Time For Arizona Cardinals To Change Name

suns1977

How about the Arizona Phoenix and use that mystical bird as the logo?

Only if they move to Phoenix-proper. The Arizona Phoenix, playing in Phoenix, Arizona :upside:

It would play in so nicely for Glendale. The Arizona Phoenix playing in the University of Phoenix Stadium outside of Glendale, Arizona :P

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a die-hard Cardinals fan since most of you were even born (I go back to 1969, when I was 6), but even I would have supported a name change back in '88. "Firebirds" would have been my choice - they even could have kept a Red bird on the helmet.

Now however, it would be horribly costly to change - not only for merchandise, but the myriad of logos all over University of Phoenix Stadium itself. Including on every permanent seat in the place.

Little known fact - the very first sighting of a northern cardinal bird in the state of Arizona was in the year - wait for it - 1988.

I kid you not.

Oh - and on one of the AZ Cardinals boards I frequent, one of the now late members of the forum was a bird watcher and was a fan of the Pyrrhuloxia - the Desert Cardinal. I made this for his avatar:

ArizonaPyrrhuloxias_PRM_9999.png

I remember in the mid 80's, before the relocation, Bart Starr, a Phoenix resident at the time, was one of a few people trying to get a NFL franchise to come to Phoenix and the name I remember him going with was.....the Arizona Firebirds. Glad to see someone else thinks it's an awesome name.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

I'd re-name them the Phoenix Cardinals again. :)

If we're going to get this picky about where birds live...there's not even an actual creature called a Seahawk and I live near Philly and rarely see any eagles.

It's a nickname for the Osprey, and just look at the photo, you can tell that's where the nickname comes from. The logo even has the same color separation as the birds' head/face.

450px-Osprey_mg_9605.jpg

Where is the lime green on that bird?

If the Jaguars move to LA, give them the Rams name and branding, give St. Louis the Cardinals name, and let the Arizona team pick its name. :) Some excellent suggestions have been made here, by the way.

Actually, Cardinals are found in the south-southeast part of Arizona. Below is a map showing where Cardinals can be found in the North America.

You used wikipedia for the Northern Cardinal.

The Desert Cardinal (Pyrrhuloxia)

Well then. Didn't even know there was such a thing as a Desert Cardinal, but if the Arizona Cardinals adopted a color scheme more similar to the Coyotes, this would totally fit!

I'd re-name them the Phoenix Cardinals again. :)

If we're going to get this picky about where birds live...there's not even an actual creature called a Seahawk and I live near Philly and rarely see any eagles.

It's a nickname for the Osprey, and just look at the photo, you can tell that's where the nickname comes from. The logo even has the same color separation as the birds' head/face.

450px-Osprey_mg_9605.jpg

Where is the lime green on that bird?

If the Jaguars move to LA, give them the Rams name and branding, give St. Louis the Cardinals name, and let the Arizona team pick its name. :) Some excellent suggestions have been made here, by the way.

Winner. Expensive but everyone wins...except for the owners footing this bill. :D

Then when the Chargers join the Rams in L.A., they can change back to powder blue so they don't look like the blue and yellow Rams.

Now...if we can only bring back the Oilers name somehow...

...San Antonio Texans expansion team.

Everything is right again...except for the Eagles not using Kelly Green.

87Redskins.png

How about the Arizona Phoenix and use that mystical bird as the logo?

Only if they move to Phoenix-proper. The Arizona Phoenix, playing in Phoenix, Arizona :upside:

The Arizona Phoenix of Glendale.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I've been a die-hard Cardinals fan since most of you were even born (I go back to 1969, when I was 6), but even I would have supported a name change back in '88. "Firebirds" would have been my choice - they even could have kept a Red bird on the helmet.]

Firebirds would've been a very nice option. I think that's a great fit. Cardinals is fine, but if they did ever change I think Firebirds would be the the most acceptable option

That was the name an expansion group, headed by Bart Starr, wanted many years ago for the team, Arizona Firebirds

And yes, comical answers are desired here.

At the time, my dad suggested that they should be the Phoenix Phoenixes. And suggested that, given the difficult pronunciation, that it would evolve into something off-color.

Was a name change ever discussed at the time? I remember football cards and/or magazines listing only "Phoenix" in the offseason, in schedules and table where the full city + nickname was used for every other franchise.

Any name that is not a "real" thing and contains a descriptor just screams minor league or scholastic.

"Sea Dogs", "Ice Cats", "River Cats", etc. I'll include "Firebirds" and even "Sea Hawks" on this list (though I'm on the fence with Sea Hawks.)

Red Sox and White Sox are kind of grandfathered in due to the origin and how long they've been in use (and they're not gimmicky and made up to have some kind of cool mascot and sell gear to kids.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Was a name change ever discussed at the time? I remember football cards and/or magazines listing only "Phoenix" in the offseason, in schedules and table where the full city + nickname was used for every other franchise.

No - Mr. Bidwill was always pretty adamant about that one.

And for the record - the proposed expansion team from the '70s was to be named the Phoenix Firebirds. NOT "Arizona".

No - Mr. Bidwill was always pretty adamant about that one.

And for the record - the proposed expansion team from the '70s was to be named the Phoenix Firebirds. NOT "Arizona".

You are incorrect, and if I can find the old article I will post it, it was Arizona Firebirds because the work Phoenix means a firebird.

Any name that is not a "real" thing and contains a descriptor just screams minor league or scholastic.

"Sea Dogs", "Ice Cats", "River Cats", etc. I'll include "Firebirds" and even "Sea Hawks" on this list (though I'm on the fence with Sea Hawks.)

Red Sox and White Sox are kind of grandfathered in due to the origin and how long they've been in use (and they're not gimmicky and made up to have some kind of cool mascot and sell gear to kids.)

You are missing the Dog River River Dogs.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Archived