Small details that bother you

Something that I have never understood is the Mets retired numbers. I understand the Mets went through the late 90s and the whole 2000s with this black phase where black was a primary color for the them. Thankfully in 2012 they got rid of the black and stuck to their blue and orange. However, the retired numbers in left field did not get the message. I am 100% sure that Gil Hodges, Tom Seaver, and Casey Stengel did not have a black trim on their respective 14, 41, and 37. But the Mets still have them and it annoys the :censored: out of me. I don't mind the Shea with the black trim that much, but the numbers HAVE TO change.

261n2n5.jpg

They retired "Shea"? Does that mean they can never have another ballpark named Shea, or never have another player named Shea?

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's in honor of William Shea, a lawyer who helped bring the Mets to New York.

We all know that. It was just a joke, we didn't need to know the history of the name.
Do we all know that? And how would you know it's a joke?

It's in honor of William Shea, a lawyer who helped bring the Mets to New York.

We all know that. It was just a joke, we didn't need to know the history of the name.
Do we all know that? And how would you know it's a joke?

Do you know what could help you sort through these important issues?

BI9VNXi.gif

Using words like "groovy" and "rad" to promote a "1979" Turn Back the Clock game.

As if the words themselves aren't annoying enough, if they're being used to describe something related to 1979, they're being used out of time. Regardless of when these words were coined, "groovy" is better-suited to something from the 60s and "rad" is better-suited to something from the late 80s, when it was popularized by the Ninja Turtles.

If the Mariners take the field this Saturday wearing "1979" uniforms wearing jerseys without a star trident patch, that will bother me. Apart from a tweet the day this game was announced, I have not seen any mention of it. None of the promo images I've seen have included the star trident patch on the left sleeve of the jersey. Why specify "1979" if you not going to do it right? I want to see star trident patches and I want to see a star trident batting helmet, even though I cannot stand white front panel caps or helmets. Being a proponent of the Mariners' greatest logo and Back to the Future initiative, this is probably the closest thing to an aesthetic highlight, I'll get to experience. I'll probably be disappointed since Majestic goes out of their way to destroy the sport. Also, 1979, how many said the word "groovy" and gave peace signs then?

Turn Back the Clock to "1979" promo with no star trident patch to be seen.

Bn2xuWeCMAApgxJ.jpg

If the Mariners take the field this Saturday wearing "1979" uniforms wearing jerseys without a star trident patch, that will bother me. Apart from a tweet the day this game was announced, I have not seen any mention of it. None of the promo images I've seen have included the star trident patch on the left sleeve of the jersey. Why specify "1979" if you not going to do it right? I want to see star trident patches and I want to see a star trident batting helmet, even though I cannot stand white front panel caps or helmets. Being a proponent of the Mariners' greatest logo and Back to the Future initiative, this is probably the closest thing to an aesthetic highlight, I'll get to experience. I'll probably be disappointed since Majestic goes out of their way to destroy the sport. Also, 1979, how many said the word "groovy" and gave peace signs then?

Small Detail that bothers me about this TBTC game is that the Astros and Mariners are turning it back to 1979 and their playing outdoors?!?!?

Logic Not even once

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

Small Detail that bothers me about this TBTC game is that the Astros and Mariners are turning it back to 1979 and their playing outdoors?!?!?

Logic Not even once

The roof could be closed!

Logic Not even once

If it's not in the Kingdom and played in the year 1979, I will refuse to recognize it as a throwback game. This ridiculous nonsense is totally nonsensical, how date they?

Logic Not even once

If it's not in the Kingdom and played in the year 1979, I will refuse to recognize it as a throwback game. This ridiculous nonsense is totally nonsensical, how date they?

sadly it can't be at the Astrodome

or the Kingdome

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Only the outer stair/ramp things went down, and those were added in the 80's (they were demolished so the government could better evaluate the original structure). Also, I'm pretty sure it'd require several million dollars to get the Astrodome working for even a one-time event.

Archived