pull out the BrandMoore card (though I'm sure I'm not qualified to use it or whatever): Y'all don't really understand how design works, eh? Just because you don't enjoy the output doesn't mean that there wasn't effort put into it.

2 years eh? Wow...

How do these people have jobs? Seriously. I may not understand all the intricacies of the design process but I know that when you spend 2 years on creating an identity, it should look... you know... good. I'm sure there are 20 people, conservatively, on these boards that could have done better.

Suns had a doodle contest about what people thought the jerseys were before they were unveiled

THis one was on instagram and it looks excellent.

d0GwH8t.jpg

Hey, that's mine!

Nice, too bad the fans aren't on the Suns design team. So many better fan concepts than what the Suns settled on.

Join the movement to bring PURPLE and ORANGE back to the Phoenix Suns! Sign the petition HERE.

Absolutely terrible. I can't imagine they spent more then 20 minutes on this "identity."

They spent two years on this design.

This is where I'm going to pull out the BrandMoore card (though I'm sure I'm not qualified to use it or whatever): Y'all don't really understand how design works, eh? Just because you don't enjoy the output doesn't mean that there wasn't effort put into it.

2 years eh? Wow...

How do these people have jobs? Seriously. I may not understand all the intricacies of the design process but I know that when you spend 2 years on creating an identity, it should look... you know... good. I'm sure there are 20 people, conservatively, on these boards that could have done better.

It's usually quite the opposite. If a design is taking two years that means something in the client/agency relationship is flawed. When it takes that long it means that one party (or both parties) couldn't figure out what they wanted.

Just added them to the mothership:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/238/Phoenix_Suns

After rendering them, they are really not horribly bad. I know my initial reaction was yeah this is terrible. The major error is the faux-pas sun streak with no sun and that was the cause of most let down. This is where the problem lies. Especially on the road and alt, the white is jarring.

They should have entered to Soundgarden's black hole sun. Maybe just for the orange alt.

They are really pushing this 'phoenix rising' thing. The shorts graphic, the horizon thing in the wordmark. Also really pushing the black and orange. It's kind of working. The road isn't so bad, the home at first glance is not particularly pleasing.

Also the extreme pointy-sharpness, they went from super rounded elements to super pointy elements during the change. Even the striping elements.

All the swingmans and replicas in the Suns Shop have the back of neck logos above the nameplate, either S-sun or PHX logo, but rather the ones unveiled show nothing above the nameplate.

hi sir, do you mind if you give me a copy of pdf file or vector file of your rendering on suns uniform. also the numbers rendering pls. :( i just need it.
Knockoff artist?

no i'm not, i'm a nba2k13 modder. it will be easy for me to do the jersey if i have those.

Just don't say things like "They spent 20 minutes on this" or "I could have done this in 5 minutes" or any number of things like that which are untrue and insulting on a level beyond a dislike of the work.

It may be surprising, but you can be passionate and reactionary and mature all at the same time!

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Just added them to the mothership:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/238/Phoenix_Suns

After rendering them, they are really not horribly bad. I know my initial reaction was yeah this is terrible. The major error is the faux-pas sun streak with no sun and that was the cause of most let down. This is where the problem lies. Especially on the road and alt, the white is jarring.

They should have entered to Soundgarden's black hole sun. Maybe just for the orange alt.

They are really pushing this 'phoenix rising' thing. The shorts graphic, the horizon thing in the wordmark. Also really pushing the black and orange. It's kind of working. The road isn't so bad, the home at first glance is not particularly pleasing.

Also the extreme pointy-sharpness, they went from super rounded elements to super pointy elements during the change. Even the striping elements.

All the swingmans and replicas in the Suns Shop have the back of neck logos above the nameplate, either S-sun or PHX logo, but rather the ones unveiled show nothing above the nameplate.

hi sir, do you mind if you give me a copy of pdf file or vector file of your rendering on suns uniform. also the numbers rendering pls. :( i just need it.
Knockoff artist?

no i'm not, i'm a nba2k13 modder. it will be easy for me to do the jersey if i have those.

mrkchrstn, I don't know if that's a valid reason to hand out vectors/source files on CCSLC..don't think we have the authority on that. These are really just for the site. Let's ask a moderator...

fwiw I had this thing (possibly too many rays for embroidery but the idea is there):

PhoenixSuns_ConceptUnis_zps8d55fdbb.png?

/self plug

Now THAT is a good set! Apart from simplifying the rays, I would be completely behind the Suns wearing it. Unfortunately, what we got was a set that was too bad to call good, but too bland to call bad.

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

Archived