Sign in to follow this  
BlueSky

NFL Pencils

I used to collect these as a kid too. I think it was kind of funny I have an Oilers and a Titans one. Lost a bunch of them since I started, broke a few, and now all I have is a bunch of duplicates.

yi4t.jpg

These were the ones I remember. I used to write with these all the time in elementary school. They were a trend amongst my classmates. We use to trade and talk about them all the time. Thank you for bringing back a memory for me by creating this thread!!

A new, unopened set would have set you back $2.19 back in the late 70s...

SearsWishbook.1979C.P048.jpg

Dammit, I want that Broncos pennant!

Dammit, I want that Broncos pennant!
My mother worked for Sears when i was a kid. I have that Broncos pennant or one very similar to it.

I must have that spiral notebook...

That is a really good collection. I used to have a lot of these. In the late 80s and early 90s I also used to collect the NFL pencils with the team wordmark, helmets, and logo...looked like these

IMAG0017.jpg

Baseball had cool pencils in 1993 or 1994 or so.

I used to have these when I was in grade school. These and our class activities with the Pro Set cards is what got me interested in sports logos. It's how I feel in love with the early 90's logos like the Eagles, Seahawks, Buccaneers.

Pentech made these, correct? Wish that company was still around or another one would pick this concept up.

I used to collect these as a kid too. I think it was kind of funny I have an Oilers and a Titans one. Lost a bunch of them since I started, broke a few, and now all I have is a bunch of duplicates.

yi4t.jpg

These are the ones I have a ton of

Mrs. Bluesky, the same woman who rolls her eyes whenever this board is mentioned, somehow managed to compile quite a pencil collection as a child.

pencils_zps7d82bf79.jpg

I asked why and she said they were just fun to collect. They're all in mint condition. Interesting how the Cowboys have the silver-blue (it's really gray). At first I thought that was just how the pencil people represented silver but look at the Raiders. Colts, Oilers, Rams, and Cardinals were all in their old cities.

Sorry about the random order, I didn't have the patience to lay them out alphabetically or by division.

Those are awesome! I used to have these when I was in school, in the early to mid 80's. I probably went thru a couple of different sets. Great memories. Thanks for posting. I remember every single one.

threads like this are why I love this place.

A couple weeks ago my mom gave me a Missouri Tigers pencil I had gotten out of a machine at school and being a young Kansas fan I wrote "uck" in white out after Tigers.

Mrs. Bluesky, the same woman who rolls her eyes whenever this board is mentioned, somehow managed to compile quite a pencil collection as a child.

I asked why and she said they were just fun to collect. They're all in mint condition. Interesting how the Cowboys have the silver-blue (it's really gray). At first I thought that was just how the pencil people represented silver but look at the Raiders. Colts, Oilers, Rams, and Cardinals were all in their old cities.

Sorry about the random order, I didn't have the patience to lay them out alphabetically or by division.

Those are awesome! I used to have these when I was in school, in the early to mid 80's. I probably went thru a couple of different sets. Great memories. Thanks for posting. I remember every single one.

I had many of these too. My elementary school had a pencil machine that gave two for a quarter and for a long time they were the NFL (and also MLB) pencils with the lines on 'em (as are in the minority of these pencils, like the Falcons one 4th from bottom). I loved em. I also bought the "unlined" ones in AFC and NFC packs. I took 'em all out of the pack and used them in reverse order of how much I liked the team (Vikings last).

I have these sitting in a drawer right here...

IMG_1506_zpsf8a75c73.jpg

That's the set I had!!! I wouldn't sharpen past those pretty stripes!

Wow! Used to get these in the mid-90s for school too. Used to sharpen the crap out of the teams I hated haha!

That is a really good collection. I used to have a lot of these. In the late 80s and early 90s I also used to collect the NFL pencils with the team wordmark, helmets, and logo...looked like these

IMAG0017.jpg

I had a ton of those in 7th grade! ('92-'93)

Reading this post made me go through an old box thinking I had kept some of those around. And I was right. I have a complete set of MLB and a majority of the other 3 sports. NBA all but the Lakers, Bucks and Nets; NHL all but the Nordiques (Damn!) but have the Whalers which is nice; and the NFL all but the 49ers and Dolphins. The Jaguars pencil has the helmet that they never wore which I can't think of many items I have seen over the years that had that. Sorry the pictures are so big, got tired of trying how to make them smaller..

20130805_092515_zps8bc21c19.jpg

20130805_092531_zps80e14920.jpg20130805_091949_zps9ee56a77.jpg20130805_091524_zps6ade58fb.jpg

20130805_094621_zps4513597b.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

Think I got a set of these when I was a kid and signed up for the NFL SuperPro Club (1980's NFL Kid's Club thing). I remember using the team's I liked the least first, so basically the Bears and Packers were down to a nub and an eraser within a week. LOL :D

Yep, a trip down memory lane here. My elementary school had a machine that sold notebooks, pencils, and erasers. When we'd get word that the pencil machine got filled with sports pencils, we'd go blow our lunch money on them and trade. I remember getting the solid-colored NFL pencils (like in the post above) and white NBA pencils (pic below) around '92-93.

$T2eC16R,!yME9s5qH!eZBRt7JcJLmw~~60_57.J

The ones with horizontal stripes and "in-motion" baseball/football in the middle came around 1995, I didn't like those as much, they were made out of weird almost-rubbery stuff, and the older ones were made out of actual wood.

I think it's funny that you guys used the teams you didn't like first - I absolutely wouldn't use teams I didn't like. I'd trade them all for 49ers/Hornets/Braves pencils, and have a stockpile to go through when each team was in-season.