Fight, Fight, Fight for Washington State

DomTheAthlete29

You veteran CCSLC’ers out there may recognize my name as the infamous DomTheAthlete29 or perhaps you may remember my short tenure under the name italianstallion29? When I first joined this site in 2006, I was thirteen years old, and like most thirteen year-olds I was far too immature to act properly on the Internet. After annoying numerous members, harassing the fantasy community, and ultimately throwing one of the biggest temper tantrums this board has ever seen my account was rightfully banned. Right around this time however, I began going through puberty in which my passion for sports aesthetics was quickly replaced with the next best thing, girls. As the years went by these boards soon became a long forgotten memory; that was until I stumbled over one of my old uniform drawings while cleaning out some old drawers at my parents’ house. Since it’s been nearly 8 years or so since my banishment, I thought I should try this forum again in hopes of making new friends who share a common interest in sports. Looking back I find my actions quite hilarious and amusing, but I offer my sincerest apologizes to these boards to anyone I may have disrespected or offended. I really hope given these circumstances the board will welcome me back with a clean slate and allow me to make a new name for myself.

I loved when the Cougars refreshed their look a few years ago; the colors now were consistent across all their athletic programs. The typography they came up with was also a vast improvement. Also helps that their primary logo may just be the best in all of college athletics.

My main issue with the Cougars’ current branding package is that they added a second gray to the uniforms (primarily in football). So I really made it my goal to stick to a two-color palate with Crimson and Gray. Also I felt as if the typography had unnecessary serifs especially on the numerals, so I did away with those.

Onto the uniforms… I really like what the football team did with their uniforms for the most part and felt like that identity would transfer over to a baseball uniform quite nicely. As for the chest scripts the cursive “Cougars” for the home is replaced with the new typography, “WSU” makes it on the road sets, and “Cougs” makes it on the alternate. Out goes the “Washington State” script they currently use on the road, as I feel it’s too bulky to use on the front of a baseball uniform. The caps remain untouched, feel as this keeps the team in line with the ‘honoring the past, live the present, create the future’ motto the school used during its rebrand. I also added a pinstriped ‘throwback’ to tie into the past as well, which features one of my favorite script logos on the front.

The overall impression I aimed for with this is to appear more cohesive between the athletic programs. Let me know what you think.

logo1_zps15c59c79.png

logo2_zps63573b08.png

Home_zpse71285dc.png

road_zps0fa67272.png

ALT_zps261bbd46.png

throwback_zpsb74232ff.png

teams.gif

Someone be a World Champ, please!

Fantasy Football Keeper League.....PM me if you want to join!!

The plain "w" just doesn't work on the caps. You can't use it considering UW uses just a W. You need to use something else, have it say "WSU", use the cougar logo, just something else.

The school has used a plain "W" on baseball hats for decades. I had a crimson hat with a gray W back in '92 and thought it was great. The W works. Plus...the W the Huskies use is completely different.

I like this concept except for the shoulder loops. Looks too batting practice-ish.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Wait, Dominic Greco? I got a file with PDF comments on it from chrisCLEMENT with that name listed as the commenter...

Uh...

Chris and I know each other, he graduated from my HS [Puyallup] a few years before me [2009] and I recently sold him my old MacBook Pro. I probably wouldn't have gotten back on this site if he didn't remind me about it.

teams.gif

I happen to know exactly what you are talking but still.. develop your OWN identity. Put it this way, Oregon uses an "O". Oregon state, however went away from using an "O" and now use an "OS" or at times "OSU". Both schools have their own identities, whereas here, WSU and UW seem to be fighting over which gets to own the "W". Well, UW has used it forever, longer than your cougars, and they will continue using it for years and decades to come. WSU needs to use exactly that, "WSU" on their caps, or atleast "WS". something different needs to be done instead of a simple, elementary at best "W"

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I happen to know exactly what you are talking but still.. develop your OWN identity. Put it this way, Oregon uses an "O". Oregon state, however went away from using an "O" and now use an "OS" or at times "OSU". Both schools have their own identities, whereas here, WSU and UW seem to be fighting over which gets to own the "W". Well, UW has used it forever, longer than your cougars, and they will continue using it for years and decades to come. WSU needs to use exactly that, "WSU" on their caps, or atleast "WS". something different needs to be done instead of a simple, elementary at best "W".

No one confuses gold and purple with crimson and gray. There's really no reason for WSU to go away from the W when it's pretty identifiable as is.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Wait, Dominic Greco? I got a file with PDF comments on it from chrisCLEMENT with that name listed as the commenter...

Uh...

Chris and I know each other, he graduated from my HS [Puyallup] a few years before me [2009] and I recently sold him my old MacBook Pro. I probably wouldn't have gotten back on this site if he didn't remind me about it.

Dom and I are in fact friends, like he said. We have known one another for several years now, his sister dated my brother back in high school.. That's how we met. He's a good guy! Glad to see him on the boards.

What about Wyoming? Wisconsin? Wofford? The W is fine. Wazzu has used it forever.

I'm not digging the throwback. They've used a different script for their baseball uniforms that looks pretty good.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

A good guy who happens to be circumventing a ban...

Yes I was banned LMU, but like I said previously I totally deserved it. I was absolutely a troll and I am sincerely apologetic about how I acted. I was extremely young and immature, all I'm asking for here in a new slate. I want to make new friends and improve as a designer. I really would love to be apart of these boards again, this time as an adult.

As for the concept, thanks for the critiques Jim, WSU, and Monkey. I will make sure to take a look at those when I update this set in the future.

teams.gif

A good guy who happens to be circumventing a ban...

Yes I was banned LMU, but like I said previously I totally deserved it. I was absolutely a troll and I am sincerely apologetic about how I acted. I was extremely young and immature, all I'm asking for here in a new slate. I want to make new friends and improve as a designer. I really would love to be apart of these boards again, this time as an adult.

As for the concept, thanks for the critiques Jim, WSU, and Monkey. I will make sure to take a look at those when I update this set in the future.

My guess is the moderating team is probably going to decide that you deserve it again. They tend to frown on someone using a dupe account to circumvent a ban. You might want to move fast on those updates.

BB52Big.jpg

I like the WSU jerseys, even as a Huskies fan. The W on the cap is fine IMO. I don't see the huge problem. Welcome back if the admins keep you around. I'm firm believer in a second change to prove yourself if that helps your case any.

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

UPDATE 1

- The W on the hat remains. Yes, both UW and WSU use W's on there hats, but it's been that way as long as I can remember [and as far back as google has let me search].

- Crimson striping is replaced on the white uniforms in favor of gray, much like the football uniforms. Helps the striping match on the pants and jerseys when paired with the crimson jersey as well.

- Pant stripe is also lengthened. Once again in order to be more consistent with the football uniforms.

- "Cougs" script is replaced in favor of "Cougars".

- Throwback remains untouched for now, but as per Jimmy's suggestions change is forthcoming

teams.gif

Archived