Official Petition Launched by Fans to Change US Soccer Crest

Conrad.

I love the crest with the snake. Choosing that would be much less generic/obvious than using an eagle while still being historically significant. But it looks like it's coiling around a volleyball.

There's almost nothing redeeming about the presently-used crest. Imagine you were describing that crest to a blind person. Everything you would say is what's wrong with it. The stripes/star field color swap, gold outline, streaking soccer ball, and italics. I guess the shield shape is fine.

PJU85JF.png

The most important and significant part of the petition is the update from Sunil Gulati (prez of USSF for those of you not in the know):

"Thanks--we are reviewing the crest and will make a decision later this year.

This seems to be more than just a blow-off email of "Thanks for the message; we will consider your input going forward." Sounds to me like this was already something on the table. Whether it is the current centennial shield or a redesign is up in the air. I would think "a decision later this year" would imply prior to signing off on the new World Cup kits.

If we do change crests, I hope it has a classic and simplistic feel much like the centennial. I really like the clear identity it gives the team. The 1950 crest was also fantastic.

The most important and significant part of the petition is the update from Sunil Gulati (prez of USSF for those of you not in the know):

This seems to be more than just a blow-off email of "Thanks for the message; we will consider your input going forward." Sounds to me like this was already something on the table. Whether it is the current centennial shield or a redesign is up in the air. I would think "a decision later this year" would imply prior to signing off on the new World Cup kits.

If we do change crests, I hope it has a classic and simplistic feel much like the centennial. I really like the clear identity it gives the team. The 1950 crest was also fantastic.

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by that!

My brother wrote a letter to bill Clinton in elementary school mostly asking if he played nba jam because I think he was an unlockable player. Anyway, he along with his classmates got a pleasant letter thanking him for his interest in the country and whatnot. My point is that this is not that. They may stick with the current design, but even if that's the case, it sounds like they really are considering other options and that's awesome to hear.

And I have that 1950s 3/4 sleeve throwback ;)

Conrad, they really should have asked to use your wallpaper version rather than what they're currently using. They might have gotten a few more signatures!

Thanks for the wallpaper too btw

Yeah, agreed. The version they used looks terrible.

Um... Whats the difference?

It's the same one, but one looks like a beautiful piece of art and the othe one looks like it was taken with a potato.

My brother wrote a letter to bill Clinton in elementary school mostly asking if he played nba jam because I think he was an unlockable player. Anyway, he along with his classmates got a pleasant letter thanking him for his interest in the country and whatnot. My point is that this is not that. They may stick with the current design, but even if that's the case, it sounds like they really are considering other options and that's awesome to hear.

Dude please sell it to me. :notworthy: This is probably my most sought after top! They are always ridiculously expensive on eBay and don't pop up too often. The 3/4 length is beautiful with the red sash and vintage styling.

I would love to see the centennial crest stay around as it is a great improvement over the current, which isn't hard to do. I disagree with those that say the centennial is too simple, but I'd argue that it's simplicity helps it look more in line with crests from other national teams. The current looks like a bad 90s MLS logo.

Conrad, they really should have asked to use your wallpaper version rather than what they're currently using. They might have gotten a few more signatures!

Thanks for the wallpaper too btw

Yeah, agreed. The version they used looks terrible.

Um... Whats the difference?

It's the same one, but one looks like a beautiful piece of art and the othe one looks like it was taken with a potato.

Seriously, they would get a lot more signatures if they would have used Conrad's work or a higher quality picture.

Dude please sell it to me. :notworthy: This is probably my most sought after top! They are always ridiculously expensive on eBay and don't pop up too often. The 3/4 length is beautiful with the red sash and vintage styling.

haha and i think it was like less than 10 bucks at a marshalls a few years back!

and idk about selling it, lol. It would take a lot to convince me, it's a beautiful jersey!

All the concepts I've seen out there are better than the current. Haven't seen the "one" yet though. I like the centennial but I feel like it can be better than that.

Yeah, I've felt the same way about all of these. Which makes sense since it's pretty easy to make it better than the current.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

60501_10151870286192176_1537498039_n.jpg

I'd rather have the current crest or the crest above than the centennial crest. Nothing about the centennial version says soccer. It looks too much like something Captain America would have.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Archived